2019 Arizona Fall League

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2019 Arizona Fall League

This topic contains 103 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

And for all of you fellow Salt River Rafters fans, it sure has been an exciting 1st half to the 2019 AFL campaign. Coach Johnson has his boys hitting on all cylinders, as the Rafters find themselves firmly perched atop the Eastern division. Whoever emerges out of the Western division will find themselves to be boys amongst men when they square off vs Salt River for all of the marbles. Go Rafters!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m anticipating a big bounce back year from Elehuris Montero in 2020. Brian, have you heard the nickname for Elehuris?

Really enjoyed the Griffin Roberts interview.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No, I’ve not heard of a nickname. Glad you liked the interview. Seven more coming!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s strange that every Cards regular has a higher OBP than slugging percentage. Or is that a mistake?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25, they are not using the (juiced) AAA/MLB ball in the desert. Perhaps that is a factor in the lack of power.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like that swing by Montero. I really hope he stays healthy this coming year, as I believe that he will show why he’s so well thought of with the bat if he can stay on the field and get into a groove.

As for Capel, good to see him tapping into the power a bit. He’s kind of lost in the OF shuffle right now but if he can build up his confidence, his LH bat could get him somewhere.

Also good to see Whitley pitching well. He’s a sleeper for the St Louis pen next season. I remember Peoria’s manager saying he had a big league arm. I think he’ll contribute going forward.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

And for all of you Salt River fans, there was no surprise at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick last night, as your Rafters clipped those upstart Saguaros out of Surprise, Arizona, by the score of 2-1 in 10 frames. Four fine hurlers limited Surprise to just 4 measly hits, while also setting down 10 Saguaros via the strike out route. Alexander “The Mediocre” Guillen picks up the “W”, his second vs no setbacks and Nick “Tennis Anyone” Raquet logs the “L”, his second vs no triumphs. 639 fans tickled the Salt River turnstiles, as this affair was completed in a rather snappy 2 hours and 37 minutes….especially considering it went into extra innings. And as a quick footnote, Talking Stick Park not only notes the number of fans who enter the Park, but also how many fans exit it’s friendly confines. Last evening 722 happy fans exited. It certainly looks as if beefed up security is in order as those freeloaders are gaining entrance somehow someway.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Do we think Montero has a chance to open the season in Memphis or is he ticketed back to Springfield or is TBD based on spring training? We have talked before about the potential logjam with Montero and Gorman. That will be interesting to watch.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would think Montero should start at Springfield. I would like to see Gorman progress as a hitter, and show the patience he did at Johnson City.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d think there is room for both guys at Springfield, if that’s what the Cards want. Gorman will obviously be the priority 3B, but Montero could DH or play 1B and fill in at third when Gorman is put at DH in some games.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

We’ve seen guys start the season by returning to a level, and later when they are hitting, get a bump up. Unless Montero looks really, really good in the spring, he should probably return to Springfield. As discussed in another thread, Gorman was ok, but did not tear up the FSL in his partial season there. Carlson had comparable numbers with Palm Beach at the same age, but spent a full season there. I don’t think they would prefer to have both Montero and Gorman on the same roster at this point.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Loved watching that fielding play by Montero.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I agree, mud, especially since his reactions is the area I am told he needs to work on most defensively.

Also, for members, my interview with Montero will run tomorrow (Friday) morning.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

PadsFS
    Participant

Free

Herrera seems like he will be the long-term answer at catcher. He’s just 19 and will play most of the beginning of 2020 as a 19 year old. He’s up there with Carlson in terms of playing well above his age most of his minor leage career. To put up above-average batting lines while doing so is impressive. I hope he follows Molina around like a shadow next spring.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 104 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years