2023 World Baseball Classic

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2023 World Baseball Classic

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 281 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For me this is just a distraction. My only baseball interest is the Cardinals.

I agree. Events like the WBC and even the Olympics are yawners for me but I know that some people like them. To each their own I guess.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Player Eligibilty Rules from MLB Website

Each player on a Federation Team’s approved Available Player List must be eligible to participate for that Federation Team. A player will be so eligible only if:

The player is a citizen of the Federation Team’s country or territory, as evidenced by a valid passport the player holds as of January 1, 2013; or

The player is currently a permanent legal resident of the Federation Team’s country or territory, as evidenced by documentation satisfactory to WBCI and the International Baseball Federation (“IBAF”), or

The player was born in the Federation Team’s country or territory, as evidenced by a birth certificate or its equivalent; or
    The player has one parent who is, or if deceased was, a citizen of the Federation Team’s country or territory, as evidenced by a passport or other documentation satisfactory to WBCI and the IBAF; or

The player has one parent who was born in the Federation Team’s country or territory, as evidenced by a birth certificate or its equivalent; or

The player presents documentary evidence satisfactory to WBCI that, even if he has not been granted citizenship or been issued a passport, the player would be granted citizenship or a passport in due course under the laws of the Federation Team’s country or territory had the player applied for such citizenship or passport.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I have very little interest in the WBC.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

As for anything beyond MLB being interesting baseball-wise, NCAA baseball has grown on me the last decade or so. Going to Omaha for the CWS is a valid bucket list item. Was pretty well set on going a couple years ago when covid knocked it off track.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

When I’m in the area and it’s convenient, I still wheel in to quite a few American Legion games at a popular venue for those contests in the nice late summer evenings. Most of those kids can play, the games are entertaining, and I can get a hot dog and a Coca Cola for well under $5…Haha! Also, there’s a junior college close enough to our house that I used to be able to hit with a rock. When I’m driving by and see them in the cages taking rips on their practice field, I’ll pull over to the curb and watch them for a while if I’m not in a hurry to get anywhere. Sometimes, I want to walk on over and point out what I think may help them, or even ask them if it’s okay if I step into the box and show them a thing or two…Haha!

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I love youth sports of all kinds. Small college baseball and basketball is great, as well as high school football. And like 1TD, I have been known to see a baseball game being played and will stop and watch a few innings, grabbing a Coke and hot dog if the concessions are open.

Every kid today plays soccer, but it’s not something I get too jazzed about. It will continue to grow in popularity. It is a continuous action sport, which is what sells. But I think had soccer evolved in the U.S., the field would have been made smaller and the scoring would be more along the lines of baseball or hockey scores. The one thing that hurts the sport on the professional level here is the games are often 1-0. Also we in the U.S. are not real big on the theatrics players do when they get barely brushed and fall down holding their knee and writhing in “pain” as if they were run over by Dick Butkus in his prime.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As for anything beyond MLB being interesting baseball-wise, NCAA baseball has grown on me the last decade or so. Going to Omaha for the CWS is a valid bucket list item. Was pretty well set on going a couple years ago when covid knocked it off track.

I go to several college baseball games per year. It helps that I live near the University of Arkansas, who has a top notch team and is a contender for Omaha every year. We usually draw about 9k or 10k fans per game, which isn’t bad for college.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Yep gscott, I know Razorback baseball is good stuff. I’ve heard a lot of people say the trip to Omaha is well worth it. Where did the gyro pitcher (forgetting his name at the moment) from a couple years ago get drafted and how’s he doing?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Kevin Kopps got drafted by the Padres and I know last year he was at their AA affiliate in San Antonio. I don’t know if he will be in AAA this year or not. He was an amazing college pitcher. I actually saw him pitch in a AA game last year when San Antonio was in town to play against the NW Ark Naturals (AA Royals affilitate).

It is nice to live near a major college program and an AA affiliate. I usually go see the Springfield Cardinals when they are in town.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

College and MiLB is fun stuff to see live. Much easier on the wallet too, lol. I was assigned near the Mets affiliate years ago when Isringhausen looked like a promising starter. Also remember a game when Piazza was on a rehab assignment.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mikolas in Game 4.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

ollege and MiLB is fun stuff to see live.

It sure is. When my kids were young we traveled around the midwest going to MiLB games and a few college games. Further back, when I was teenage, I got to see games all over the place, mainly in the east. Appy, NY-Penn and Sally leagues mostly. I even had a job one summer as a groundskeeper/clubhouse boy. It was a blast, and I enjoy telling stories about it to my kids and grandkids.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What team will Waino be facing?

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Saw Pallante a little pitching for Italy against Cuba, and he looked good. Did not see his entire appearance so not sure if he got knocked around later on, but while I was watching he was pretty sharp.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I see Arenado hit a grand slam in the 1st inning of their exhibition game today. Hope he saves some of those for the rest of the season.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

What team will Waino be facing?

I just read it’s the Brits, on Fox, Saturday at 9PM EST. Hopefully the Brits are bad slow-ball hitters.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks Euro. That would be 8PM my time, so it will not take a determined effort to stay up for it. Still, I’m glad he’s the starter.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I was reading an article about Kodai Senga being scratched from his start with the Mets and came across this: “. . . the larger baseballs and steeper mounds used in MLB, as opposed to what Senga was used to in Japan.” Larger baseballs?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, NPB uses a smaller baseball than MLB. About 9 inches in circumference vs. 9.25.

I believe the mounds are the same dimensions, but the dirt on the US ones are much more packed down.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

If they used a baseball of those proportions in the Big Leagues, K’s would double.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I’m trying to locate the telecast with the Wainwright start. I currently have a WBC game featuring Dominican Republic vs. Venezuela on FS1. The next game listed on the guide feature of the menu tells me it’s Korea vs. Czechoslovakia. Anyone know what channel has…whoops, just found it on the regular FOX network. I was going to delete this post, but after going to all of the trouble to key in “Czechoslovakia” and then check the spelling, I couldn’t bear to zap it…Haha!

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Poor Wainwright just served up a tater to the second batter he faced.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t know TD. You might be able to throw it faster, like you can a cork ball, but it might break less. I used to throw a good hook but I tried it with a cork ball and couldn’t get it to break at all. Straight as an arrow every time

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I was just making fun of all the K’s, Bling. Both my dad and uncle used to tell my brother and I stories about when they and their friends played in organized corkball leagues around the St. Louis area. Evidently they had a lot of fun. Both of them used to boast about how good they were…Haha!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 281 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.