Cooperstown Class of 2021

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cooperstown Class of 2021

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like the baseball lives concept also. Torre, Mattingly, and Baker would be deserving. Actually I think Mattingly is deserving from just his playing career. As a fan of 1980’s baseball I thought the three best hitters of that decade were Tony Gwynn, Wade Boggs, and Don Mattingly.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good points, but Joe Torre is already in the Hall. He went in with TLR and Bobby Cox.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Surprising progress report from the unofficial ballot counters…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This guy waited for 10 years to become eligible, just to cast a blank ballot.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ken Rosenthal is really frustrated with weary of all the ambiguities in the Hall of Fame voting process.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Rosenthal is overthinking it and seems to be a bit dramatic to me. If certain voters want to exclude certain players because of perceived or real character or cheating issues then they should have the right to do so.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

To me, there’s a difference between character issues that impact the game, and character issues that don’t. Cheaters like Bonds and Clemens forfeited their right to the HOF when they knowingly did things that aided their performance and gave them an advantage. Similar to McGwire and Sosa. Doesn’t mean they weren’t fun to watch or great players.

“Character issues” such as political views on either side should have zero impact on a baseball Hall of Fame. They may make you a doofus or even a bad person, but it’s silly to say that because one person voiced their views on something and another didn’t, they should be left out of a museum of the game’s great players.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not on the ballot, but should be…

Participant

Those that used PEDs not only cheated to make themselves better but they cheated all the honest players. That was worse than Rose’s offense.

Bonds and Clemens never!! Its the Hall of FAME. IMO by letting those in that gained fame by cheating is a slap in the face to all the respected HOFers. Put the cheaters in the Hall of SHAME.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

On the earlier post, I have sympathy for Rosenthal, because he is among the subset of Hall voters who:

1) Put great thought into their vote
    2) Explain it publicly

But he also takes a lot of heat in social media because of #2 and because he is a high profile individual.

IMO, the Hall of Fame could take some heat off the writers by clarifying the voting guidelines, not unlike what was done in this thread. But they refuse to do so.

Participant

Its not about guidelines. It should be about fairness and right and wrong.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Its not about guidelines. It should be about fairness and right and wrong.

Who gets to decide what’s fair or right and wrong? Are steroids more performance enhancing than greenies, which were widely available as early as the 1940s? What about guys who probably did steroids who never got caught?

That’s what guidelines are for. We can never know who really was or wasn’t honest about the way they played the game, but if the HOF made it clearer (such as a positive PED test bars you or maybe connection via grand jury testimony of involvement) it would clear up some of the confusion.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT said:

It should be about fairness and right and wrong.

In MY opinion as to right and wrong…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This status report suggests 2022 could be Rolen’s year…

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years