David Price Trade Thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum David Price Trade Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t know if this comment is enough to justify a thread but maybe it is. I put it in the winter meetings thread also.

Price’s contract is very onerous so the only way I would have interest is if the Red Sox ate a big chunk and/or through in a valuable piece like Benintendi. (The cards are looking for a LH OF right).

• This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Avatargscottar.
    Participant

Free

I would be willing to have the Cardinals pay the entire contract IF (very big IF) Fowler and his entire contract goes to Boston. I know that would add a lot to the Cardinals’ payroll but it would get rid of one bad contract and clear a little of the OF logjam. From the Red Sox point of view, they would get under the luxury tax threshold according to Cot’s figures.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Why would it be doubtful that they’d take Fowler? Price is owed $32M a year for the next three years, so either the Sox would have to chip in a lot of money, give up a prospect or two or eat a bad contract. Even if they took Fowler back the Cards would still be on the hook for $15.5M the next two years and $32M in the third year for a net gain of $63M in salary. If you think he’s a better bet than Bumgarner I suppose that might be a deal you’d make.

Fangraphs projections have him at 164 IP of 4.17 ERA next year. If getting out of the AL East and a little health made that 190 IP and an ERA of 3.75, would it be worth the cost? Probably.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I wonder about Morosi’s premise. We know the Cards were interested in Price four years ago. My guess is that interest might have ended with the record contract, not to mention his checkered track record since and the fact he is now four years older. A lot can and does change in four years. But even if I am wrong, how and why would the Cards have expressed interest in the interim? Feels more like a supposition on Morosi’s part, but maybe he has a source.

Participant

Free

Below is what I said in another thread, it actually makes some sense for both sides.

“David Price is due 32M the next three years, and that is a ridiculous amount, but he did have a 3.62 FIP and 10.7 K/9 in the AL east and I can’t imagine a better change of scenery candidate.

What if the Cards sent them Fowler (assuming he would approve) to play CF or move Betts to CF and they can move Bradley with a replacement on hand? They also need RPs in an extreme way so the Cards include Gant. They also send the Cards 12M in 2022.

With Gant included the Cards take on an additional $14M in 20/21 and 20M in 22 but they could have a star lefty in the rotation for the playoffs.

With them shedding $14M for Price and roughly 11M for Bradley they are very close to the LT number and have a reliever addition on top of it.”

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

DeWitt has said he expects the 2020 payroll to be around last year’s level. Unless Price causes him to change his mind by a significant amount, the Cards would need to shed quite a bit more expense.

Participant

Free

Stl25, if your question is in response to my “IF” on Fowler, I am not sure he would approve the trade. I would trade him straight up for Price or even include Gant if needed. I don’t think I would give up any more, though. At Price’s salary, he is not worth giving up any more than that without getting something in return.

I doubt anything gets done since I don’t see the owners allowing that much more in payroll. (Although I think they should)

Participant

Free

DeWitt might consider it and likely thinks highly of him if they indeed offered him what was reported before he signed with the Red Sox. Secondly, Mo did say “they weren’t speaking in absolutes”.

If the Red Sox take Fowler and Gant (who is more of a sweetener to an area of need for them), and chip in 12M in 2022, it turns out to be a 3/48 deal basically, which is at least where they would have to go for Keuchel.

To me Price >> Fowler, Gant and Keuchel and a perfect change of scenery candidate, if you recall the Boston media wasn’t very nice to him his first year there.

If they feel the payroll would be to high, Carlos could then be moved for nothing more than prospects which would come close to balancing it out.

JF, Price, Mikolas, Hudson, Waino with the 6th as Ponce, Helsley, Gomber, Woodford, Cabrera, etc ready to step up. I don’t see any way possible they have the rotation health good fortune as they did last year, the chances of that are quite slim.

Participant

Paid - Annual

DeWitt has said he expects the 2020 payroll to be around last year’s level.

Brian, I brought this up to Goold in one of his chats and his reply was basically “that can’t be true because they offered $17.8m to Ozuna.” I thought that was a rather disingenuous reply because the Cardinals must have felt good about the odds of Ozuna rejecting the QO.

