Albert Pujols

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Albert Pujols

This topic contains 123 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by stlcard25 stlcard25 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 124 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Never know, maybe Albert will miss that series in St. Louis for the same reason our 1st baseman missed this all important series.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

This was pretty much in stone a couple years ago. Only question was when in the season it would be.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Trying to see what milestones he could be at when he hits at Busch.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

That will be an emotional series for Albert. Enough time has gone by that all of the past wounds between Albert and the Cardinals and Cardinal nation have healed.

Even though he is pretty much a DH, I am sure Scoscia will give him a start at first base in one of the games, and he will get a rousing standing ovation from the locals. I think it will be one of those one-minute standing ovations where the game is halted, and Albert tips his helmet to the crowd and wipes away a few tears.

In addition, fans will probably notice the significant decline in Albert’s skills, as last time they saw him close up and in person he was still real good. But then maybe he will do something like The Babe did in Pittsburgh that day in 1935, when as an aging and overweight player with the Boston Braves he reached back to his glory days and slugged three home runs.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

One huge difference is that in 1935, Ruth was about done. On the other hand, Pujols’ playing contract runs through 2021, a season in which he will be paid a cool $30 million.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Saw some highlights of an Angels/Mariners game a week or so ago, and man, Albert cannot run at all. He hit a drive to the gap in right center that hit the wall on a bounce, and was almost thrown out at second, barely beating the throw having to slide in to the base.

He has always had those foot problems, and of course runs flat-footed. With the heavy lower-half, he has never been a gazelle. LaRusaa always gave him a pass on infield grounders, and allowed him to loaf down the line. But age has taken it’s toll all the more and he looks to be slower than even Molina these days.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ll always wonder what Albert’s numbers would have been these past 7 years if he had remained a Cardinal. Boy……hard to believe it’s been 7 years already.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I’ve thought of that as well, Pugs. You would think they would have been better, as he would not have had the transition and pressure that came with the Angels’ deal. But then he would not have been able to DH very often in St. Louis either.

However, that might have been a good thing in a way, as maybe he would have played some 20-30 less games per year, and been less banged up when he did play.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Always liked Pujols and it is kind of surprising to still read the hatred and venom some posters have about Pujols on Cards Talk.He made a money decision and while wanting him to be a lifetime Cardinal it is what it is.I hope if he comes back to play in 2019 he has a good season and wish him well.The days of guys staying with one team for a whole career are pretty much over IMHO.Game has changed and more teams are doing the farm system development with a FA or two to compliment rosters or fill a need that can`t be filled internally.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by Avatar Bw52.
    mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yadier Molina is one of the rare exceptions. I’ve always been glad that the front office extended him.

Michael Dusablon
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Albert played 11 seasons with the Cards resulting in 74 post-season games.
    He’s now been with the Angels for 7 seasons and has played in 3 post-season
    games – all losses. I’m sure that’s not what he or the Angels expected.
    Anxious to see his return to St. Louis next year…can’t imagine how long
    that standing O will last! Getting chills just thinking about it!

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Anybody have any info with regards to how much longer Pujols is planning on playing? His numbers just aren’t that great anymore and unless the Angels get into contention I wonder if 2019 might be his last hurrah?

r/Rat

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

His playing contract runs three more years, so unless he just cannot play at all he will appear in boxscores until at least 2021.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He may not admit it, but I bet Albert rues the day that he decided to sign on the dotted line with LA. One might say that he had 300 million reasons not to regret the move, but I do not believe that to be the case. When you already have enough loot to last you 20 lifetimes, what do you think that you would covet more…..more cash or pure unadulterated love? Albert made the wrong move…..and he knows it. For all that he accomplished in St. Louis, short of hitting his wife or kicking his dog in public, he had earned himself unconditional love for the remainder of his career from throngs of adoring Cardinal fans. He threw all of that away for money…..extra money that, in the whole scheme of things, he didn’t really even need.

wagee12
    Participant

I have often wondered just how much of that extra money was gobbled up by high California state taxes and the exceedingly higher cost of living there. Will never know by I would assume it has been a significant amount and not just chump change.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Being in the American League has clearly been better for Albert’s career. As his age and physical ailments increase, he has appeared in 529 games to date as designated hitter – or between three and four full seasons. Perhaps he could have played in some of those games in the field instead, but the increased wear and tear could also have led to him being unable to play in others.

Granted, he was already a Hall of Famer before he left St. Louis, but players want to play – even ones with huge contracts and declining skills.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think it was more concerned with his pride than the money when he made the decision. He and his spouse made it pretty clear that they felt the Cardinals had insulted him in their negotiations with him.

Also it may be better for Cardinal fans to remember him as he was than what he is now.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

His wife was the far more outspoken one – at least publicly. I had often wondered about the dialogue at the dinner table between them during his free agency. My contacts at the time suggested her view was very important in the decision.

Not related to this directly, but I sometimes use it as a reminder to myself that they are many factors that come into play beyond pure dollars and years. Families can certainly be one not understood by us from the distance.

I remember back when Mike Hampton was widely ridiculed because he mentioned Colorado schools for his children was a factor in his decision where to play (and where to relocate his family). To quote TLR one more time, “They are men, not machines.”

Back to Albert. Someday, he will hopefully write his memoirs and share what really happened.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In addition to the great message, I find it interesting the LA press still include the #stlcards hashtag with news about Albert.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Setting all prejudice aside, I’d take Rose over Albert in a heartbeat.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 124 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years