2023 StL Game #27: Friday, April 28 at Dodgers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2023 StL Game #27: Friday, April 28 at Dodgers

• This topic has 86 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 11 months ago by ZTR.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

9:10 p.m.
    RHP Jack Flaherty (2-2, 3.29) vs. RHP Dustin May (2-1, 3.07)
    Apple TV // KMOX

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

These stupid Apple TV games. I guess I’ll have to watch the Reds in Oakland and keep hitting the little red Scoreguide button on the remote.

Din din on this day will be a trip to Lakeview, the Amish restaurant that sits out on the lake north of town. Catfish Fiddlers, mashed potatoes/gravy, green beans, noodles, dressing, sweet tea, and some vanilla soft serve ice cream. Yum yum!

r/Esteemed Rat

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Let’s see if they break the streak or go 9 for 9.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I guess I’ll be switching between Braves-Mets and Angels-Brewers.

Hmmm, Rat has me thinking it’s about time to pull out the ice cream maker for a spin. Anybody use real vanilla beans vs extract and does it make a difference for you?

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I’m sure Jack will end the streak in fantastic fashion. He’s at home where he wants to be.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Fate and MLB are really good at screwing the fans out of the chance to watch something worthwhile by having the game on a relatively obscure outlet. This game seems pivotal to me. Do we follow up the win, the convincing 6-0 win, or do we revert and prove to be one win wonders?

We have gotten better starts recently, and we have The Jack going tonight and then Montgomery Saturday. They both have the capacity to deliver a quality start. The pen has shown some capacity to hold a lead, albeit not everyone has succeeded in that area. Helsley bad, Hicks good. Yikes. Can Oli manage today’s pen rather than yesterday’s? The offense did some rumbling, but has not really come back to life yet. Will it? Or will it return to dormant futility? We need more than one in a row and now is the time, on apple tv.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

I hate splitting a product up across multiple paid services.

It’s rude, inconvenient, and an added expense.

I still have Xfinity Cable which has 1,000,000 channels of which I watch about 8. These six are very carefully spread across their different tiers such that the basic package only includes a couple.

On top of that if you want to watch sports outside the NFL you must buy a special package.

That was bad enough but there is now a growing trend to split a product across multiple paid add on services.

In my opinion no matter how much money is generated for the sports industry it will never be enough.

Everyone pays whether they are a fan of a sport or not because the bulk of a teams money ultimately comes from advertising dollars which ultimately comes from every consumer.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

ZTR, what holds it all up is we are all suckers. There is always someone happy to wring every cent out of suckers.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Dustin May (2-1, 3.07) will be on the hill for the Dodgers tonight. A very good young pitcher.

It will be interesting to see our lineup. I assume PDJ will be out there again. Might as well keep it going until he cools off.

Personally, I think the Cardinals are making a mistake by giving up on Carlson. I have been hard on him in the past because of his lack of offense but he really does stabilize our OF defense. I think he should be in CF everyday, Noot in RF everyday, and have Burleson and O’Neill platoon in LF.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Personally, I think the Cardinals are making a mistake by giving up on Carlson. I have been hard on him in the past because of his lack of offense but he really does stabilize our OF defense. I think he should be in CF everyday, Noot in RF everyday, and have Burleson and O’Neill platoon in LF.

gscott, I can only guess Mo is a slow learner on the importance of OF defense.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carlson being an automatic out from the left side is inconvenient. The brass must think there is little reason to think that will change anytime soon.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I agree with gscottar, and in my recommended daily lineup of a couple of days ago had Dylan as the every day centerfielder. Usually your talented and athletic players are going to be good, but sometimes you have to put up with inconsistency as they get their reps and go through times of low confidence.

Carlson needs to be in there everyday for his defense, and for his and the Cardinals future. Unfortunately what I see as a good chance of happening, is we send him away in July for a veteran pitcher, and he has a similar career as Andy Van Slyke did. He will be a very good player, sometimes all-star, in another uniform adding to the growing list of former Cardinals that dot all-star teams over the rest of the ’20s.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Recently I noticed Edman take 2 PA’s from the right side while facing a RH’ed pitcher. I don’t know the reason that he decided to stand in from that side, but I wouldn’t mind seeing both him and especially Carlson try that approach for a week or so and see if it produced positive results.

