General 2022 ALDS/NLDS thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum General 2022 ALDS/NLDS thread

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 125 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Cannot stand Dusty Baker. With those ridiculous sweat or arm bands he wears along with that stupid toothpick, he seems like a complete moron to me. A total imbecile.

r/Esteemed Rat

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

BikeMike…That 3 run walk-off tater may have been an early death knell for Seattle. I always pull for the underdogs when the Redbirds aren’t involved, but realistically, Houston’s my favorite to win it all this season. Dusty will finally find his way off of TLR’s lap…Haha!

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Rats…Haha! You really won’t like it when old Dusty wins it all this seson…

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I am similar to 1TD in that I am a baseball fan, whose favorite team (by far) is the Cardinals.

But from the time I was a kid on up to today, there are other teams and players I like. Of the teams left I like the Mariners best. I really don’t mind the Yankees either. I mean a franchise that features a legendary history with Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Jeter and Judge is hard not to like.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Let’s all hope Marmol’s watching. He can learn a lot from Tito, Thomson, Roberts and even old Dusty…

Cards667
    Participant

Free

There ya go Willie. Hay bay with a HR

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

BikeMike… I don’t know how a baseball fan cannot respect the NY Yankees. The mere uniform demands respect…

Cards667
    Participant

Free

even old Dusty

I hope not. I’ve never been able to stand Dusty. I loved the fact TLR hated him because I did too. And Dusty is known for ruining some bull pen arms, and Marmol doesn’t need to learn that.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Cards667…Marmol may have ruined a BP arm in his first try…

1982 willie
    Participant

Ah 1tough, as my boy bader just launched a homer to tie things up, I’m just busy this year with a new grandson and have other stuff going on. Plus while I like the Yankees, I don’t care much for anyone else. Would have loved to see Baltimore come through though, still good baby steps. I’ll watch some but the Cardinals just bummed me out especially losing to the Phillies. I just wasn’t as high on them as others are. Plus it’s fall and prime hiking and walking season.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

I don’t know how a baseball fan cannot respect the NY Yankees. The mere uniform demands respect…

Order of who’s left I want to win
    1. Braves
    2. Guardians
    3. Mariners
    4. Dodgers
    5. Padres
    6. Astros
    7. Yankees
    8. Phillies

I absolutely hate all NY and Philadelphia sports teams. But I’ll put the Yankees above the Phillies for Bader and Carpenter. I can’t root for the Astros and Dusty Baker. Padres have Machado and Soto who I respect as players but don’t like their antics, but also have quite a few pitchers I root for. It’s hard for me to put the Dodgers up that high becoming the Yankees of the west and having such ridiculous pay roll, but they have a lot of players I like with Freeman, T. Turner, Smith, Taylor, Trienen. Guardians and Mariners are both pretty neutral to me, but neither has had much success lately and Mariners never have a World Series and Guardians not since 1948. So I could root for them. And the Braves were always a team that I followed pretty close when I was young because of them being on TBS and I watched them a lot if I couldn’t watch the Cardinals, so I’ve never hated them and I like Swanson, Olsen, Riley, McHugh…but I don’t like Acuna at all either.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1982 willie
    Participant

Nice to see bader have some success there. Just watched Donaldson hit a ball that looked gone so he started trotting but supposedly hit top of wall and bounced back. Outfielder got it threw it in and they tagged Donaldson. They reviewed it but called him out. I thought it bounced back and hit the bar behind wall or the beer guys chest, couldn’t tell exactly. Regardless why can’t MLB at least for post season have multiple cameras down the sides of the walls so you have a better look. You could use those cameras they stick in front of plate, doesn’t have to be big fancy stuff. It wouldn’t fix everything but it would fix a lot.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

This also got me thinking about former Cardinals in the playoffs.

Braves – Ozuna
    Guardians – None; Mercado was earlier this season
    Mariners – None; Marco Gonzalez not on roster
    Dodgers – None
    Padres – Luis Garcia; Crismatt not on roster
    Astros – Aledmys Diaz
    Yankees – Bader, Carpenter
    Phillies – Sosa; Munoz not on roster

I couldn’t think of anymore and quickly scanned through the rosters, so i think thats all od them. Also going through this there are a lot of former Cubs. Yankees alone have Donaldson, Torres, Rizzo, Chapman, Effross that I know off the top of my head were Cubs at some point and on their roster, IL, or AWOL from them right now.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Yes 1TD, Albert 5th might have helped. Line up construction matters.

