2027 TCN Community Top Prospect Voting Thread

Home › The Cardinal Nation Forums › Open Forum › 2027 TCN Community Top Prospect Voting Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #320230
    Jnevel
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Good call on Gastellum Gagliano. He shouldn’t be on our list as he is no longer rookie eligible. He came us July 8 and never went back down. He’s far past the 45 day eligibility mark.

    #320277
    Cardinals27
    Participant

    Free

    I am very encouraged by Doyle, Franklin, Molina and by most Springfield prospects. There are a ton of prospects I am looking forward to 2027 minor leagues.

    #320279
    stlcard25
    Participant

    I just wanted to confirm we are still considering Gastelum? He’s spent more than 45 days on the MLB roster–called up July 8, so as I understand has used up his rookie eligibility.

    Traditionally we have used only the innings pitched or plate appearances cutoff. Will Brian and Kyle have him removed from their rankings? If so, we will match with that. I’m not sure how to get Brian’s attention to confirm.

    #320291
    Gagliano
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Thanks, 25 and jnevel!

    #320294
    PugsleyAddams
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    If Gassy were to be eligible for our vote, he’d crack my Top 15 with relative ease.

    #320296
    Cardinals27
    Participant

    Free

    I think we should consider Gastelum in the voting. The only thing is that has more than 45 days on the STL roster since he was added July 8th. But I agree matching whatever Brian and Kyle do.

    #320297
    Cardinals27
    Participant

    Free

    I hope Roby pitches in the AFL soon.

    #320299
    CariocaCardinal
    Participant

    Free

    When we started doing rankings BA was about the only site doing rankings and they did not consider service time for eligibility so neither did we. Now everyone ranks and most consider it. This site switched to considering it somewhere along the way

    #320318
    AlbertTheMachine
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Gastelum had 82 service days. Others graduating this year were Winquest as he had 48 service days and Prieto with 61 service days.

    https://tjstats.ca/active-service-time/

    #320319
    AlbertTheMachine
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Winquest and even Prieto I would be okay putting on the list as they barely went over (wouldn’t vote for Prieto though). But Gastelum spent half the year on the roster. By practical terms of rookie he would be no longer eligible. RP barely throw more than 50 IP in a whole year.

    #320324
    Bob Reed
    Participant

    Free

    I’ll take Rai-Rod at #1, please.

    —————————————————–

    “Now for the negatives. First, he may not end up the long term catcher. If he’s a future .900 OPS guy at catcher, that’s an immense value. If he’s doing that at 1B, is that really much better than what we have with Burleson out there now?”

    I guess it all depends on your definition of “much better.” Over the past two seasons Burly has hit .284/.343/.466 for an OPS of .809. Very solid numbers — and they’d be even better if his manager limited his exposure to tough southpaws. But anyway, I would personally say yes, .900 is much better than that. Even at first base, .900 is pretty darn great. I mean, Freddie Freeman doesn’t have a lifetime .900 OPS and neither does Paul Goldschmidt, and they’re a pair of future Cooperstown members.

    What I expect will happen is that Rainiel will split the backstopping duties with Leo Bernal (each starting somewhere between 60 and 100 games there), and Rai-Rod will play the other games as either first baseman or DH. What I’d much more prefer, is that they try the teenager at 3rd base over the winter, in a low-key setting, just to see if he has any natural aptitude there. Because although I do think Blaze Jordan can be a 2-3 WAR guy at the hot corner for the next several years, Rainiel’s bat gives him a higher potential by a fair margin.

    #320328
    Jnevel
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Relief pitchers are far more likely to hit up against the service time eligibility rule first before they get to the innings threshold. I think we have removed guys in the past who got there so I think we should stay consistent and remove Gastelum, Prieto, and Winquest. I had no idea Winquest was there! I guess the Yankees helped that along even though he never got in a game!

    #320329
    stlcard25
    Participant

    I would like first and foremost to be consistent with the site rankings of Brian and Kyle if possible. We did have a mixup over Victor Scott a couple years back, but otherwise I don’t think we’ve ranked guys that BW and Co haven’t. So I’ll wait to decide until he checks in.

    Brian, what’s the rule?

    #320331
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

    Paid - Annual

    Prior to our August site re-ranking, we removed Gastelum, Torres, Prieto, Jordan, Crooks, Rajcic, etc.

    Of course, this is your list so you can do as you choose.

    #320332
    stlcard25
    Participant

    Thanks for the prompt response, BW!

