Former Politics in Sports thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Former Politics in Sports thread

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Have any opposing players been quoted stating this supposed concern or are you assuming playing makeup doubleheaders to be a problem for them? I haven’t seen it.

What I have seen is an avalanche of support from players, managers and front office personnel alike. They don’t seem to be bothered by any relatively minor inconvenience. Anytime it rains, a game gets rescheduled. It isn’t like they have to reinvent the wheel as a result.

However, in the Cardinals case, their uniquely-jammed schedule was mentioned as one reason they did not postpone any games.

bccran
    Participant

A little different this year because of the shortened schedule, B. Each game has more meaning. Cancelling a game forces two unnatural 7 inning games, affects your pitching staff because of juggling, etc.
    You don’t hear complaints because it wouldn’t be PC.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Have any opposing players been quoted stating this supposed concern or are you assuming playing makeup doubleheaders to be a problem for them? I haven’t seen it.

This can’t be a serious comment. Or have you forgotten the well-deserved condemnation Brees received after his imprudent, audacious, and grossly insensitive statement of saying he would stand for the flag to honor his two grandfathers, who risked their lives in WWII? Cancel culture doesn’t want legitimate conversation, so they won’t get it.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Brian wrote: Have any opposing players been quoted stating this supposed concern or are you assuming playing makeup doubleheaders to be a problem for them? I haven’t seen it.

Brian I am sure you know as well as I do that if you publicly state your opposition to them airing their political views you will be squashed like a bug on a windshield. That is just the way it is these days (in the land of free speech).

Cardsfan70
    Participant

Free

The “unrest” that is loose in our country just saddens me. I have been a Cards fan for 60 years or so, since I was around 9 or 10. I kept telling my wife I can’t wait to see baseball again, to get a respite from all the madness. To my great dismay I see some of these kids buying into the BLM craziness. Yes it is craziness – go look at their website. Do YOU want to abolish the nuclear family? They do. That is just the start.

I know nothing about forums, just stumbled across this and wanted to vent. This post will likely be deleted I guess, more of the free speech we used to have, gone. If it stays up and you want to debate me don’t bother. I will read it but likely not reply. So, if I am so butt hurt, have I stopped watching games, you ask. Not yet, but when I do watch the old feeling is not there, and my great fear is that it never will be again. I used to look to sports to escape the crap in the “real” world. Thanks for reading.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Cardsfan70 you are not alone about just losing that feeling. I NEVER turn games off regardless of the score but this season I have turned off two – the opener with the logo painted on the mound and last nights game because I just didn’t much care anymore about what happened. This country just can’t deal with a pandemic and a election in the same year with the amount of hate that is going around. I used to watch other MLB games when the Cards were not on but I just can’t find the interest to do than anymore. Just one terrible year in what I think may be one of my last on God’s green earth.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardsfan70, I am trying to be gracious and explain since you are new here. On the other hand, being totally honest, I am naturally wary of those who have never posted here about Cardinals baseball in the past, but show up just to comment on this matter, and further do not plan to join us in future baseball discussions either.

In this second thread on this topic, site regulars have discussed the broad issues without people laying their personal opinions about specific matters like BLM on others. That is important because otherwise, other people spring up to defend their contrasting point of view and it degrades into an ugly argument about issues that are not related to Cardinals baseball.

On the “free speech” plea, you can say whatever you want elsewhere, but here, you must follow the rules. If you read the discussion above, many members of this community understand and respect the rules the way they are. I hope your enjoyment for the game eventually returns and you change your mind and decide to post here again – about Cardinals baseball. Thank you.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Euro and MM3, I accept your points about people being careful about speaking out for fear of reprisal. But also the reality of today’s world is of instant communications fueled by social media. If there was an undercurrent of discontent of any significance, someone would say something and it would be picked up on. Further, public figures know how to get information out via anonymous and informal channels if they are really upset.

Maybe we will hear about grumbling later, but c’mon, we are talking about a one-game postponement for some teams only. Basically it impacted any MLB player no more than a rainout. If anyone seriously whines about that hurting them professionally, because they have to play one DH in the future (as was originally speculated by bccran), it would appear very shallow and self-centered indeed.

I do get the angle that because it was a relatively easy move to make, it also made it easier for support to appear to be unanimous. I just don’t see anything of substance for me to suspect this is a real issue of ongoing concern – as opposed to speculation.

And for us here, it matters none. The Cardinals did not postpone any games.

1982 willie
    Participant

Human rights and equality arent political issues in my opinion. The players are people not robots so they have a right to react to perceived issues. Usually though, you can avoid most of it while watching a game. The announcers are the biggest problem but just turn down the volume. I had some issues with the national anthem protest but i just tuned in later or did something else in that time. I do have issues with the freedom of speech issues going on and im not a fan of protest that damage property and hurt people. So im ok with the players speaking out and sitting out as opposed to damaging property and such.

alexw1020
    Participant

At least the rest of the team has stood with Flaherty and Fowler by not showing up to work the last few days. Wonder how much longer their strike will last.

Cardsfan70
    Participant

Free

Thank you, that is quite clear.

Cardsfan70
    Participant

Free

Mr. Walton, I appreciate your feedback and your point of view. I come at this as an older Cards fan, as I said, and have never before in my life posted on a forum.

I tried to be gracious and express my point of view. Apparently one must not violate the forum rules and I get that. I am a rules kind of person, which is precisely one big reason I dislike what is happening. You are quite likely too young to remember people like Stan Musial or Bob Gibson, my childhood heroes. I find it very hard to believe they would countenance this type of behavior by players, but perhaps I am wrong. I posted to this forum in an effort to vent my feelings. If I am violating some rules or etiquette of forums I am sorry about that.

