2023 StL Game #45: Thursday, May 18 vs. Dodgers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2023 StL Game #45: Thursday, May 18 vs. Dodgers

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 157 total)
  • Author
    1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Lost in the mix is the decent turn by Wainwright. Allowed those two 1st inning runs and then turned in 5.2 IP’ed to be credited with the W. Only needs 4 more of those to acheive the 200 W plateau. He’s been a real good one for quite a while.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

“Obviously with O’Neill and Carlson both out, you have to get creative, but Yepez isn’t creative he is destructive. Yepez must never be a choice in the OF ever again.”

Agree 100,000%. Maybe more.
    And it isn’t like we didn’t already know this about Yepez. The Boy Wonder in the dugout played poor Yepez in the outfield dozens of games last year — twice as much as he did at his natural position of Designated Hitter. Just one of the numerous managerial gaffes in Marmol’s brief career.

But much worse, the thing is, young Mr. Marmol does not learn from his mistakes. At all. Because there’s Yepez right back in the outfield again this year. Maybe Mr. Analytic didn’t read the numbers at Fangraphs or Baseball-Reference over the winter, where they let you know how objectively horrific Juan’s outfield defense is. Pro Tip: It’s possible, Ollie, for a player’s defense to be so incredibly dreadful at a position that it outweighs any contribution he might make with the bat. It happens.

——————————

On a more cheerful note, the 7 homers tie the club record, set against Brooklyn in 1940 and equaled versus the cubs in 1996. (And the ’96 game is legit, as McGwire was not yet on the team.)

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

It’s a fact that “youneverknow” about baseball…. All the discussion in regards to the suspect OF defense and this game was almost placed into the proverbial fire as a result of the 2 out E-3 charged to a multiple GG 1B’man. At any rate, it’s never easy.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Haha!…I wouldn’t go so far as to term him “The Boy Wonder.” Must have been a typo, Bob. The Boy Blunder?

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

He not only doesn’t learn from them which is bad, but what really bothers me about the guy is that he’s never owned a solitary one of them.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Well, 6 in back. The current Redbird PBP guy’s grandad used to sing a little song on the radio broadcast…”The Cardinals are coming, tra-la, la-la”…

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Hicks should genuinely be credited with a save. He worked a perfect 8th inning with the Redbirds precariously clinging to a 1 run lead.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

The bullpen will become an issue but it’s good at this point. Cabrera is being thrown into some situations that will bite them. Genesis is just one lefty. They need another.

The pitching it appears is evening out but it will bite us due to usage.

The offense is good. Good enough to trade from idk

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

At least we have our bats going now so that we have a punchers chance when we cough up 6+ runs. Noot-Goldy-Gorman-Nado-Contreras might be the best 1-5 in the game.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Let’s not lose sight of why Yepez was in the outfield at all. Edman started in right field but he got the worst of a collision with CF Nootbaar. That is what happens when guys are out of position. With Edman out of the game, that left them with Yepez-Noot-Mercado from left to right. The only other OF available was Burly. Depth isn’t depth with two of the three OF starters on the IL.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

That was one of the craziest games I’ve seen.

They gotta keep this winning thing going for a while yet to pump the bilges dry – but they are working on it.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

All true BW, but this is the risk/cost of carrying Yepez on the active roster, eventually he finds his way into the outfield.

I know it’s a random game of 162, but lets not forget our elimination game last postseason, where Yepez started in RF, by choice.

He keeps finding his way out there and there is a way to eliminate that.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yepez most assuredly should not see time in the OF, but the organizational transition to offense first team building means the team will get enamored with his torrid hot stretches with the bat that he’s had from time to time. His glove may take all the value away but it’s difficult to bench a guy who may hit .400 with 10 HRs and 10 doubles in a month of ABs.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Has he ever had a stretch even close to that? He’s always impressed me as nothing more than a run of the mill RH’ed bat with above average power.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In my opinion Yepez and Burleson simply should not be on the roster AT ALL if DH is not available to them. They are too big of a liability. They should be dealt to a team who has room at DH or is in rebuilding mode which might allow them to tolerate their shenanigans in the OF. Besides, it isn’t like Burleson is looking like Larry Walker at the plate or anything.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Besides, it isn’t like Burleson is looking like Larry Walker at the plate or anything.

