2023 StL Game #53: Friday, May 26 at Cleveland

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2023 StL Game #53: Friday, May 26 at Cleveland

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 135 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:10 p.m.
    LHP Matthew Liberatore () vs. RHP Shane Bieber (3-3, 3.08)
    BSM // KMOX
    (and Bally Sports South/Southwest Extra)

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Fixing to find out what Liberatore is made of over the next 4-5 weeks.

Mikolas seems to have righted the ship.

Montgomery is nothing like the pitcher he was last year after coming over.

Jack ‘the mouth’ Flaherty is a mess

Woodford earned his shot then blew it.

Wainwright gave all he had but time has finally caught up to him.

Mo really needs to bring in 3 starters at the deadline and hope 2 perform…Is getting 3 realistic or is it likely to be 1 or 2 via trade and a couple more from dumpster diving and praying you can squeeze one more decent half year out of an over the hill veteran?

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Why doesn’t Montgomery throw more curve balls? When he came over last year the Cards had him throwing more fastballs and it’s not working out this year. He’s a two pitch pitcher for the most part. He needs to throw the curve more since hitters are sitting on his straight stuff.

And there you have it!

r/Esteemed Rat

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Guardians have their best pitcher going tonight. I would sure like to see this guy in a Cardinal uniform by August 1 but it probably won’t happen.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Libby took down Burnes…next up Bieber. Here’s hoping he keeps pitching confidently and we take game 1.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pallante, Hicks and Helsley should be available. Cabrera and Stratton went Wednesday. Gallegos and Verhagen each did 21 pitches Thursday.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Knizner is batting .272 in May…. Contreras .170. Pick your poison.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

Knizner. I did not like the Contreras signing. Wish 87.5M were allocated somewhere else.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I genuinely couldn’t remember the name of the Cleveland team and had to look it up, but I’m just going to go with the name Indians because I like it better. I may or may not have touched on this in the past, but I sure hope that the name Cardinals or Redbirds is never deemed to be disparaging or offensive to that particular species of birds simply because I can’t imagine myself sitting in the cheap seats and loudly yelling at the top of my lungs, “GO ARCHIES!”

bccran
    Participant

I wonder if Mo is in Cleveland this weekend and can talk face to face with Mike Chernoff about Bieber.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

What’s for din din today everybody?

Mine is going to be a trip out to the Amish restaurant north of town called Lakeview. Catfish fiddlers, mashed potatoes/gravy, green beans, noodles, dressing, sweet tea, a piece of strawberry pie and some soft serve vanilla ice cream. Yum yum!

Contreras is, what, down in the .220s now? He needs to turn it around. Arenado needs to put the bad series in Cincinnati behind him.

r/Esteemed Rat

Oliver
    Participant

Free

We go the wrong Contreras

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Yeah, he’s at .228 and if that BA continues to sink he’ll be down there feeding off the murky bottom with those catfish…He does have 25 RBI’s though, so at least he’s generated some production in the form of pushing a few runs across. If Nado and Goldy could begin to rip it in tandem we might be able to quickly make up some ground.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Din din at House of Bling will be jumbo chili dogs and some fixins. Desert will be watermelon. I’ll probably have a grape Nehi.

Contreras hasn’t done much with the stick. OPS+ 90. Just to cheer us up, Sean Murphy’s OPS+ is 149.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Hey bling? Where do you get your grape Nehi? Always loved those in bottles!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ll have to ask Lady Bling, Rat.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Lars Nootbaar (L) CF
    2. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    3. Nolan Gorman (L) DH
    4. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B
    5. Willson Contreras (R) C
    6. Brendan Donovan (L) RF
    7. Paul DeJong (R) SS
    8. Alec Burleson (L) LF
    9. Tommy Edman (S) 2B

1982 willie
    Participant

At the end of the day, our pitching has to get better if we are serious about playoffs. How that comes about I don’t know. Trades or within but that’s it. Our hitting will be fine. Maybe inconsistent at times and probably will have some defensive problems here or there but to me, better pitching or better pitchers is the key.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder if Mo is in Cleveland this weekend and can talk face to face with Mike Chernoff about Bieber.

He needs to be. The Guardians could use some offense. We can supply them with several OF/DH types.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Only 5 more games left in this 19 in a row marathon stretch. I had a bad feeling about that many consecutive games before the season even began, but the Cardinals have done well thus far at 10-4 and they’ve undoubtedly played better than at any other point this season since beginning the 19 games in a row at Fenway. At any rate, 5 more games and no rest for the weary until after 2 at home vs. KC next week.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How about this for a genius idea. Mo and BDW should come up with a significant incentive package if the boys can thrash Bieber real good. Knock him out in the 2nd or 3rd, then Mo swoops in and offers to take the chump off Chernoff’s hands. Knock the price down, then work the deal.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I still think Cody Bellinger would have looked really good hitting between Goldschmidt and Arenado. I don’t know why we didn’t pursue him in the off-season. He could have solved our CF problem as well. But then again, what do I know? I mean, after all, I’ve only won how many world championships in Strat-O-Matic!

r/Esteemed Rat

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Jim Thome, Manny Ramirez, Albert Belle, Eddie Murray, Carlos Baerga, and Kenny Lofton…If Matthew would have been a 23 year old Big League SP’er in ’95, he might have had to face all 6 of those guys 3 or 4 times tonight in Cleveland. I don’t know how any AL pitchers survived that onslaught.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Taking a gander at the out-of-town scoreboard at the moment:

The Reds lead the Cubs 7-0 at Wrigley Field.

San Francisco and Milwaukee are scoreless in the top of the 1st at Miller Park.

The Pirates and Mariners are 0-0 in the top of the first out west at the Kingdome.

r/Esteemed Rat

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I just noticed that Bieber was touched up for 31 HR’s in ’19, which was a season in which he went 15-8 along with a real nice 3.28 ERA. That’s a heck of a lot of taters to serve up and still be able to somehow put those two nice sets of numbers into the books. Highly unusual.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 135 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.