David Price Trade Thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum David Price Trade Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

While it is tempting to say that the Dodgers are just trying to buy a world series I still say that is a lazy take.

I don’t think they are trying to buy a title, per se, but if they don’t sign Betts next offseason they essentially traded Verdugo and Maeda for David Price on a half price deal. So I would say that the primary reason for the trade was to try to win a World Series in 2020, yes.

Participant

Free

Gscott, when I looked this morning, it had them over by $4M, maybe they hadn’t adjusted for Joc yet. But you are correct, it’s now showing that they are under. Secondly, I put they would only be paying Price $15, it’s actually $16, their cap hit will only be $15 though.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From betonline.ag:

1) The Dodgers odds improved from 6/1 to 4/1 after acquiring Mookie Betts.
    2) The Red Sox odds went from 22/1 to 33/1.
    3) The Dodgers win total went from 99.5 to 100.5.
    4) The Red Sox win total went from 88.5 to 86.5.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It appears that Bill James still works for the Red Sox.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

One of those mistakes James is talking about is likely when they came in with an overwhelming offer to David Price, when it looked like our club might sign him. Boston way over paid for Price, and now are sending him with Mookie out west.

Participant

Paid - Annual

For those without a subscription Rosenthal states there is an issue with the medicals on the prospect the Twins are supposed to send to Boston.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think they are trying to buy a title, per se, but if they don’t sign Betts next offseason they essentially traded Verdugo and Maeda for David Price on a half price deal. So I would say that the primary reason for the trade was to try to win a World Series in 2020, yes.

Yes, to use that much maligned phrase, they are “going for it.”

Also, I assume they could offer Betts the QO next winter and get an extra draft pick if he signs elsewhere. Am I correct about that? Can you offer an $18M QO to someone making $27M?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Also, I assume they could offer Betts the QO next winter and get an extra draft pick if he signs elsewhere. Am I correct about that? Can you offer an $18M QO to someone making $27M?

Yes, you can. I believe if they get under the luxury threshold they would get a pick after the 2nd round, and it would be after the 4th if they go over the tax level.

Participant

Free

When they had that Hanley Ramirez and Panda offseason, that had to be their worst!

Participant

Free

With respect to the Dodgers winning the World Series, with a touch of humor I say, How many games can Kershaw lose and they still win the series? No Ryu, No Hill, Jansen a joke, Can Mookie pitch or is Price the nominee to do all of that.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Don’t forget Buehler. He is their best pitcher.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Dodgers had a chance to sign Rendon, and they had a chance to sign Cole this offseason. But they refused to do it. The Dodgers don’t deserve to win the World Series. The Dodgers are cheap. Cheap, cheap, cheap.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Don’t forget Buehler. He is their best pitcher.

Hard to forget him…picked one spot after the Cards chose Nick Plummer. Can you imagine if the Cards had Flaherty and Buehler in the rotation now??

Participant

Paid - Annual

How about if we imagine the Cards had Flaherty and Reyes in the rotation now?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How about if we imagine the Cards had Flaherty and Reyes in the rotation now?

That could happen this year.

Participant

Free

How about Flaherty, Reyes and Buehler? Then consider CMart, Waino and Hudson. What could have been.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Only natural to wonder, “What if?”. Still we should not forget that even with the two missed picks in the first 66 selections overall in 2015 (Plummer and Denton), the Cards still came away from that draft with Bader, DeJong, Helsley, Hicks and Woodford. Of course, even better would be a superstar every now and then.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Only natural to wonder, “What if?”. Still we should not forget that even with the two missed picks in the first 66 selections overall in 2015 (Plummer and Denton), the Cards still came away from that draft with Bader, DeJong, Helsley, Hicks and Woodford. Of course, even better would be a superstar every now and then.

It was certainly a good draft. I’m hopeful that Dejong and Bader can improve the bats and let their excellent glove work shine.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I wonder if this is going to take as long as the Bryant grievance case… 😉

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Man this makes me fearful about Reyes. They both have similar deliveries and it doesn’t look like Reyes has changed his mechanics which is what has led to the series of injuries.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Participant

Free

Commodities? I get what he is saying, but how does he think most people are treated at their job? Poor millionaires, they have to move and travel a lot.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

So after the Boston media disagreed, the MPLS paper is backing off their headline and story and saying the deal is not yet dead – but that the Twins still believe their part is unlikely to get done.

Negotiating through the media or sloppy reporting? Either way, it makes a bad story even worse…

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years