    Based on this, the following rules apply as an amendment to the first post in this thread (I’ll try to post this occasionally for all to see):

    Ineligible players from last year’s list: JJ Wetherholt, Jimmy Crooks, Nathan Church, Blaze Jordan, Luis Gastelum, Bryan Torres, Cesar Prieto, Cade Winquest, Max Rajcic

    Guys who made MLB debuts who remain rookie eligible: Quinn Mathews, Joshua Baez, Leonardo Bernal, Brycen Mautz, Hancel Rincon

    Guys who are no longer in the system: Andre Granillo, Matt Pushard, Matt Koperniak, Jeremy Rivas, Zack Showalter, Miguel Ugueto

    #320340
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

    Paid - Annual

    I inserted your revised eligibility list into the first post and deleted the out of date ones.

    #320341
    Jnevel
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    This year is tough! I am trying to fit 75 worthy names into 60 slots. It feels criminal to leave any of them out. And in addition to those 75, there are still additional guys like Miura or Honeyman or Kross who would have easily made it onto a past prospect list – albeit in the 40’s. Those guys now would be in the 80’s on my list if I went that far.

    #320342
    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    The idea is not to name all the worthy ones, but to identify the 50 best.

    #320353
    Cardinals27
    Participant

    Free

    Deciding our number 1 prospect was pretty much unanimous. But I would expect the next few picks to be coin flips. It’s only going to get more interesting.

    #320354
    Jnevel
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Right you are 27. I expect to see 4 or maybe even 5 different names put out there for the organization’s #2 prospect in our next round of voting.

    #320355
    stlcard25
    Participant

    OK, since I don’t think there will be too many votes trickling in at the end here, I will go ahead and call the vote while I have some time. Coming in *with checks* notes 100% of the vote, your 2027 TCN Community #1 Prospect is Rainiel Rodriguez, C.. Rainiel well earned his ranking with a Texas League leading .328 batting average and an overall line of .324/.413/.574 and slamming 28 HRs while driving in 87 between High A and AA. Congrats to Mr. Rodriguez on this high honor!

    1. Rainiel Rodriguez, C

    Voting is now open for the 2027 TCN #2 Prospect. Voting closes at 12 PM CT/1 PM ET on Wednesday, October 7th.

    #320356
    CariocaCardinal
    Participant

    Free

    #2 Doyle

    #320357
    stlcard25
    Participant

    #2 Liam Doyle, LHP 55/60 (FV/FV80), Risk Med

    Here’s where it gets a little more difficult. You could make a solid case for quite a few guys here, as there is enough talent, proximity, ceiling and floor in the upper end of the system that you could squint and see us with probably 7 guys who have above average MLB capability in their reasonable outcomes just from the AA and AAA ranks, along with a couple who have moved up to MLB.

    Anyway, I’m going with Mr Doyle here, as he showed up in a pretty big way in the last month or two of the Springfield season. He was still occasionally wild, but he was also pretty much unhittable down the stretch. From late June on, he had an ERA in the low 2s while maintaining an excellent K rate, and his walk rate got a little more under control as the season went on. His batting average allowed was .183 in July and a paltry .147 in each of August and September. Only Kade Anderson and (potentially) Ryan Sloan were consistently better than Doyle in the Texas League, and they are two of the top 5 SP prospects in the game. Doyle has a reliever role as a fallback, where his stuff would play up even more in short stints. Such is why I have him at a 55 FV, because I think he’ll be in St Louis in the coming years and a useful role almost assuredly.

    Why just a 60 ceiling, with his stuff? It’s the athleticism again. Maybe he’ll show up next year in better shape, but some of his inconsistency probably stems from his less than ideal body condition. Hopefully that’s something the Cards will work on, and he’ll take more seriously this offseason. He really could make the rotation a lot better in 2028 if he’s hitting that #2 starter ceiling.

    #320362
    gscottar
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    #2 Quinn Mathews

    Mathews and Doyle could be a nice duo for us the next several years but I am going with Quinn right now since he has a few big league innings under his belt.

    #320367
    AlbertTheMachine
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Gscottae beat me to being the first to vote Quinn.

    Quinn pitched like a mid rotation SP this year in his time at the bigs and I think he has better results down the road. He struggled with toying with hitters at times rather than just attacking. If he can continue to improve there, I seen him as a #2/3 type.

    Him versus Doyle here is a tough call but for me Quinn has much less risk and has a slightly lower ceiling (60) compared to Doyle’s 65. Quinn has the advantage of having performed at the big league level now though.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 78 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 25 years