2023 StL Game #19: Wednesday, April 19 vs. Arizona

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2023 StL Game #19: Wednesday, April 19 vs. Arizona

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

12:15 p.m.
    RHP Jake Woodford (0-2, 5.65) vs. LHP Madison Bumgarner (0-2, 7.90)
    BSM // MLB Network // KMOX // WIJR
    (and Bally Sports Southeast/Southwest Extra)

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Our lineup has been inconsistent to say the least but does it really matter at this point? We could have Mays, Mantle, Musial, Williams, Aaron, and DiMaggio in the lineup and they aren’t going to win with this pitching staff. It is on pace to be one of the worst staffs in Cardinal history.

We can blame the lineup, the manager, the pitching coach, the manager, the bat boy, Fredbird, or the manager but the bottom line is that you can’t win games when your starter constantly gets shelled in the early innings. And that is squarely on the front office.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Here are some quotes from Derrick Goold in his chat on Monday in the STL-PD. Sums it up well.

Derrick Goold
    Mod
    11:33 AM

It’s simple: Rotation needs to provide better and more innings. That will improve the Cardinals. The rotation stabilizing its performance will have a positive, trickle-down impact on the bullpen and everything all around. I cannot stress this enough: A contending team needs a rotation that consistently provides quality starts. That’s it. That stabilizes a team series to series. You saw the power of that this past week. Cardinals were taxed coming out of Coors Field to win those final two games, and that led to them being vulnerable in the series vs. Pittsburgh. The starters go deeper in any of those games and the assignments lineup, Hicks doesn’t appear, and so on and so on.

Good isn’t enough. Consistent quality and quantity innings is gold in this game, and that costs a pretty penny if you cannot develop it. Inefficient innings — due to walks, due to pitch count, due to pitching to contact and contact getting through these days — are what can capsize a rotation that hasn’t been fortified with at the least a known quantity of innings.

Show me a team with consistent quality starting pitching, and I’ll show you a team with good chemistry.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cardinal pitching staff has a batting average against of .281. That ranks 28th out of 30 teams. I am going to go out on a limb and say it is a source of our problems.

https://www.mlb.com/stats/team/pitching/avg-allowed-by-the-pitcher?sortState=asc

Or maybe I am way off base. It could be that the pitching staff is so mad at the manager for tinkering with the lineups and calling out Tyler O’Neill that they are just too distracted to pitch. If that is the case then they are mental midgets (sorry mental short people for the PC crowd).

Oliver
    Participant

Free

There is something off with this team. Can’t point what it is. But the manager should look into it instead of looking angry all the time.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree that something is off Oliver. And maybe the manager is giving off a bad vibe, maybe there is poor team chemistry, and maybe the players don’t have faith in him. All of that may be true but even if they changed managers today would our pitching suddenly get better? And if the manager is the problem who hired the manager? And why have we had 3 rookie managers in a row? Is that a coincidence?

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

“Our lineup has been inconsistent to say the least…”

What lineup? We haven’t seen the same one two days in a row.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Folks, I know it’s still April and still early. But, we do NOT want to fall 8-9 games behind in this division. We need to get our act together right now. We have a big time west coast trip coming up starting tomorrow and by the time we return home things could be out of control. MUST right the ship now.

r/Esteemed Rat

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Tommy Edman (S) SS
    2. Dylan Carlson (S) CF
    3. P. Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    4. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B
    5. W. Contreras (R) DH
    6. Tyler O’Neill (R) LF
    7. Jordan Walker (R) RF
    8. Taylor Motter (R) 2B
    9. Andrew Knizner (R) C

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Where is everybody?

Cards up 3-2 in the top of the 4th. Plated three runs in the bottom of the first.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

At work. Hope to catch last couple innings, but they play speed baseball now.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Eddie now with a real good chance to hit for the rare cycle. He’s already covered the tater, the triple and the double. Should get at least 2 chances for the single.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well scoring 14 runs through 7 innings is one way to overcome your rotation although I don’t know if it is a reliable long term solution.

Of course this game isn’t over yet. Hicks could still make an appearance.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I really don’t understand Arizona changing pitchers in the middle of the inning, no one on base, down 10 runs. Managers these days, overthink things. Like last year Marmol taking our Quintana against the Phillies with no one on base, with Quintana mowing them down. Yes, I know it was a playoff game. It was one of the decisions that lost us the game and series.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Lots of guys coming up big when it doesn’t matter.

I see the DBs got some unearned runs earlier, what happened there?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hicks to the rescue. I’m glad we are winning, but this is our 5th pitcher. That’s the problem in a nutshell like Goold was saying in the quote above. Its going to hurt us the next couple games.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wainwright in AA start today: 3 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HR. 59 pitches, 40 strikes.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

E-6…Throwing error.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, I guess he made up for it.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nolan Gorman on pace for a .316 average with 43 HRs and 153 RBIs. That would look nice on a baseball card.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Eddie was the player of the game.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Yeah, he sure did, Bling. He had the HR, triple and double pretty early in the game and only needed the simple base hit for the cycle. I thought he’d have two PA’s to get it, but only ended up with one more try to get the relatively easy single, but hit into a force. He worked a BB during the game, so at least he covered all of the bases, but that don’t count.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I still like Edman at lead-off for several reasons. I’d be interested to know the Cardinals W/L record this year when he leads off a game. I’m thinking it’s either 2-0 or 3-0, but I could be wrong.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

stlcard25…For awhile now, I’ve thought that he has a real decent chance at 40 HR’s before he’s through. The power he generates with his bat, more often than not, looks effortless.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I don’t want to be a Gloomy Gus after a W, but in light of the early pitching woes, am I the only one feeling some genuine angst about a 19 game stretch of games without an off day beginning on May 12th and not coming to a merciful conclusion until May 30th?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.