DeJong Optioned to AAA

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum DeJong Optioned to AAA

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Hope he gets things worked out. This might be the best thing for him.

Who is going to play 2ndbase now?

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Finally. I assume they put Donovan at 2B in the interim.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is Sosa due back soon from disabled list soon? I would guess Gorman might be added also.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Sosa was in SPringfield today rehabbing.

Looks like its Kramer RObertson getting called up.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

Surely Sosa will be added for tonight’s game. Or can Donovan be an emergency SS?

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

Donovan may be playing SS some!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Perhaps Donovan and Robertson will play SS until Sosa is ready to come off the IL. That would keep Edman’s glove at 2B.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Edman is at 2nd tonight with Donavan at SS.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Finally, some movement on the PDJ front. Wonder what the trigger was in the end.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well I knew something was going to happen, surprised he got sent down though. I wonder the end game here. Is he being sent to work on things so he can return or is he being sent down to work on things to look better in a potential deal. In the end, dejong couldn’t have been surprised. The Cardinals gave him lots of opportunities. I hope he can get back to where he was but I don’t know. He might be one of those guys who will flourish with a change of scenery and I don’t mean the minors.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The recent defensive bungles may have been a factor.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Overdue

BrockLou
    Participant

Free

When everyone else in the lineup is ripping the cover off the ball, you tell your shortstop to go out there and play defense and don’t worry about the bat. (think Dal maxvill).
    Obviously, that is not the case at present, with many bats struggling this season, at least so far.
    I was hoping that last year was going to be somewhat of a breakout year for Bader, but now I’m not so sure.
    Starting to look like Yadi might have stuck around one year too many, although it must have been tempting with phat Albert back in town

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The club has given PDJ plenty of chances, but there is no escaping his long-term decline. Each season he has been progressively worse. It’s not like he is suddenly bad this year. My guess is Sosa gets a shot once he returns. If he does not provide at least some decent offense, it might be Gorman who comes in around the halfway mark with Edman becoming the short-scout (as we call the position in vintage base ball).

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Well, I guess how much he is being paid doesn’t matter after all. The team sends him down to maybe get things right. I hope he can rediscover his stroke and get back close to his 2017 form.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bader benefitted from being called down before. Hopefully Dejong can get going in the right direction again too. We will see. I agree that it was time to move him down, though.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Will Sosa be every chance as mo said? That is the question. He should at least get half the chances that Dejong received.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well right now other than Donovan, they don’t really have anybody other than Sosa, so I suppose he will get his shot. I read a article that crazily hinted we could trade for bogarts. Theres no way that happens. He’s a free agent after this year and we aren’t going to pay what he would want. So for that reason, we aren’t going to give up any good prospects or shouldn’t anyway.

bccran
    Participant

Winn needs to hurry up.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

One thing to keep in mind is that the reason we have spent so much time discussing DeJong the last couple of years is because of his contract and that is certainly not his fault. If someone is willing to give you a six year contract after ONE season in the big leagues you gladly accept it.

If the organization had gone year to year with him they could have optioned or non-tendered him after his numbers nose dived and it wouldn’t have been that big of a deal.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In all fairness, DeJong’s real nosedive is here in 2022. The last few seasons, he was below average offensively, but overall was not bad enough to send down, IMO. This year, his OPS+ is just 25.

2021 OPS+
    Edman 91
    DeJong 85
    Molina 84
    Carpenter 63

2020 OPS+
    Fowler 95
    Wong 90
    Edman 90
    DeJong 87
    Molina 83
    Carpenter 79
    O’Neill 70

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

This is Donovan’s job to lose now. I know it’s early for him but he does need to get his average above .200 as soon as possible.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years