2023 StL Game #29: Sunday, April 30 at Dodgers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2023 StL Game #29: Sunday, April 30 at Dodgers

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

3:10 p.m.
    RHP Jake Woodford (1-2, 5.47) vs. RHP Noah Syndergaard (0-3, 6.58)
    BSM // KMOX
    (and Bally Sports Southeast/Southwest Extra)

ZTR
    Participant

Free

This looks like a win on paper especially if the team can play defense like they did tonight.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The 2011 Cardinals were, what, about 10 games out in late August and won the World Series. We are not even into May yet. Keep a good cheer.

r/Esteemed Rat

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I hope Woody does well in his last start. The question will be whether he goes to Memphis or the pen.

Lets hope Wainwright looks good in Memphis today. He has determination, but so far he has had his hands full with minor league hitters, so we will see how this all pans out. It could turn into another headache.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

I think the 2011 squad made up 7 games in the last 9 days of the season to catch the Braves and force a 2 game playoff for the second wildcard spot

I also think that the 2011 team was by far the exception.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

There was only 1 WC for each league in 2011, ZTR. The Cardinals grabbed it on the last day of the regular season and opened up the post-season against the 102 win Phillies.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

I recall that we tied Atlanta and had to go to Atlanta for a 1 game playoff for the WC.

I meant to say 1 game playoff in the post above.

Am I misremembering?

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Also read where Cards are 6-2 in series finales this year so that bodes well for this afternoons tilt.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We have a lot of players who can be good in stretches. They could all get hot and we could burn it up through the dog days and barrel into post season. If that happens, we know that nothing will get fixed, and a lot needs to get fixed. There is a better chance of that happening if we don’t get any miracles. Still, I’m a Cards fan and I’m praying for a miracle. At the same time, I am hoping that BDW can see that there is a problem with the system, and it needs to get fixed. I think that is most likely to happen if he sees that remaining ‘competitive’ is going to start costing him some big money.

1982 willie
    Participant

I think for this organization to make significant strides, the worst would have to happen. If we get hot and just make the watered down playoffs, I don’t see us making major improvements. But at same point I hate being in last place but maybe that’s what it takes. Hard to say.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I copied this from some Brewers oriented blog:

“Everyone is taking very good pleasure in the fact that the Cardinals are struggling. Right now their pitching does not look good. You know that they will turn it around, but all the teams in the central are probably thinking lets build a big enough lead against the Cardinals because you know that they will be charging come second half.”

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think our rotation is starting to show signs of stabilizing. That needs to continue and we need to keep running our best defensive team out there and hope the bats come to life as the weather gets warmer. Arenado is in a terrible slump which isn’t helping matters.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Lars Nootbaar (L) RF
    2. Paul Goldschmidt (R) DH
    3. Nolan Gorman (L) 2B
    4. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B
    5. Willson Contreras (R) C
    6. Alec Burleson (L) LF
    7. Dylan Carlson (S) CF
    8. Brendan Donovan (L) 1B
    9. Tommy Edman (S) SS

14NyquisT
    Participant

a lot needs to get fixed.

They are coming out of the woodwork with ways to “fix” this team. Some of the thinking out there that is being written:
    Proposals-theories-suggestions-conspiracies-recommendations-solutions-lotions-potions-balms-ointments-salves-old world remedies–snake oils–love potion #9. psychiatry-spells-seances-witch doctors-quacks-kale diets- Asian,Hindu and near Eastern wonder curealls. subliminal messaging-sleep background sounds, my old favorite the magic 8 ball- angels in the outfield..and the Twilight Zone’s robotic pitcher.

Any or all of these might help…. but seriously…. I hope that we don’t lose today.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Someone tell BDW that its too late for his cheap band-aid acquisitions. At this point we’ve gotten ourselves in the position of desperation and the cost to remedy this will be big bucks or top prospects.
    But then there’s always the fire sale ala the White Sox. I’m beginning to be concerned.

Has anyone seen or heard of Girsch this season?

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Girsch? Mrs. 1TD tells me she saw him at the hair salon receiving a curly perm and frost application.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Why is Nootbaar leading off?

Then again, why is he even in the lineup???

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

The obvious answer is that he’s a .231 career hitter…

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nootbaar’s .426 OBP probably has something to do with batting leadoff. Goldschmidt’s .410 OBP is probably why he bats second. Oli doing something that makes sense for once.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Hate to be a downer but the Dodgers probably win this one as well. It’s the end of a long taxing road trip and last night’s loss was a difficult one. Probably played as well as they can and lost. That’s got to weigh mentally on them.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Has anyone seen or heard of Girsch this season?

Who? I’m only kidding, or am I?

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

2023 STL top 3, runs created per game (RC/G):
    (minimum 50 PA’s)

8.6 Goldschmidt
    7.2 Gorman
    6.6 Nootbaar

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Here we go.

Gotta start the climb up the mountain somewhere.

May as well start today.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Lucky that stayed in play. That Betts is one good baseball player.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Check swing double for Burleson ,lol.

About time a break went our way

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 109 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.