I did not mean to imply that I will refuse to engage in conversation about this matter. Being on Twitter I am used to people calling me names etc., and perhaps I feared that here. If folks want to chat about this with me I am more than happy to do so. Someone on here pointed out that the players are human and not robots. I get that; however in my humble opinion they need to save their political statements for off the job time. When I used to work I would not have been allowed to make political statements or just take off work for a day.

If I need to be on a different “thread” please advise and be patient with me. Thank you very much.

Cardsfan70
    Participant

Free

Thank you Mr. Walton, I did not catch the end of your post on first reading. I plead a tiny bit of early dementia. I offer that not as any sort of excuse, nor as a victim. I am not going to curse at you or anyone else on here, nor will I argue with people.

I am just an old guy who has always truly loved the Cardinals. I am a very very serious fan. Thank you for encouraging me on getting the “feeling” back. I did watch all of the game today (Saturday), yes including watching the very talented Jack Flaherty pitch. I can like him as a baseball player while disliking his propensity for bringing politics into what I feel should be strictly a game. I feel this country is evenly divided, thus when one takes a public stance as Jack has done, he risks alienating half his fan base.

Hopefully I have not written anything to get evicted from your forum. I just want my game back, sans politics. By the way, the Cards really have to find a way to start getting timely hits, but that is likely another part of the forum. Thanks to anyone who reads this – yes, even if you disagree with me.

Tinky
    Participant

Free

Minuteman3, I feel your pain. I hope this is not your last year on God’s green earth. I look for your posts each day; they brighten my day; we need you here. I know I’m not the only one on this board that feels that way. Godspeed to you sir.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thoughtful comments by Cardsfan70 and Tinky.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Welcome Cardsfan70. I am right with you as far as being a 60-year Cardinal fan, starting as a youngster. I started following baseball in Stan’s last couple of years, so do not remember him much as a player but my dad told me a lot about him. And then I read a lot of books and magazines as a kid, so I learned all about Stan, then the Gas House Gang, Rogers Hornsby and Pete Alexander and on and on.

Sports have had some social discourse activity for as long as I have followed them, but sometimes we think today is different. Jackie was outspoken about his experiences after his first few years as a ball player, and very much so in retirement. Bill White was a major influence on getting the Cardinals spring facilities integrated. Cassius Clay/Muhammed Ali was outspoken, but entertaining in doing it. Curt Flood shaked the foundation of the game. John Carlos and Tommie Smith in track and field in the ’68 Olympics. Kareem spoke out a lot. I remember a lot of that stuff was not looked on favorably by my dad. He was certainly the “shut up and just play” type.

History shows that we will get through whatever we currently face. I can certainly understand some of the magic being lost. Some of that for me is the difference in childhood, and being an adult. I have always tried to be responsible as an adult, but have the heart of a kid.

Anyway, getting a little too long winded, but again welcome, and hope you continue to share your thoughts on the Cardinals. 1 measly run in 12 innings today. Frustrating! But Cleveland is a good team. There is a reason their record is much better than ours.

bccran
    Participant

Cardinalsfan70 and Minuteman3 –

If you don’t remember a starting staff of
    Howie Pollet, Max Lanier, Gerry Staley, Harry “The Cat” Brecheen, and Red Munger,
    you’re not as old as some on here.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I had avoided reading this thread until this morning, fearing it would be just what it turned out to be. I, of course, have views on all these matters but I’m quite sure none of you want or need to read them, so I’ll return to my original decision.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Thanks Tinky & bccran. My age (coming to 81)is not my only problem. Lots of folks like that. But medical issues such as being tied down to an oxygen hose because of a bad previous smoking habit and various other issues such as this really frustrate me. I know several others on here had a military career like me and they know that you didn’t get involved with politics in the military. That was specified in the Uniform Code for Military Justice.

My primary point in this whole discussion is that when you work at a job your interest should be in that job during working hours. Other things are for off the job discussion. But just because you are a celebrity as part of your job you are not wise to start putting out your personal feelings on social issues while on the job. In the case of professional athletes their job is the entertainment of people of many persuasions and beliefs so why alienate groups of them by injecting your personal feelings on happenings outside your area of expertise. Many many employers in this country have rules that you may not do anything that reflects poorly on their company and politics are usually the one thing mentioned as well as criminal charges.

I would like to thank Brian and everybody who posted here to us having a good discussion on what is happening in professional sports today. Those of us who have been around a while have seen what is happening in society before but on a smaller scale. But we have managed to keep this thread about our feelings and not any specific political points – well almost anyway.

Yesterdays game seemed to have absolute NO spark to it. Shades of last years no offense games but yesterday we did have people on base but nobody to drive them in. Such is this game or maybe it was just my attitude as I watched it. A new week dawns tomorrow and it is time to approach it with a Sunday WIN. Play Ball.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

All I can say is I don’t plan on watching the Cardinals or baseball the rest of the year. It’s very difficult, but I am going to keep up on this website. It will give me my baseball fix without supporting MLB or it’s sponsors.

14NyquisT
    Participant

As a sports fan I worry about the thought of the players’ decision to sit out games can create a slippery slope.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ny, it is a slippery slope when you let players make decisions on sitting games out. I don’t believe my employer would have accepted me not liking the news today, so I’m not working. As well as MLB supporting any organization I don’t condone. If you support them, I will not support you or your sponsors.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If revenue for MLB teams starts going down, whether that’s because of players protesting or some other reason, those players will stop being so brazen about stating their political views and about skipping work. The same holds true for guaranteed long term contracts. Get rid of long term contracts and players will think twice about offending some people with their political views.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Long-term contracts are not going away. Zero chance of that.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Then, we might as well get used to players bringing their personal politics onto the stage with them.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.