2022 Cardinals MLB Game 41 thread – Sunday, May 22 at Bucs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 41 thread – Sunday, May 22 at Bucs

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If a 13 pitcher staff can’t cover 9 innings its just pathetic.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Such concern over what? It was a blowout win. They took three in a row. Replacements are stepping in to help. Good.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s the same sort of angst as people griping about the DH, then when people bring up the very real possibility of pitchers being injured on the base paths or at the plate, they pooh pooh it. Then again, we’ve only lost our best pitcher twice in the last 7-8 years on injuries sustained while batting, but the data doesn’t matter.

The game is better for position players pitching in blowout games, just as the game is better for the DH being league wide.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

The injury prevention for pitchers hitting is better with the DH, the game is worse. I don’t like it a bit, but have accepted it and won’t complain too much about it. They will claim injury prevention, but it’s always just been a way to keep aging players who still can hit but can’t run or play defense in the game…Pujols, Nelson Cruz, so on are the only beneficiaries of DH, as they keep getting paid and not sitting at home.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m wondering if the rotation will be better without Matz.

Yes.

Liberatore is already a better option and much much cheaper.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is a kid’s game being played by adults. What endeared us all to this game in our youth? The answer is simple ….it was fun. This does not imply that we have to have a Jackie Price or Max Patkin out between innings, juggling and making goofy faces to keep us entertained. But when something harmless arises that most of the fans and players alike find amusing, why not continue the trend? If I may, I would like to offer Exhibit A into evidence as to the fondness that fans have of utilizing position players as pitchers in lopsided games. Our very own Wooster, in a post on this very thread, vividly and vicariously recalled a game over 30 years ago, where infielder Jose Oquendo of your St. Louis Cardinals, came into a long extra inning affair vs the Braves, and pitched 4 complete innings. As Wooster was regaling us with this event, I almost felt like I was back at that game watching these unusual, yet very exciting happenings unfold. It was as if I were standing a mere 2 feet from Jose Oquendo, as he was gripping the baseball in hand while intently looking in at his catcher, Ted Simmons, shaking Ted off not once…..not twice…..but a third time before finally coming to an agreement with his battery mate as to which pitch he was going to deliver. Thanks for the memories, Wooster!

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I don’t mind occasionally using a position player to pitch under certain circumstances but I think the position player in question should at the very least have some clue about pitching (having once been a pitcher, for example, or perhaps pitched in high school) and not merely provide some clownish antics. That seems to disrespect the game.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I can almost guarantee you with 100% certainty that these position players being trotted out to the hill, have a pretty good idea what pitching is about, Cardinal In France. Maybe they don’t know the intricacies about the position like a Steve Stone. But to have elevated themselves to this high level of play, they would know the basics of how to pitch while not injuring themselves. If not, I’d be shocked. Fun is what this sport needs more of. All parties involved are very careful in not disrespecting the opposing team…… that’s a given.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Euro gets it.

Not sure what to think about Yadi and Pujols pitching. I’d be praying every pitch standing less than 60 feet away from home plate with the stuff they’re lobbing up there against major league bashers.

Yadi hasn’t experienced balls coming off bats while standing on the mound…. and he’s not the youngest guy on the team. Just suppose he gets hit by a line drive and gets seriously injured…. who’d be laughing then. Marmol? He has no business pitching. What’s next Wainwright going into catch. Can you disrespect the game anymore than this???

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For the record I am not a fan of position players pitching, but as someone mentioned earlier, we have bigger problems with this team to worry about.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I understand why position players pitch in blowout games. What honks me is why do these position players just lob the ball to the plate? Surely Pujols and Molina could do a better job of pitching than just lobbing the ball up there? That’s making a mockery of the game. I am 63 years old and I guarantee you that I would not just lob the ball in there.

r/Esteemed Rat

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

I’m surprised how many people here invested extra money into the extra channels needed to watch the games. You guys are way better fans then me lol

I missed Gorman’s debut and the 2 HRs that Pujols hit yesterday.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I wish MLB hadn’t put these games on alternate channels, but it wasn’t a big deal for me. I did not try to watch the Peacock game live, but the Apple TV+ game was free. A person did need an Apple log in, but I’ve had one since I bought my first iPod years ago. I installed the Apple TV+ app on my Roku, logged in and selected the game. No credit card or any other foolishness.

For yesterday’s Peacock game, I watched the eight-minute condensed version on MLB.TV after I got home. I get that not everyone has a need to subscribe, though.

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

I can’t get AppleTV on my old Firestick for whatever reason. I searched for it and the app is not in the list nor the option to ‘Get it’. So I would have to upgrade which is more money. Extremely frustrating!

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am 63 years old and I guarantee you that I would not just lob the ball in there.

I too have a gut feeling that Rat would be throwing some pretty filthy stuff, that would keep even your more accomplished batters off balance. The injury aspect of having position players pitch is the only somewhat reasonable argument that can be made from the con side of this matter. With the junk that these guys are throwing, the possibility of a scorching liner coming right back towards the PPP (position player/pitcher) increases significantly. But, take note of all of these PPP’s……..they all are expendable. I know I know….Yadi and Albert are Cardinal greats…..but they both, at this stage of their careers, have one thing in common…..they are both very much expendable. I guarantee you that we will not be seeing any Tommy Edman’s or Juan Yepez’s trotted out there to pitch.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.