Cubs thread

This topic contains 146 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Avatar gscottar 1 day, 10 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 147 total)
  • Author
    CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

For the record I am strongly against work related punishment for non work related behavior. This is especially true when there is no legal conviction involved. As a military officer I used to field complaints from spouses for various things. My answer when I could get away with it was always take it up with the police or with a lawyer. If it nt serious enough or enough evidence for the justice system to do something then it is ridiculous to think employers know better.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

For the record I am strongly against work related punishment for non work related behavior. This is especially true when there is no legal conviction involved. As a military officer I used to field complaints from spouses for various things. My answer when I could get away with it was always take it up with the police or with a lawyer. If it nt serious enough or enough evidence for the justice system to do something then it is ridiculous to think employers know better.

bccran
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

What branch, CC?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Navy. But most of my complaing spouse issues came as a Dept Head on a Marine Corps base.

bccran
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

What USMC base? My son and daughter-in-law were USMC officers. Son-in-law a Naval officer. They were all based at KBay, HI at one point.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I was the Supply Officer at MCAS YUMA.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ve been thinking about the Cubs pursuit of Harper and how it relates to the luxury tax. Supposedly Theo met with Boras and asked him not to sign with anyone until the Cubs had a chance to shed some payroll. I would assume that the CBT was the main reason for that request. But should it be?

The Cubs are currently over the CBT slightly. Let’s say they sign Harper and end up $40M over the tax line. At a 20% rate that would be a $8M penalty. Is $8M really that big of a deal to a team worth around $3 Billion? If not, then why are they acting like it is a big deal?

A couple of possible reasons:

1. They are bluffing. They may end up just spending whatever they need to get Harper and go along their way.

2. The CBT was supposedly put in place to give the smaller market teams a better chance at competing. But what if another reason was that it gives the owners a convenient excuse not to spend over a certain amount? They could go to their fans and say yes we would love to get the players you want but if we go over the tax line bad, evil things will happen. And maybe the Cubs owners don’t want to alienate the other owners by knocking down this facade.

In a related note average MLB player salaries decreased from 2017 to 2018. That is only the fourth time in the last 50 years for that to happen. I view that as an ominous sign as we get closer to the next CBA negotiations.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I guess a ‘mental skills coordinator’ is a person who teaches millennials how to think.

Hope it works.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I guess a ‘mental skills coordinator’ is a person who teaches millennials how to think.

Millennials get crapped on all the time and its bs.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I had never heard of something called mental skills before. That’s probably the basis for my rather crude comment which I would delete now if I could. Anyway, I wondered if ‘mental skills’ is a term that could be searched, and found out that it is. Here’s what I found:

https://www.sportpsych.org/nine-mental-skills-overview

These are pretty good topics. Not sure the kids are going to put a lot of work into them, though. Mostly, they are going to be interested in their stats, their health, and all the things that young men are generally interested in.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Anyone know about these gentlemen?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Willie Fraser used to be a ML hurler….I think. I wish all 4 of these gentlemen tremendous good fortune in their personal lives…..and terrible luck in their new professions.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pugs!!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If it is the same David Howard, he played briefly for the Cardinals in the late 1990s.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/howarda02.shtml

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Fan bases are upset across baseball.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar

The Cubs are currently over the CBT slightly. Let’s say they sign Harper and end up $40M over the tax line. At a 20% rate that would be a $8M penalty. Is $8M really that big of a deal to a team worth around $3 Billion? If not, then why are they acting like it is a big deal?

I said this in the Harper thread:

They are really far over the tax due to signing bonus penalties. I have them at $205M in salary but the luxury tax hit is like $5M more + $16M in extra spending (40-man, benefits) for a total of $226M.

The thresholds are 206 – 226 – 246 so my initial guess is that the 226 is the “limit”. Any Harper deal, no matter the manipulations would affect the Lux tax hit the same as an AAV, which is looking like $35M/year most likely.

That would mean Theo/Hoyer would have to clear $35M to make it work under the $226M threshold.
    ——————————-

Basically, if they broke through Tier 2, putting Tier 3 as the “limit”, then the penalties get much worse and their are draft pick consequences too.

Another big factor is that they are looking at $180M base payroll in 2020 (despite losing FAs Zobrist, Hamels, Strop, Kinzler, Cishek, Duensing, and Morrow) and the tax gets worse still if you are over year-to-year.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

So, is it fair to conclude that the Cubs’ problems are as much in future years as 2019? If so, that seems to be the opposite of the Cards, whose books are fairly clear in the years ahead.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wouldn’t come to that conclusion. The Cubs are willing to spend up to and over the CBT. The Cardinals are not. One team likes to save dry powder and the other likes to use it.

Having payroll flexibility is really not an actualized strength if you don’t use it. It is just a potential strength. And by use it I mean put the hammer down and maximize the capabilities. I don’t think our FO has the killer instinct that the Cubs FO has.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What’s interesting about their core is that they will theoretically be losing all of them at the same time, after the 2021 season –> Rizzo, Bryant, Baez, Russell, Schwarber, and Lester. That’s crazy.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Seems to confirm the rumor as to why Cubs hitting coach Chili Davis was sacked.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Kris Bryant and ex-Cub Ryan Dempster tag-teamed the Cardinal organization recently and Ben Fredrickson wrote about it in today’s PD.

Bryant wasn’t to cordial in his remarks about the Cards and St. Louis.

“…Who would want to play in St. Louis? Boring. So boring. I always get asked, ‘Where would you like to play? Where would you not like to play?’ St. Louis is on the list of places I don’t like to play. It is rough.”

Dempster chimed in on his distaste for the Cards and the Loo.

“I remember when I was getting traded, and they were like, ‘Hey, how about St. Louis?'” Dempster said. “I’m like, zero chance in hell. Nothing. No way. Won’t even go there as a free agent. Not happening.”

Boring? And yet the Card’s organization is constantly promoting the team as being very exciting. Maybe the FO isn’t listening to what people are saying about their team. Management is concerned about the environs that is St. Louis, they want fans to feel safe going downtown to the stadium and that wonderland that DeWitt build next to it. There have been stories written about the police being over-whelmed in trying to prevent the crime that makes the Arch City infamous.

This may be a reason some players will not sign on with the Cards. Having to move their families into the area would take some guts, and convincing wives that the suburbs are a great place to live. IMO, people hear St. Louis and almost automatically they think the worst. It has become problematic.

Seemingly, the City’s PR Department has given up, it is like shoveling sand against the tide.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

What do you expect the Cubs to say about St. Louis? That they aspire to play there instead of Chicago? I guess Andrew Miller did not get the memo. Sheesh.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Agreed Brian. I wouldn’t read too much into Bryant’s remarks. It was at their version of WWU so I imagine he was trying to fire up their fans who are no doubt disappointed in their offseason so far. Chances are that Bryant won’t be a Cub after 2021 anyway.

As for Dempster I guess he had to pile on to impress his new employer. I was never impressed with him on MLB TV either. He never said anything that insightful.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Put the shoe on the other foot. How would it look if a few Cards started rapping another team? (Cubs).

I don’t think that Card fans living outside that area get that whole rivalry thing with Chicago. I know something exists. Is there anything going on with the Blues/Blackhawks?

When I was going to school in STL, I didn’t pick up on that vibe. Maybe because Attila was pitching and Moses was catching.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 147 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years