Bullpen

This topic contains 66 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Avatar gscottar 4 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

But he usually has high walk totals. Last year I believe he walked around 60 in 120 innings, or thereabouts.

Then again, walks are up all over baseball. And strikeouts. And homeruns.

r/Esteemed Rat

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If by usually, you mean his one year since he began starting where his walks were over 3.25 per 9, then I guess that’s usual. I think most of us would agree that last year was impacted by the injury (in terms of loss of velocity, for sure, and control, most likely). Thus, the return of his arm speed is a good sign that he might be able to maintain his health for the year. Given his proven ability as a pitcher, that’s a good thing, no?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I don’t recall DeJong having one day off since the beginning of the season. Something I think could help keep him fresh and on his way to his first AS game, is that if CMart is coming up next Monday, send out the pitcher who will be sent out or released (Leone or Gregerson) for the weekend series, and call up Sosa for at least a start and also don’t hesitate to let him take over in any sort of a blowout game.

The last thing this team needs is DeJong to get worn down, so a nice break/easy weekend wouldn’t hurt and Sosa deserves it and wouldn’t hurt them in the field.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

How soon they forget! DeJong was one of the three starters given a day off for the finale in Washington nine days ago. Munoz started that day and will do it again the next time a day off is given to DeJong. Sosa has to wait for an injury, I suspect.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Memphis plays at San Antonio this weekend, so maybe he pitches there and then rejoins the big club in Arlington?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Instead, Martinez was activated today and Helsley was promoted. Gregerson was DFAed and Leone was optioned out.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals have placed Gregerson on release waivers, so they have decided to cut ties completely. He will almost certainly clear, then can sign elsewhere for the minimum, with the Cards on the hook for the remainder of his salary. However, that assumes someone else wants him.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Ultimately I’m surprised they released him. They’re on the hook for the money and he could have been used for the Memphis bullpen. Lord knows they need the help.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If the Cards need another reliever, and do not want to call up Gomber or PDL I think Junior Fernandez may get a chance. He has pitched well lately perhaps living up to his high octane fastball with a higher strikeout rate. Although Meisinger has pitched very well also. Jesus Cruz might have been a choice also before his recent implosion.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Despite the hiccup Sunday, I like this version of the bullpen. If Miller was pitching well, even better. I like Webb, but I wish we had a lefty that threw harder (strikes of course)

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ultimately I’m surprised they released him. They’re on the hook for the money and he could have been used for the Memphis bullpen. Lord knows they need the help.

I don’t think it works that way. I’m sure Gregerson could have refused being optioned to Memphis.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I don’t think it works that way. I’m sure Gregerson could have refused being optioned to Memphis.

Sure he could have declined the assignment and become a free agent. Then he wouldn’t get his $5M salary for the season. No other team would have come close to giving that kind of money.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yeah, I agree with BHC. It seems like the Cards did Gregerson a huge favor in terms of getting another job with the way they handled this. They certainly could have saved themselves a good chunk of money.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Whether they sent him to Memphis or released him they owe him the money either way so there is no savings to be had, except for the pro rated minimum if another team picks him up.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This was in Brian’s article on Gregerson earlier…

Because his contract would follow him on waivers, he isn’t going to be claimed if placed there and probably they Cardinals cannot get anything for him in trade. If he opts for free agency rather than accept a minor league outright, which would be his right, he would forfeit the remainder of his contract money due. Instead, he may swallow his pride and join Chasen Shreve in Memphis to keep the paycheck coming and try to earn his way back up to St. Louis.

Was this incorrect? That made it sound like the Cards had an out somewhere there.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes, it sounds like there could have been savings if they had tried to force him back to Memphis and he refused but I’m sure the FO knew that scenario was highly unlikely or maybe they were just ready to wash their hands of him.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

To clarify, my original assertion was correct.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25 asked:

This was in Brian’s article on Gregerson earlier…

Because his contract would follow him on waivers, he isn’t going to be claimed if placed there and probably they Cardinals cannot get anything for him in trade. If he opts for free agency rather than accept a minor league outright, which would be his right, he would forfeit the remainder of his contract money due. Instead, he may swallow his pride and join Chasen Shreve in Memphis to keep the paycheck coming and try to earn his way back up to St. Louis.

Was this incorrect? That made it sound like the Cards had an out somewhere there.

It was correct. It was important to also read the prior paragraph.

“Some may think the Cardinals will be cutting their ties with the man they initially suggested would be their 2018 closer by releasing him, but that contract commitment may continue to be the primary reason Gregerson remains with the Cardinals organization.”

I was surprised the Cards were willing to just release him and eat the remaining commitment, but they know what they saw in his return and decided to cut ties instead. I can’t blame them for that.

To clarify on the money, if he is released, the amount due will be the remainder of his $5 million salary yet to be paid this season, a bit over $3.5 million. Then there is $1 million more to get out of the 2020 option. The only way the Cards can escape this commitment is if another team claims him off waivers, which like I said is very unlikely.

If he becomes a free agent and signs elsewhere for the rest of this year fairly soon, the Cards would get out of about $400K of that. (That is the remaining part of a $555K minimum MLB salary.) So their most realistic case is they still would owe him around $4.1 million.

Hope that helps explain.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years