Agreement on 2021 rules/salaries/service time/contracts

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Agreement on 2021 rules/salaries/service time/contracts

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

This should sit well with the MLBPA

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Of course it will take some time to play out, but I’ll be curious how their claims looked. Are they trying to get back to net zero, or looking to cover the “losses” entirely, like all their lost revenues? If it’s the latter and they win, it’s possible that the owners end up making more money than in a normal year thanks to their suppression of player salaries.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This could be huge in a number of ways. Several questions off the top of my head.

Would the courts require teams to share their books as part of discovery? If the insurance companies press, will MLB back off?

How could these cases be resolved in time for insurance to be in place for 2021? Would owners use this as part of the excuse to delay the season?

Just another reminder that sports are all about money. The fact this is baseball is secondary.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

P.S. Here is the original source article from Friday. BHC, thank you for bringing this matter to our attention…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If MLB somehow won this claim how do we know they wouldn’t just pocket the insurance proceeds and not invest it back into payroll? I am sorry for being so cynical but the owners deserve that cynicism in my opinion because they are so secretive and have very little transparency.

Also, I wonder if any MLB teams have tried to get federal assistance this year? I know the airline and cruise ship industries have requested it. I am not trying to start a political debate. I view that as a non-partisan question that I am just curious about.

As Brian kind of alluded to, the owners would probably be viewed a lot different by the players and fans if they were more transparent but they have always refused, therefore, even if they are on the up and up there will always be doubt.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

That is funny but points for creativity.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If only MLB had hoarded toilet paper and hand sanitizer at the start of the outbreak, they would never have been in that situation… 😉

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Still laughing about damages to the air at the premises.

14NyquisT
    Participant

CC… why don’t you get over to the Community voting.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I dont have time this year to keep up. To be honest I never liked the multiple voting. Miss a couple of days and your 6 positions behind what is going on.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From Ken Rosenthal:

“MLB instructed clubs in a memo last week to proceed under the assumption the DH will not be used in the NL this year…”

Personally, I still believe the odds remain very high it will happen – but not until other issues defining the 2021 season will also be decided… which could take months…

https://theathletic.com/2244200/2020/12/07/rosenthal-phils-puzzling-offseason-mlbs-big-loss-mets-trade-talk-more-notes/

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree with Brian that I think it will happen, but it will be a late addition, probably tied to the expanded playoffs. It also probably depresses the market for the DH types out there, such as Cruz and Moreland, not to mention the OFers who could DH like Pederson or even Rosario. Win-win for the owners.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Agreed. Stalling has proven to be a benefit to the owners in 2020 and it should continue in 2021, as well. I get that many folks don’t like it, but at least understand why it is happening… It is not ignorance or avoidance of duty – it is a strategy.

If MLB puts in a memo that that they expect the DH to eventually occur, they give the MLBPA a negotiating advantage.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would imagine that the owners are in no hurry to commit to a 162 game season either. As a matter of fact I think a majority of owners will be pushing for a reduced schedule since it is unlikely full attendance is granted until mid season at the earliest.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yep. The issues are all related. This uncertainty about the 2021 season could easily go on all winter long.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Typical of the mass overreaction. Even veteran sportswriters are getting hysterical about it. Funny how it was the same situation a year ago and not a word was spoken…

“The uncertainty around the DH issue is again paralyzing the market…”

No, the uncertainty about the entire 2021 season is paralyzing the market. The DH is just a symptom.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

When completed, this will be an important development in helping to define MLB in 2021. By establishing how much money MLB will get from ESPN for televising the new first round of the playoffs, a base to negotiate with the players (on this one specific item of many open) is also established.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I hate the expanded playoffs for normal seasons, and listening to the ESPN announcers just makes it worse. This is a lose-lose. I guess there will be many fewer games broadcast throughout the year, though.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I find the deal interesting. ESPN has essentially traded reduced regular season games for more playoff games. On the surface, you would think that playoff games are more profitable for the major networks than regular season games. However, does this deal indicate that the major networks now see other sports programming as more lucrative for them than regular season games?

The real “elephant in the room” remains the length of the 2021 regular season. At this point, I do not see a path to a 162 game regular season. IMO, I cannot see the regular season starting until fans are allowed to attend games. Not sure what the magic threshold is, but I cannot see owners losing money in 2021.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What the owners want game wise, the owners get, most likely. They are wanting to delay the start of the season til May.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree that the season should be delayed so vaccines can be administered, but this will no doubt be a long protracted fight over revenue percentages, how many games played, etc….. just like last year. Fun fun.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I’ve got to say I believe Boras more than the owners on this one…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ditto Brian.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 153 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years