Bullpen

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    GACard
    Participant

Free

With Gregerson apparently on track to be back with the club and Martinez following suit, will it be Gallegos and Webb leaving?

I’ve been impressed with Gallegos and it would be disappointing to see him sent down. Seems to be a real asset. It really feels like we have options this year with Helsley impressing in limited time as well

Just wondering if anyone has additional insight here or if the return of both Martinez and Gregerson is too far out to really prognosticate

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It sounds as if Gregerson could be activated any day now. Martinez is probably a couple of weeks away at least. I agree that Gallegos has done very well and earned his keep. Chances are he will be sent down once Gregerson and Martinez are activated.

I would hope the Cardinals would keep a short leash on Gregerson though. I don’t care how much money he is owed. We have a good thing going with the bullpen right now so let’s not mess it up.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like Gallegos, and hope he continues pitching backwards, that is a lot sliders in fastball counts, and vice versa. And a 40/60, 50/50 split of the 2 pitches. HIs slider is a weapon, and his fastball is rather straight at times, but it keeps the hitters honest.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

I think it will be O’Neill or Munoz who goes out and back to an 8 man pen. I think O’Neill is the one most in need of going down. He’s not going to find AB’s right now at the big league level, but Munoz really isn’t either.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Gregerson is activated, I wonder if Leone might be sent down. Gallegos has pitched very well, and barring injury, Leone could be called back in 10 days.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, the Mo quote would seem to make it clear Gallegos isn’t going to be the one. That leaves either Leone or Webb (assuming Brebbia and Hicks are immune) or hitters O’Neill or Munoz.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

To most, if this comes to pass, it will not be a surprise…

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

It is good for O’Neill to play in Memphis right now. He needs to get the reps and play every day. It looks like his real chance at a big league job will come next year, when Ozuna most likely goes elsewhere.

I do not see a big need for a 13-man pitching staff, some of that being my prejudice against pitchers hogging 52% of your roster space. But it is tough to send anyone out right now.

It is odd in a way, but I feel better about most anyone coming in from the bullpen other than Hicks. He seems the riskiest choice of all because his command is still not where it needs to be. Everyone else seems to stay ahead in the count on a consistent basis – might be more my perception though.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Now made official.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT
    Participant

I would love to see the Card’s get some sound production out of Gregerson because if not, well that is a long story.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sending O’Neill down makes sense. He needs the everyday work to get right.

Gregerson needs to be on a short leash.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Martinez is apparently not on the Luke Gregerson rehab plan.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The majority our bullpen has been very good but a few should not be on the team. It is really feast or famine.

Hicks, Gant, Brebbia, and Gallegos have been excellent. Miller has struggled some but seems to be coming around.

Webb is very average at best. The only thing keeping him around is he is LH. Leone and Gregerson should not be remotely close to our major league pen. Gregerson should be DFA’d (don’t give me the sample size and salary excuses). One of Mo’s most notorious comments was made at the 2018 WWU when he said Gregerson would be our closer. Leone should be optioned to Memphis assuming he has options left.

CMart should be ready within a week or so. Helsley should come back up too. I would think those two would be major upgrades over Gregerson and Leone. We need to do everything we possibly can to create a super pen since our rotation is much less than super.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I had read that Carlos maxed out at 90 in Peoria. I wonder if that was caution, or he really does have that weak a shoulder right now? It will be interesting to see how he does in Memphis, and what he looks like when he gets back. Cmart at 94-95 can be a good reliever, but the ceiling is certainly limited if he’s sitting 90-91.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Rick Hummel commented in the St. Louis Post-dispatch that Tyler Webb has allowed only 2 hits to left-handed batters in 22 AB’s (.091). He also mentioned in the same column that batters are hitting .467 off of Gregerson so far in limited action. I hope Mozeliak learned from this Gregerson episode.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Lesson: Don’t sign relievers who get hurt and who pitch poorly. Only sign the ones who will be good in the future. Pass the crystal ball, please.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I read above that somebody said Martinez was throwing 90-91. Dan and Rick said on the telecast tonight that Shildt said Martinez was throwing 95-98.

r/Esteemed Rat

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If no crystal ball available, just sign players to a contract that puts them on Workman’s Comp at the major league minimum if they are disabled. (i.e. 80% X $555K, or $440K prorated for the time that they are on the IL). That way the player still gets plenty of money to pay his living expenses, and the fans aren’t shelling out millions of dollars to a player who probably should be working a desk job.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks for the update, Rats. Here is the quote from a P-D article referring to his velocity:

Martinez completed his second rehab inning Wednesday afternoon with a scoreless inning for the Redbirds. He walked two, struck out one, and completed the inning on 23 pitches. Shildt smiled as he said “for you velocity fiends” out there, Martinez threw 95 mph to 98 mph, and his “out pitch” was his slider. The velocity shows a jump from his first minor-league appearance since returning from shoulder trouble.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/in-carlos-martinez-cardinals-could-have-multi-inning-reliever-who/article_00ed4034-9872-5c05-9e2a-80fdf0ac8a5b.html

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

mud, that is a nice idea and all, but there is a labor agreement in place that prohibits that. The thought that fans pay player salaries is more wrong than right. Fans of low payroll teams can attest to that disconnect.

Anyway, the issue with Gregerson is not his contract. The team can afford it. In fact, they paid more for Holland, for example, and they ate his deal. The issue is that many folks want the Cardinals to release Gregerson rather than them keep trying to rehab him. IMO, it is a no-win, because if he is released and performs well elsewhere, others will criticize the front office for paying for him for that.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I hope we aren’t too thrilled in hearing Martinez was throwing 95-98. Like the article said, in one inning HE WALKED TWO BATTERS!!!

r/Esteemed Rat

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I hope we aren’t too thrilled in hearing Martinez was throwing 95-98. Like the article said, in one inning HE WALKED TWO BATTERS!!!

That’s hardly the end of the world, after being off for so long. It would be far more concerning, IMO, if he was throwing 90-91 and getting minor league guys out with no walks than 95-98 and a little more to work on control-wise.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.