Having very slow baserunners also takes a ton of pressure off the defense and leads to burning the bench to pinch run.

The Cardinals will look a lot different next season and if they (a) get a good starting catcher, (b) get a front line starting pitcher, and (c) get an outfielder that contributes to the offense then they will likely be better – maybe a lot better.

Carlson and Nootbar have to improve at the plate or become the #4. Carlson was a major disappointment for me this year.

Don’t know what to really make of Dickerson….

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wouldn’t say I am rooting for any particular remaining team but I do respect the Yankees tradition. Lou Gehrig is my all time favorite player.

I have a lot of respect for the Dodgers front office. They do a lot of different things to put a good team on the field besides write checks.

I have a ton of respect for Terry Francona of the Guardians. I think he is the best manager in baseball. He does a lot with a tiny budget.

The other five teams I could care less about.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Let’s all hope Marmol’s watching. He can learn a lot from Tito, Thomson, Roberts and even old Dusty…

What is he going to learn from Thomson? He has been a manager less time than Ollie has.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

gscottar…He won’t learn anything at all unless he pays close attention to his peers. Those that I mentioned collectively possess over 100 years more experience both managing and coaching baseball at the professional level than he does. Marmol did okay during the regular season and then failed miserably once he was exposed to the pressure of high stakes post-season baseball. Not only did he fail, but he refuses to acknowlege that failure. Both of his best players publicly acknowledged a lackluster performance and I admire them for doing so. Why hasn’t Marmol done so? Prior to the opener, he entirley forgot the formula that allowed his ballclub to qualify for post-season play and commenced to get cute when filling out his line-up card. He then removed a SP’er who was recording outs like clockwork and was at 75 pitches. He then placed an injured pitcher in a 2-0 game and assigned him to record 5 outs. When that didn’t work, he pulled his IF in with the bases jammed and a 2-1 lead at HOME. He single handedly threw that ballgame into the fire. The simple fact is that he made numerous inane decisions and he doesn’t even have the testicular fortitude to man up and acknowledged that he did so. In my view, he should pay close attention to his more experienced peers…

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I wonder why the whiz kids at MLB made the decision to play 4 games yesterday and then give the AL teams an off day today? It doesn’t even qualify to be termed nonsense.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I suppose we will rehash the Philly series all winter. There were definitely some questionable decisions made by the manager but if the players do their job we are having a different discussion.

Rookie managers are always going to be under the microscope. He guided us to 93 wins and a division title and hopefully that isn’t forgotten even though we are all disappointed with how things finished.

The is the third rookie manager we have hired in a row. The front office obviously likes going that route so we should probably learn to live with that approach.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

gscottar…I agree with eveything you said. Marmol displayed a nice 6 months of Big League managerial work during the regular season. It’s the primary reason that I’m so astonished by how he seemingly reverted to someone who was suffering from amnesia for the one most important game that he had managed to that point in time. And I apologize for beating a dead horse, but both Goldschmidt and Arenado have publicly acknowledged their failure to produce in the post-season. I would expect Marmol to do the same. It’s a simple case of accountability and he’d only help his own cause by doing so.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I wonder why the whiz kids at MLB made the decision to play 4 games yesterday and then give the AL teams an off day today? It doesn’t even qualify to be termed nonsense.

They’ve been doing this for years, 1td. It all goes back to how they can deconflict/spread viewership to maximize — wait for it, wait for it — sponsorship dollars. Yep, that came as a big shock to me when I first figured it out, haha.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

EuroDandy…Yeah. I get that, but you wouldn’t have thought they’d go against the grain and feature all 4 openers yesterday. I guess they use that first day to get you on the hook…Haha!

1982 willie
    Participant

I listened to the call of baders homerun by the Yankees radio announcer, it was excellent.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

1982willie…Yeah, it was fun to see him tater-up in pin stripes at Yankee Stasium. Don’t you get the broadcast on TV, Willie?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 125 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.