Walker hit .170 with no extra base hits over 56 plate appearances in his first taste of MLB, He then hit .241/.326/.434 in his first full big league season.

I happen to think that Burleson still can make an impact with the bat, so I’m not ready to move on yet. Yepez is a good depth piece but that is it.

Jnevel
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the team is at a crossroads with Yepez. On the one hand, there’s no place to play him on the field due to Arenado, Goldy, and a plethora of DH options. And on the other hand, I think the team thinks he might actually develop into a very good hitter with time. But, they can’t give him that time to showcase him to raise his trade value without playing him. But there’s no place to play him.

So, do we trade him away for 30 cents on the dollar to free up a roster spot for someone who may be more valuable and watch him potentially turn into a very good DH/1B elsewhere or do we try to find him playing time in the MLB or at Memphis knowing that he might be useful if Goldy gets hurt? Neither option is a good one and we as fans are likely to complain if either of those happens. But those are really the only 2 choices right now.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Whether or not Burly eventually emerges as an impact LH’ed bat, in my view, he’s not been tremendously terrible in the OF. He’s marginally oven mitted, but it’s not the butterfly and daisy type pattern that Yepez wears…Insofar as Mr. Larry Walker’s concerned, he’s one of the all time greatest OF’ers to ever be situated in RF. He could also hit a little bit…Haha!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My point on Burleson is that if he isn’t hitting he really has no value to the team. Same with Yepez. They both may be depth pieces but how much depth do you need at DH? Until Gorman becomes an everyday player in the field Burleson and Yepez are blocked at DH.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Well, I’m with you, gscottar. Burleson hasn’t at all demonstrated that he’s a genuine threat with the bat and I don’t feel either he or Yepez qualify to slot in as a frequent DH. Yepez probably has value as a RH’ed threat off the bench to step in late against an opposing BP lefty, but we both know he can’t be placed in the OF late in a close game. If Burleson can show some life with the bat, he could probably fill that same role from the other side of the box and although nowhere near to the degree of Yepez, he features a considerable amount of liabilty on the defensive side as well. Take your pick, but I’m not sure if both of them should be sacked at once.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Between Walker, Burleson and Yepez we need to come up with one everyday outfielder. As far as defense goes, the consensus seems to be that Yepez will not improve, Burleson probably won’t improve much and Walker probably will improve significantly. How reality based any of that is, I don’t know. Then there is offense. Yepez has has modest success at MLB level. Burleson and Walker, not so far. Burleson has AAA success on his resume. Walker not so far.

O’Neill seems likely on his way out. Mercado might make moving Carlson more realistic. If he continues looking like a CF capable 4th-5th OF.

That seems to be where the OF situation rests right now.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I am not a fan of Edman in the outfield either. Had Arenado not DH’d, Marmol would have like put Donovan in left rather than Yepez, although who knows.

With the injuries, I would go this way with the lineup for now (assuming Tommy is banged up):

vs righty

Nootbaar, cf
    Donovan, lf
    Goldschmidt, 1b
    Gorman,2b
    Arenado, 3b
    Contreras,c
    Burleson, dh
    DeJong, ss
    Mercado, rf

vs lefties

Nootbaar, cf
    Mercado, rf
    Goldshcmidt, 1b
    Arenado, 3b
    Contreras, c
    Gorman, 2b
    Yepez, dh
    DeJong, ss
    Donovan, lf

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like it mike.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

In regards to OF defense, when Heyward entered the game late to replace Thompson with the Cardinals holding on to a sliver of a 1 run lead, I had a bad feeling seeing him situated out there in RF. The Cardinals were unquestionably in dire need of an insurance run and I can’t count how many times he’s burned us with both his glove and arm. He can be a genuine pain in the backside. At any rate, Heyward has basically been making a living in the Big Leagues on the merit of his OF defense for several seasons now. How many OF’ers can you name who could possibly fit into that rare category?

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

So far so good with Nudie Bar. But, again, let’s see what his batting average is at the All Star Break before we anoint him.

Fair enough?

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 157 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.