2023 StL Game #51: Wednesday, May 24 at Reds

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2023 StL Game #51: Wednesday, May 24 at Reds

Viewing 19 posts - 101 through 119 (of 119 total)
  • Author
    1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

The mention of a “Blue Jay lefty” made me think of David Wells. I noticed this several years ago and still find it to be very, very funny…BR has Wells listed at 6-3 187 lbs…Haha!

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The only reasonable options are bullpen or IL. I would actually vote for DFA but I know the Cardinals won’t do that

We’ve seen enough mediocre starters become excellent relievers that I think the Cards have to give him a good run in the pen before they cut bait. The DFA can always happen next spring if it’s clear he’s toast.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

It would be a crime to waste another year of Goldschmidt and Arenado. I know ownership is tight but this is NOT the year to scrimp with the potential this offense has.

Hell, if we just had 2 AVERAGE starters and 1 GOOD starter this could be an NLCS or maybe even a WS team.

But not with 5 duds for starters. They just gotta cut bait with Matz, Waino, and 1 other. It’s time.

They have got to somehow get 3 at least decent starters from somewhere.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I always liked Wells. Not just because he could pitch, but because he was…David Wells. He claimed that he worked his ’98 perfect game under the handicap of a “Raging, skull rattling, hangover.” He was also raised in a single parent home by his mom, who was a member of the Hell’s Angels and affectionately known as, “Attitude Annie”…Haha! How can you not like, “Boomer?”

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Haha!…When Wells first became a Yankee, he asked to be given jersey #3…He was denied the request.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

In ’97 Wells took to the mound to take his turn at Yankee Stadium wearing an authentic 1934 Babe Ruth hat which he had purchased for $35,000. Manager Joe Torre made him take it off after the 1st inning because the 63 year old hat didn’t conform to uniform standards and also fined Wells $2500, which Wells was happy to pay and later said that it was a small price to pay for the thrill of wearing it on the field even for one inning…They just don’t make too many like David Wells.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

. Anyone recall that wild last few of days of games over in the AL?

1TD – I remember it well. We lived in New Hampshire at the time and sang along to The Impossible Dream which was played constantly by radio stations down the stretch. The song played itself out that final day of the season when the Red Sox squeaked through. Jim Lonborg would have carried all of New England if the election were that day. We had to wait for the news on the radio to hear that Detroit had lost after the Sox had won over the Twins. Then, the best WS ever finally came to Fenway.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I have a fully filled out and recorded scorecard from the game 5, Lonborg/Carlton matchup at Busch Memorial, 4ev. The Cardinals held a 3-1 game lead prior to that game 5 and my paternal grandfather and my uncle attended that game in the hope of seeing the Redbirds clinch a WS Championship, but it wasn’t meant to be…Yet. All the action is meticulously recorded on that old scorecard for that game on that day 56 years ago. He even jotted down and noted the precise time of the first pitch in the upper left hand corner of the inner page…Haha!

Lee
    Participant

Stratton is awful. Cabby is awful. Waino is awful. Matz is the most awful. Jack is right behind them.
    Makes you wonder how long they go with these guys, who simply are not getting it done. Libby should be in the rotation, and Woodford should be given another look. (shoulder soreness added to his issues.)
    Get Thompson back up in place of Cabby. DFA Stratton and Verhagen… they are simply expendable.
    They have to do something with the rotation and pen. The offense is ok, except send Burleson down, he is very hard to watch. Jordan should be back up. Mercado is an error waiting to happen, and his bat is coming back to reality. Lots of work to do.!

CardsFan552
    Participant

Free

Agreed Lee. except I would give Walker some more time in aaa, the outfield will sort itself out shortly.
    Burleson should not be in the field and Oneil is unreliable. The way guys are playing now this would be the best lineup.
    OF – Nootbar, Donovan, Edman.
    IF – Arenado, DeJong, Gorman, Goldy.
    DH – Contreras
    C Kiz
    SP – Miles, Jordan, Jack, Libby, Woody.
    RP – Gio, Hels, Thompson, Pallante, Waino, Matz, Hicks, Stratton/VH.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Matz should not start another game except in a case of injury or other such dire emergency.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

1TD – that scorecard is a keeper for sure!

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

That ‘67 World Series scorecard is quite a special item, 1TD. I have the 1967 season highlights record, as well as the ‘64 season record (and ‘82). Still get goose bumps listening to those.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I only attended 1 game last season, Bikemike. It was the opener of the Cardinals/Yankees series last August. My son had bought tickets a couple of weeks beforehand and took me down there. A day or two before the game, I gathered together a few old baseball items, including that old scorecard, that just sit around in boxes and collect dust with the intention of taking them with me to the game and hopefully spotting some young fan around the ages of 8 to 12 or so outside of the ballpark to simply give to him or her. I told my son what I had in mind and he got real spun up and refused to allow me to accomplish my mission…Haha! I still may give it another try next time I attend a Redbird game. I thought it’d be worth it too see the look on some young kid’s face…

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

One of my brothers has a scorecard from the 1946 NL tie breaker playoff game between the Cards and Dodgers at Ebbets Field. Not many know that the Cards had to play a best of 3 play-in after the regular season to break a tie with Brooklyn. Of course, the Cards won, claiming the NL pennant, and went on to win the WS. For years we tried to get a scorecard from the other game of that play-in which was played at Sportsman’s Park, but never found one we could get.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

That’s awesome, Bling. I was aware of that 3 game tie-breaker and always thought it was a much better idea that only playing 1 game to decide the outcome of an entire season. The whiz-kids who came up with that 1 game WC fiasco should have consulted with the baseball guys who were running things back then…Haha!

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Man, another great item! Yeah, for some reason the AL did a one game pennant playoff when teams tied, such as 1948. But the NL always did a best of three. The leagues were independent back then though. Today they are really conferences, and are “leagues” in name only.

Those scorecards could command some decent moola on eBay. But giving one to a young fan is a wonderful gesture 1TD.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Yeah, a couple of people have mentioned that approach, Bikemike. The truth is that not only am I not all that ambitious anymore, but I’m also lazy…Haha! Before I wade through all that ebay hassle, all that old stuff will continue to gather dust in the boxes until I’m gone.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They didn’t have to worry too much about messing up TV schedules back then 1TD. I figure that’s the explanation for the one game WC play in. That or the players union maybe. What the fans would prefer never would have come up.

Viewing 19 posts - 101 through 119 (of 119 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.