Goold also tried to claim that the Cardinals have money to spend because of the “Ozuna savings”. I told him that the “Ozuna savings” was already spent on raises to Goldy, Carp, Mikolas, and Wong.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Avatargscottar.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Price is not right. Just say “no” to David Price. No need to have one of our young pitchers blocked by this guy.

Participant

Free

Pugs, which young pitcher has the potential to be an ace in the postseason? For the regular season, that can be fine and dandy, but after seeing the two teams that made the World Series, it’s hard not to want that guy with experience and if healthy, can be a lock down guy.

Assuming health, would you rather have Price or Hudson/Mikolas starting a postseason game?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is Price really a postseason ace though? His career playoff ERA is 4.62, over a full run higher than his regular season number. Not like he’s Waino or something.

That said, if a trade could be negotiated to move Fowler and the Cards were on the hook for <$20M a year of salary increase, I don’t think it would be a bad swap. At worst he’s a back end starter, which is something we aren’t guaranteed to have in our system right now.

Participant

Free

ST25, picture your self in October 2020, and you had the choice of Price, Hudson, Mikolas or Waino, are you saying you’d pick Waino out of that group?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wouldn’t have necessarily picked Waino this year either, but the guy was fantastic in the playoffs and has been for his entire career. So I might.

Price is a good pitcher to be sure, but I was curious where the idea that he’s a playoff ace came from. That’s all. I’d like to see him on the team if the cost is reasonable.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Regarding Price, my two cents worth is that the St. Louis Cardinals will not acquire him. They wanted back when he was a free agent. The word then was that Price grew up a Cardinals fan and that he wanted to play here. The Red Sox came along and swept him off his feet with an insane contract, and so off he went to Boston. Trading for Price, IMHO, would be like the St. Louis Cardinals were settling for sloppy seconds. That ain’t happening. First of all, they’re too proud for that, and secondly, it violates their principle of ‘continuity’. Just my opinion.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I would sign Bumgarner for 5/$100m before I would take the $96 million for 3 years of Price.

Participant

Free

GameCard, in my proposal, the key is the Red Sox taking Fowler and chipping in 10-12 in 2022. Otherwise no deal.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

It was proposed on MLBTV that we get David Price and Mookie Betts.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I assume you mean MLB Network. Did the talking heads explain how such a deal would work here in the real world, as opposed to fantasy TV land? 😉

This story from The Athletic calls the Red Sox chances of trading Betts as “a real longshot” and also says an extension is “out of the question”.

There is also a lot of Price content in it.

https://theathletic.com/1456089/2019/12/12/18-red-sox-takeaways-from-winter-meetings-be-prepared-to-say-goodbye-to-david-price/

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mark Feinsand of MLB.com summarizes where he sees the Red Sox are in trading Price. He says the Cardinals are one of at least five teams interested and “could include Matt Carpenter in the deal”.

He doesn’t suggest why Carpenter would agree to a trade, however, not to mention why the Cards would trade the guy they have anointed as their 2020 third baseman at every opportunity. My guess is that Feinsand doesn’t know Matt has no trade protection. Details, schmetails…

https://www.mlb.com/breaking-news/david-price-red-sox-trade-possibilities

Participant

Paid - Monthly

It was former GM Dan O’Dowd who said Betts and Price to the Cardinals.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I saw the O’Dowd piece on MLBN about Betts/Price for the Cards. Amsinger asked what the return would need to be. O’Dowd said the Cards wouldn’t have to return much for Price due to his contract, but didn’t address the Betts part of it. Then I believe Amsinger asked about any prospects that would need to be included in such a deal, to which O’Dowd said something like, oh the Cards, they have prospects. He offered no further details, LOL. It was quite the convincing discussion.

MLBN has air time for some of the real insiders who do break news and they’re worth listening to, but many of the talking heads babble in ways that are less informed than a lot of water cooler discussion.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

O’Dowd is fairly locked in and it was educated speculation.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I can’t really imagine a deal where the Cards would get both Price and Betts. That would be, what, $60M of extra payroll? Even if they sent both Carpenter and Fowler it would still be $24M extra, and the Cards would then have to really sweeten the pot with prospects because the Sox aren’t going to give Betts away. Something like Carp, Fowler, Carlson, Knizner and Rondon/Oviedo maybe gets the conversation started. But the Cards aren’t going over $200M salary so it would have to include both Carp and Fowler, unless they got Cmart and Cecil in there.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years