Cooperstown Class of 2021

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cooperstown Class of 2021

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The regular writers ballot is not out yet, but the annual awards also include career recognition for both writers (Spink Award) and broadcasters (Frick Award). Derrick is appropriately careful in his wording not to call them Hall of Famers, though they are recognized on the same weekend (the day before the inductees) and have a place in the Hall of Fame building.

Also, because there was no 2020 ceremony, the 2021 event will pull double-duty to include Ted Simmons, among others…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Here is the full list.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For those who like to follow the status of the HOF voting as eligible BBWAA members disclose their ballots early, this gentleman tracks them all.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Here is the ballot tracker link…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

LaTroy Hawkins?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Must be the longevity award. 21 seasons.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The best players on the Hall of Fame ballot or Bonds, Clemens, Sosa, and Manny Ramirez. I’m not sure what to think about Helton. I would love to see Schilling get in. That bloody sock would be enough to get my vote. Unfortunately, Schilling offended some of the wrong people with some of the comments he made, so he might not get in for personal reasons unrelated to his performance as a player.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

ESPN has ranked the Hall of Fame players based on “tiers” and mentioned who might fall into those categories this year. It’s interesting to look at, although I don’t fully understand their metric. Scott Rolen would fall into a tier that basically is a no brainer for future induction, and right on the edge of the top 100 of all time.

https://insider.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/28491403/ranking-every-baseball-hall-famer-where-2020-candidates-fit-in

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From betonline.ag:

To be inducted to MLB Hall of Fame 2021
    Curt Schilling 1/20
    Omar Vizquel 2/3
    Roger Clemens 5/1
    Barry Bonds 6/1
    Scott Rolen 10/1
    Billy Wagner 12/1
    Gary Sheffield 12/1
    Todd Helton 20/1
    Jeff Kent 33/1
    Andruw Jones 50/1
    Manny Ramirez 50/1
    Andy Pettitte 100/1
    Sammy Sosa 100/1

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

way too high of odds on Omar Vizquel. Jeff Kent and Scott Rolen were both better players than Vizquel.

I like Gary Sheffield and Curt Schilling as well. Those four get my vote off the top of my head. Need to look further into some of the others.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would put Rolen at 20-1, Billy Wagner at 4-1(I would love to see Billy get the call), Gary Sheffield at 25-1, Andruw Jones at 18-1, Manny Ram at 12-1 and “Slammin” Sammy Sosa at 980-1.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

“Small Hall” proponents are speaking up early this year, with two of the first 14 ballots known being empty.

https://twitter.com/ShutTheDore/status/1332312060621975553

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

The character clause gets really messy when you look at the players on this ballot

Pettite – PEDs
    Bonds – PEDs
    Clemons – PEDs & Sexual relations with a minor
    Schilling – Numerous offensive tweets
    Sosa – Corked bat & PEDs
    Jones – Domestic assault
    Hunter – Homophobia
    Ramirez – PEDs
    Sheffield – PEDs

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This writer spills hundreds of words over why he does not disclose his annual Hall of Fame ballot until afterward, but comes off to me as being pretty self-righteous.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

That is a “Hey! Look at me!” article.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Baseball’s top broadcasting honor. Not technically a Hall of Famer, though he will be receive his award during induction weekend.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Rolen loses a vote because former P-D writer Jose de Jesus Ortiz drops him for Abreu, Jones and Sheffield additions. I don’t get dropping a guy for three players you didn’t vote for in the past.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My guess is that after Abreu got just 5.5% last year, barely remaining eligible, Ortiz is trying to keep him on the ballot longer. Games the writers play because they feel 10 spots to vote are not enough. Too bad they can’t just vote for the most deserving players…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

What do you all think about this idea of honoring baseball LIVES?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

According to this voter, no one on the Hall of Fame ballot is deserving now that Jeter is in.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Jeter is a mid tier Hall of Famer. Why anyone would think that he was deserving of the only vote this past year or that no one would be deserving this year is beyond me.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Al Michaels is a great announcer, but has he done baseball lately? Seems like he’s been on NFL broadcasts only for some 25 years.

I like that “baseball lives” concept, but am not sure where you put it. They are not exactly Hall of Farmers in the original sense of the institution, but were better than average players and managers.

Quite few guys fit that category, with Joe Torre the ultimate one. Joe even has executive leadership on his resume. He is sort of a latter day Joe Cronin. Bill White would be a good one, no managing but better than average player, long time broadcaster and executive.

Al Lopez was one of those “baseball lives” guys, but I think he is in for his managing career.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.