2023 StL Game #53: Friday, May 26 at Cleveland

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2023 StL Game #53: Friday, May 26 at Cleveland

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 135 total)
  • Author
    Jnevel
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Libby just had that one hard luck inning. A HBP that wasn’t far inside. A bloop single. Then 2 ground balls. Then a guy hits it off his shoe laces for a double.

Jnevel
    Participant

Paid - Annual

But that’s baseball. Just sucks for him that it was 4 runs.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Noot!

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Cleveland’s lucky that baseball didn’t roll around for a while out there in LF.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The game and his hit streak on the line…

Jnevel
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Goldschmidt has not been “clutch” at all this year. Lots of strikeouts.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Wow…He rung him up.

Jnevel
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That pitch to Gorman was called a ball to others. It was still too close to take.

blingboy
    Participant

Mighty Casey Gorman struck out.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Hard to believe the HPU called that full count pitch a strike to end the game.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Now we know how Betts felt last Saturday night.

The pitch, however, was definitely a ball.

Besides, if he would have walked then Arenado would have either struckout, hit a little weak ground ball, or hit a little weak pop fly somewhere.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

That was a bad call on Gorman. But, let’s hope they just move on. Same thing happened to Betts in our win over LA. That’s baseball.

blingboy
    Participant

Neither Goldy nor Gorman could even put it in play in a critical situation.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Yeah, I never blame the umpires for a loss. Cardinals had plenty of chances in the last 3 innings and couldn’t get it done.

blingboy
    Participant

Libby game score 41 didn’t help. 4 ER in 5 IP.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

They sure couldn’t, Bling. I was sorry that baseball just seemed to come to a dead stop at the foot of the LF wall on that double by the Nootz and not roll around for a while and allow him to reach 3B with 1 out, but it wouldn’t have made any difference.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Now 4-10 in 1 run games and 1-3 in extras. Looks like the thumbprint of all losing teams.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1td, as I recall the Cardinals interviewed Francona after the 2011 season but passed on him. They went with Matheny instead to begin our run of three rookie managers in a row.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Yeah, I remember that, gscottar. When they passed on Tito, I thought Oquendo would get the job. I never would have guessed Matheny at that time.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

jnevel wrote:

Goldschmidt has not been “clutch” at all this year. Lots of strikeouts.

Amen to that. And neither has Arenado. Arenado hasn’t been clutch from the moment he arrived in St. Louis back in 2021.

blingboy
    Participant

Contreras was missing those fadeaway sliders by a foot, similar to what Walker was doing. But Contreras has seen MLB sliders before, so what is his excuse for looking like a fool? He has a nice arm, but otherwise is not impressive.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Goldschmidt and Arenado have been great at bringing in runs early in games and when we’re ahead. Not so much when they are really needed. Is there a metric for that?

blingboy
    Participant

I don’t know about a metric, but its called choking.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I’m reasonably sure there is, 4ev.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I like calling out the umps as much as anyone when they get it wrong, but the last strike was not an egregious miss. In fact, the baseballsavant illustrator had it as a strike. It also had Gorman’s 1-2 take as a strike (see blue dot on graphic). Here is Gorman’s 9th inning AB.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 135 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years