2022 Cardinals MLB Game 41 thread – Sunday, May 22 at Bucs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 41 thread – Sunday, May 22 at Bucs

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

By run differential, the Cards are the 4th best team in MLB now.

#Moknowsbest

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yadi pitching now

Well, there goes our shutout right down the drain.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Stop this crap with players pitching it cheapens the game and any hits off of them. Molina has stepped over the line and is getting to be an AH.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

And Pittsburgh sets a ML record with 19 9th inning runs off Yadi and Gallegos to clip our Birds 19-18.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Not quite as they only get 4 before the game ends…

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Joshing…..Yadi wasn’t quite that bad. But he does surrender 4 earned runs in the 9th, though he did accomplish what many of our relievers could not this year, by not issuing a single free pass in his one inning of work. Yadi & Albert now own identical ML lifetime ERA’s of a rather lofty 36.00.

Your wondrous final today:
    St. Louis Cardinals 18
    Pittsburgh Pirates 4

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

C’mon, Nyquist…I know you don’t like Yadi and I get not liking the trend but would you rather have a legit pitcher get injured pitching in a blowout? I’m fine with the position players pitching when games are out of hand.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

And now that the trend has started, we will be seeing more and more of position players getting a piece of the pitching action in blowout games…..mark my word on it. And like stlcard25, I don’t mind it. Stlcard25 likes it from the sensible aspect of it saving pitchers arms. I like it for the amusement of it. And I think many fans will get a kick out of it to. It definitely injects fun and an element of excitement to an otherwise mundane finish to a lopsided game. It’ll keep fans in their seats longer……and fans staying in the ballpark longer will add money into the owners and vendors hands. A slam dunk win-win for all concerned.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If the Pirates can have an infielder pitch the top of the ninth, we can have a catcher pitch the bottom.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

tHIRD HIT FOR gORMAN. gEE WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT THIS KID MUST BE TRUE.

Just looked at the box score and came to say all the Cards have evidently needed to do was bring up Gorman, and then noticed CIF has a bad case of hypercapslockkeymia. Or is that reversecapslockkeymia? Also noticed De Jong in the box score and thought they brought him back quickly — until I inspected a little closer.

Not sure what to think about Yadi and Pujols pitching. I’d be praying every pitch standing less than 60 feet away from home plate with the stuff they’re lobbing up there against major league bashers.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ha! You and your humor and knowledge have been missed, Euro Dandy. You need to come home…..where not only the buffalo roam, but also plenty of rejuvenated Birds. Hey, The Hammer has been strangely silent too as of late.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Pugs, been keeping an eye on things every day, but not investing the time yet on live viewing. Been doing my fitness activities in the evenings — retirement is good, ha! This will likely change as the season heats up.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Christ Ny! We have other things to worry about with this team than 2 position players hurling on b2b Sunday’s in a blowout.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

I’m very happy for Angel Rondon, who came through with 5 stellar innings today. The 24-year-old has had a bumpy ride since being named organizational Pitcher of the Year for his excellent age-21 season in AA.

I hope he’s given the opportunity to keep starting, whether in the majors or minors. He has a sound track record for his pro career, and appears to have the minimum daily requirement of modern fastball giddyup: per the Gameday website he hit 94.6 and 94.4 today, and was 93.2 on his 78th pitch, and 91.9 on his 85th.

Guys like Rondon, and Connor Thomas, and of course Jake Woodford sometimes just need to be trusted and given the chance to struggle a bit, before becoming the solid #4 MLB starters (or maybe a bit better?) that’s inside of them. That’s what’s happened with Austin Gomber in Colorado, as he’s settled into a 5-5 1/2 inning role with a slightly-better-than-average ERA+ of 105 last year and 103 so far in 2022. Not exciting, I realize. But very useful.

And just to add one of my patented killjoy observations, I do NOT want to see Cardinal position players pitching, ever since Felipe Lopez injured himself pitching in the 20-inning debacle versus the Mets about 15 years ago.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Been out golfing and missed the game What happened to Matz

UConn Card

Paid - Annual

ks,

Left shoulder stiffness. Felt it while warming up

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well sucks about matz. Was at a family outing today. Great offense today but what will it be tomorrow.

BrockLou
    Participant

Free

This showboating by Marmol, Puljos, and Yadi is getting mighty old, real fast. You’d think we had a 20 game lead in the standings and clinched homefield advantage throughout the playoffs.

It is obvious that Marmol is in way over his head. Time to send him down to AAA to get some managerial experience.

UConn Card

Paid - Annual

BrockLou,
    What showboating?

The circumstances in both games were quite similar:
    1. St Louis held commanding leads: 15-2 and 18-0
    2. Each opposing manager put a position player on the mound first thus tacitly conceding the game
    3. In both games St Louis responded by pitching a position player in the 9th but only AFTER their opponent did it first.

what showboating?

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m wondering if the rotation will be better without Matz.

BrockLou
    Participant

Free

UConn-When you are getting blown out, and have gone through many relievers, and you finally throw in the towel and put a position player on the mound, you are saving your staff for the next fight.

When you are blowing someone else out, and your relief corps is not stressed at all, you are SHOWBOATING in putting a position player on the mound. In the case of Albert and Yadi it is particularly egregious, since neither can pitch. Many position players allow zero or one run in an inning pitched.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Thanks uconn. Seems like we have heard this before. Then 2 years later he Pitches again. Hopefully not the case and he heals soon.

UConn Card

Paid - Annual

Interesting thought process.

I don’t agree at all.

When the opponent has conceded, the least you can do is to take your foot off their neck, so to speak. One of those unwritten rules of baseball (like not stealing a base/being aggressive on the basepaths when you’re up big).

The Giants’ manager is on record as approving of Pujols pitching so he clearly didn’t think the Cardinals were showboating.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Personally I’m not a big fan of putting position players in to pitch but I don’t consider it showboating. But I’m this case, they had done it and our pen was over extended so not a bad idea. Just saw where pujols hit two homers not one like I thought. You could tell he was getting close, had some great swings last night. He’s going to have to really heat it up to get to 700 but it really don’t matter.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Seen some strange stuff this year so far. Another team can’t remember who it is has a short older dumpy looking pitcher they’ve been putting in when it gets outtakes hand. He throws really slow junk ball stuff. Think he’s even got a knuckle ball. So we’re not alone. Personally I remember O Quendo pitching like 2am one night in an almost all nighter in the 1980s something like 18+/- innings tie at the time. I don’t have a problem with it if the other team throws in the towel first. When somebody rally’s in the 9th and we end up tied or losing then I will not like it anymore. I guess all in all maybe it’s better not to chance it. I change my vote!

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years