2023 StL Game #15: Saturday, April 15 vs. Bucs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2023 StL Game #15: Saturday, April 15 vs. Bucs

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1:15 p.m.
    LHP Steven Matz (0-2, 8.18) vs. RHP Roansy Contreras (1-1, 8.00)
    BSM // KMOX // WIJR
    (and Bally Sports Southeast/Southwest)

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Matz’s turn to at least not stink it up…

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Matz is probably the next one auditioning to keep his rotation spot, with Waino and Libby knocking on the door of opportunity. The one thing Matz has in his corner is cash, which means he will get a longer leash than some others. He and Mikolas will likely stay in the rotation a good many more turns due to the financial commitment.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The sky is getting ominous to the south. Maybe a good blow will get rid of the stench from Matz’s last start, and the one before that. We really need him to be less horrible.

I’m always leaving no stone unturned looking for some good news to harp on, so I want to mention the emergence of Thompson as a lights out reliever. Moving a potential rotation piece to the pen is a bold move and it is really paying off so far.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Contreras sits, allowing Gorman and Walker to move up to 5/6, Noot (CF) follows, before Edman and Knizner.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Contreras finally gets a hit after 20-odd futile tries and they sit him in favor of a .100 hitter. I guess he must be exhausted after that putout at the plate last night and needs the rest. I was hoping for a confirmation of the two-hole comeback.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Nice to see both Gorman and Walker slowly moving up in the order. Might want to leave Gorman in the 5 slot until he tapers off from generating as much or more offensive production than anyone else on the roster. I also think Walker would really thrive in front of Goldy in the 2 slot.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

It appears there’s a little rain or storms in the St. Louis area about now. It’s a small cell and should move out rather quickly. At least that’s how it looks on the Doppler Radar. I assume there will be no delay in this one. But, of course, I could be wrong.

Din din today is a ribeye steak in the air fryer, some ears of corn, a Mt. Dew, and a piece of white cake. This feast begins right around first pitch. I am sure Whitey Herdog will be on the couch, looking to get a bite or two. Then afterwards a Cuban Sandwich cigar. I doubt Whitey will want any of the cigar.

r/Esteemed Rat

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Game should start on time, Rats. It hammered down pretty good for about a half hour or so, but it’s cleared up and looks to be nice day now. An hour ago you’d of had a hard time getting that cigar lit…Haha!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Brendan Donovan (L) 1B
    2. Alec Burleson (L) LF
    3. Paul Goldschmidt (R) DH
    4. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B
    5. Nolan Gorman (L) 2B
    6. Jordan Walker (R) RF
    7. Lars Nootbaar (L) CF
    8. Tommy Edman (S) SS
    9. Andrew Knizner (R) C

Cards667
    Participant

Free

CiF,
    Contreras has only started over 100 games at C in his career 2 times. (2018 with 123 and 2021 with 112). If he starts 7 out of 10 he would start 113 games. So a day game after a night game makes since to give him a day off. Contreras has an elite arm and for his career has been an above average hitter, but his receiving leaves a lot to be desired.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

I like today’s line up. Swapping Noot and Burleson if Noot gets going would be acceptable too. Even with Contreras I’d stick close to this and just put Contreras 8 and Edman 9 and I’d be OK with it.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There are an endless number of ways to keep Carlson out of the lineup.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Pay Molina $2,000,000 to come on and teach Contreras how to catch behind the plate from now until the ASB

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Bling I’d take Carlson in the line up EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. over O’Neill. I mean absolutely no doubt. And I still say Carlson is the only OF they have of the how many ever they have that is actually acceptable in CF.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yeah, O’Neill has not been impressive in CF or at the plate. I’m not convinced Carlson wouldn’t fade at the plate like last year, but at least the D would be better.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wow Burly. That was hitting.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The FO needs to present O’Neill as an everyday starter the first half because they hope he will follow the Bader scenario at the deadline.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Even though I think Carlson has been a mild bust due to his overhyped prospect rankings I still think he should be in our lineup most days due to his defense. I enjoy offense as much as the next guy but my old school tendencies say that most winning teams do it with pitching and defense. Burleson, Walker, Yepez, and O’Neill do not inspire much confidence with me at all defensively. I know that O’Neill won a gold glove but I am still not sure how. He doesn’t look smooth out there to me. Carlson is probably a better corner OF than CF but he is still the best defensive CF on this team. Marmol needs to figure that out or the front office needs to give him permission to figure it out, whichever it is.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ve been thinking that too jj. And a CF is worth more than a LF.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They have Walker, Burleson, Noot and Carlson at the near minimum salary (and some like Gomez in the minors) while O’Neill is drawing arb2 pay. You know who is next out the door.

O’Neill in CF is trade value advertising

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sometimes Walker’s swing is too big. His front shoulder is swinging around too soon and he pulls off the ball. Its just a big swoosh. If he’s going to stay with that open stance facing the pitcher, he needs a shorter hack so his shoulder can stay in longer.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He’s contact dependent, 1/13 bb/k going into today.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He pulls off those sliders to soon so they end up too far away for him to even foul it off. It seems like a big hole that is going to get exploited.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

HPU ought to be locked up for fraud.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 93 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.