Jnevel
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carlson isn’t an automatic out from the left side though. He doubled last night from there. He’s been a little poor there (not Knizner level poor, but poor for an outfielder unless they are an elite defender) but he may be a little unlucky as he has run a much lower BABiP from the left side.

Honestly, other than promoting Walker too early, not playing DC has been the most confounding issue to me yet. Even using Hicks that one game when he was bad at least made some sense because they were really short of bullpen options that day. Dylan is 24. He was our top prospect a couple years ago. He tore up AAA. He played as a league average outfielder at 23, which is really good for a guy that young. And, he appears to play an average or a little better than average CF, which is needed right now. Burleson is almost certainly the better hitter against RHP’s but DC is light years ahead of him in defense and speed on the bases. I’d completely understand Burleson starting 50% of our games as a 4th outfielder and coming in to pinch hit daily, but I don’t get why he has completely leap-frogged Carlson.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

That HR that Burleson hit yesterday was impressive in the context of it’s been quite a while since I’ve seen a LH’ed hitter turn on and destroy a pitch that was not only really elevated, but was also a little in. I backed it up several times in order to take another look and that pitch was at or above the letters and a bit tight. That area is normally cryptonite for anyone standing in as a LH’ed hitter. The last Cardinal LH’ed hitter that I can recall who could cover and handle that pitch was Jimmy Edmonds and I don’t really consider him a Redbird, but Larry Walker could certainly cover that pitch, but he hit everything. At any rate, I was surprised that Burly got it and he got it good.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Burleson reminds me a little bit of Larry Walker with the way he stands at the plate. I think we would be pleased if he turned out to be half as good as Walker or maybe even a third.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Yeah, Walker was an across the board outstanding baseball player. Obviously he could hit, but he was one of the best OF’ers of his era and may have had the strongest and most accurate throwing arm of any RF’er in the last 50 years. He was also an outstanding and intelligent baserunner who always took account of the game situation. He and Pujols were the only 2 Cardinals who brought their bats to the ’04 WS.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

It’s a shame this game won’t be televised on the normal network. If it weren’t for the late local start time I’d probably drive the 2 miles to my son’s house and watch it over there, but I think I’ll pass this time. I’ll probably just check in on the radio to see what’s going on. I know how to work one of those.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

On the MLB.tv “Buy” page it says, “Stream EVERY out-of-market MLB game LIVE or on demand.” The caps for EVERY are their own.

I guess somewhere in the fine print is says you get every game except the ones you don’t get. Or maybe they would say the “or” in the sentence is why they’re merely deceptive bastards instead of flat out liars.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I don’t have the MLB package, Euro, but we pay for internet and a cable package that’s supposed to have me covered for the Cardinal games. Mrs. 1TD enjoys watching a wide variety of her old shows and movies, but I very seldom even spin up the TV other than to watch a baseball game. At any rate, if MLB feels they need extra money more than I need to watch the game, they can have it. At some point, all that money may get caught in their collective windpipes just as they’re in the process of uttering another lie.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I decided to ignore the whole thing. We are going out to a nice dinner and then a show. It will be well past my bed time when I get home. Good luck to them. Someone will need to post the lineup.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Taking a gander at the out-of-town scoreboard for tonight.

The Cubs are in Miami to face the Marlins at Joe Robbie Stadium.

The Pirates game in Washington at RFK Stadium has already been postponed due to rain.

The Reds are also out west as they face Oakland tonight at the Oakland Alameda County Stadium.

The Brewers play host to the L.A. Angels tonight at County Stadium in Milwaukee. Word on the street is that Front Row Amy will be in attendance as the roof will be closed at County Stadium tonight.

And I am going out on a limb and call tonight’s game 6-3 in favor of the Redbirds. I expect Arenado to get off the schneid tonight with a long dong to left to aid the cause.

r/Esteemed Rat

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Rain may be the only way to cool off the Pirates right now. Mother nature’s on our side.

osuagec
    Participant

Free

Thanks to Apple TV I get to watch the Cardinals for the first time this season. Was able to sign up for a 3 month free trial of Apple TV through my PlayStation account.
    I see tomorrows game will be on FS1 but I’m assuming it will be blacked out here in Oklahoma.
    Can’t wait for the day that Blackout rules go away.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 87 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.