Bullpen

Viewing 17 posts - 51 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

C27 said:

If the Cards need another reliever, and do not want to call up Gomber or PDL I think Junior Fernandez may get a chance.

IMO, Junior remains a long shot for now. He has just seven games back at Springfield. He has never pitched consistently well at Double-A before now and has never played an inning at Triple-A. Maybe later in the season he can get in the picture if he keeps going.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

To clarify, my original assertion was correct.

Yes, your opinion was correct but obviously the team wanted to be done with him or really valued that 40 man spot.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Yes, your opinion was correct but obviously the team wanted to be done with him or really valued that 40 man spot.

The 40 man doesn’t even come into play because he was removed from the 40-man with the DFA. I guess they just wanted to completely wash their hands of the contract and move on. Still, though, it would have been worth a shot to stack him in Memphis with that terrible bullpen.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cecil, Gregerson, Holland, Leone, and Miller. Not a huge ROI so far.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I don’t know about the rest of you folks but I get the jitters every time the call goes out for Hicks to work in relief. It makes me think of that line in Winston Groom’s book Forrest Gump, “Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re going to get.”
    That pretty much wraps up my feelings about Hicks. I want to like him. We certainly need him and God knows he can be exciting. But you never know from one pitch to the next if he’s going to be hard and crunchy or soft and sticky. Sometimes I detect a look of worry/fear on his face. But perhaps that’s just my imagination because that’s the look on my face when he ascends the mound. So far clenching my fists has only been partially successful.
    P.S. I always did prefer the crunchy ones.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Hicks is the 2nd Coming of Trevor Rosenthal. Throws real hard, has a 2nd pitch, a short reliever, but is subject to wildness.

I am afraid Hicks is going to end up the same way Rosenthal ended up. At this point, like Cardinal in France said, we never know what we are getting when Hicks takes the mound. As far as I am concerned, at 21 years of age we send him back to Memphis until he can limit his walks to an average of about two every nine innings.

r/Esteemed Rat

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hicks has been fantastic this year, so if he’s a big worry for you, you must be feeling pretty good. If Marmol had used Miller and he properly yesterday, he’d likely he perfect in save situations this year with very solid stats all around (even the saber ones for you, Rats). His K rates are up and walk rates are down, he’s a ground ball machine and I can’t think of many games where he’s even been threatened before yesterday.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Uh, well…..Hicks has walked 7 batters in 16 innings. That’s too many. WAY, WAY too many for a one inning relief ace. Rosenthal the 2nd here he comes.

r/Esteemed Rat

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s not as though he’s out there throwing wildly all the time, as Rosie often did. He has yet to walk more than one batter in any appearance, including the multi inning ones. To go one step further, he’s only given up more than one base runner in 4 of his 17 appearances so far this year.

To even think of sending that level of success to the minors over something as menial as an occasional walk seems pretty short-sighted.

bccran
    Participant

Combined salaries of Miller,
    Gregerson, Leone, and Cecil this year? $25,000,000. Ouch.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Best of all we’ve got Cecil for another year and Miller for 2 more years.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Who is this Cecil you speak of. The FO has managed to keep him well hidden for this season so far. I think he is on the ‘mental’ IL. Gregerson is a goner and Leone may be back only if we have a slew of injuries. Actually I think we have one of the better pens around at this time. Miller is the most iffy one.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In the unlikely case you wanted a serious answer, Cecil had surgery and is rehabbing in Florida.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In the unlikely case you wanted a serious answer, Cecil had surgery earlier and is rehabbing in Florida.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Brian you are stuttering it appears….LOL. Thanks for the update. Did the surgery happen to be a lobotomy? He came to camp after having lost a ton of weight but was saying he needed to regain strength too and from there it apparently went downhill when Mo hit him with that 2×4.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hicks isn’t perfect but he should be the least of our worries. I can think of at least 20 other players on this roster who are more problematic than he is.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

And as a side note I can’t understand why some think Hicks should be a starter. He has two pitches. That may work in Peoria but it won’t work in the bigs no matter how hard you throw. His best bet is as a reliever unless he develops a couple of more pitches.

Viewing 17 posts - 51 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.