Community 2022 Top Prospect Voting

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Community 2022 Top Prospect Voting

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 452 total)
  • Author
    LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

I’m always confused when people say that so and so’s best position is to be DH, as it makes it sound as if his D is so bad that he should only hit, and if that’s the case then unless the National League gets the DH said player becomes nothing more than trade bait…or do you all here think that Gorman can stick at 2B or whatever…

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I think the DH simply allows us to presume the at bats will be plentiful enough to allow Gorman to reach the next level without stunting his development.
    He is a very athletic player. He grew up playing SS. The reality is Edman’s value is greater at second than Gorman, so the DH is the logical progression.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

From all the reports I have heard, Gorman can stick at 2B.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Ironically, if our pitching depth at the top of the minors remains as thin as it is after the rule 5 draft and minor league signings, it could become a plus. A quality mlb arm might be much more likely to take a minor league deal if there are clear pathways to the type of innings each particular veteran desires right before spring.
    Many good arms over-guess their value, or are just stubborn because they are great competitors, and they are on the outside looking in come late February.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My bet is there won’t be a fulltime DH or even a platoon pair, but instead a rotation of many players including set starters given a breather from playing in the field.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With 11 votes for and none for anyone else, Jordan Walker is your #2 prospect for 2022!

Voting for #3 is now OPEN. Voting will end at 8 PM EST/7 PM CST

lrcardinal
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

#3 Matthew Liberatore

forsch31
    Participant

Free

#3 Matt Liberatore

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

#3 Matt Liberatore. After him, it starts to get interesting! There may be a lot more difference of opinion on who should be ranked above another! This will be fun!

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What’s it going to take to flush these guys out of the woods year round? So refreshing to see the esteemed likes of Flood21, Grenadier, Card4Ever, Mr. Bob Cobb, IRCardinal, LACardFan and CardsFan64 emerge from the thicket to voice their opinions on our young Birds. Then sprinkle in the arrival of our newest member, TheBeave, and this has all the earmarks of our finest Community Top Prospect vote yet.

My vote at #3 will be no surprise…..Matthew Joseph “Libby” Liberatore.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Liberatore

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s not the esteemed Bob Cobb who posts here. No, there is another Bob Cobb. His name is Robert Howard Cobb. This fellow, along with his chef, Paul Posti, created the Cobb Salad at Bob Cobb’s Brown Derby Restaurant back in the 1930’s.

Liberatore @ No. 3 for me.

Most people are looking at Masyn Winn as a future shortstop. But if he doesn’t hit well enough to get traction as a middle infielder, he’s got a fastball with crazy movement.

TheBeave
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Matthew Liberatore @ #3

Bob Cobb
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The ‘esteemed’ Bob Cobb? No, I’m definitely not the same guy. Lol. I’m just a lifelong Cardinal fan who is always looking for the next ‘Baby Bird’ to fly into the nest.

I will also pick Matthew Liberatore for #3 on the list.

For all his hype, Matt hasn’t really pitched a lot in the minors, and he hasn’t dominated at the AAA level yet. A really good season in Memphis would propel him forward to fulfill his goals and our hopes for him.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m going with Libby at #3 as well. He’s not flashy, but he gets outs. I like the innings eating possibility from this young lefty. He also had better strikeout stuff than you’d think, which will only get better as he learns to command his pitches better. I could see the outcomes on him from a #1 in the Waino mold to a #4, 180+ inning guy. It’s the ceiling that makes him exciting but the floor would still be very valuable in our park and with our defense.

flood21
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

3. Liberatore

grenadier1
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

#3 Matthew Liberatore – he needs to succeed for no other reason than because Arozarena just won the AL ROY. I’m kidding, kind of, because I did and still do think that was the right trade and I do like Liberatore. And why not, he’s basically a LH Adam Wainwright starter kit. Big frame with a FB that isn’t over powering but plays up due to how quick it gets on hitters with his release and his ability to command it. Combine that with a wipeout CB that is close to elite command and who does that remind you of? He has the ability to grow into a #1 starter, but really has a floor of an innings eater in the Lance Lynn mold (different types of pitchers obviously but that type of role.) He struggled early in Memphis, but was better by the end of the year and was the go to pitcher for Team USA in the qualifiers. Pitching 124+ innings in AAA without having pitched above A ball is a big jump and I think he handled it well. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if he broke Spring Training with the big club, hopefully in the rotation.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if he broke Spring Training with the big club, hopefully in the rotation.

Very interesting take, grenadier. I think I’d be surprised unless the Cards don’t get an extra starting pitcher or two this off-season. I like Libby to get his feet wet in Memphis and be the first call up after May-June for rotation openings, which will surely come. He’s gonna be a good one though, I agree.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Could be an interesting race to handicap. Which of the two friends will reach MLB first – Gorman or Liberatore?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

#3 Matthew Liberatore

Interesting question Brian. I see both Liberatore and Gorman as mid season call ups, say around June 1 or so. It may depend on who is performing better at Memphis or what injuries we have in St. Louis.

grenadier1
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

SC25, I think he needs to open in Memphis as well. I think he is clearly behind Oviedo and Woodford in the pecking order for a rotation spot just due to the 40 man roster. But I really think he’s going to pitch well this spring (or summer if CBA negotiations continue to falter) and could push for a spot. That’s why it wouldn’t surprise me. For a different thread, but a good pitcher on a 3ish year contract I think would be ideal.
    Agreed Brian, I don’t think they sign a SS this offseason, so how short of a leash do DeJong and Sosa get? Do they trust Edman enough to be a SS a bring up Gorman? Also, how does Yepez effect Gorman getting promoted? I think having Yepez, Oviedo, Woodford, Rondon all having 40 man spots and no need to accelerate Gorman and Liberatore’s timing will be the biggest thing that keeps them in Memphis until they are needed. That opinion could change based on the new CBA as well though.

bccran
    Participant

Libby.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Libby.

You’re a man of few words today, Cranny. Not like you.

bccran
    Participant

Busy at work, Pugs.

14NyquisT
    Participant

#3 Matt Liberatore for me.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 452 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.