2022 Cardinals MLB Game 40 thread – Saturday, May 21 at Bucs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 40 thread – Saturday, May 21 at Bucs

Viewing 6 posts - 76 through 81 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think very few personnel decisions include input from the manager. Today’s managers do some in game management and try to keep the peace in the clubhouse. Everything else is dictated by the front office.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Something tells me the front office did NOT tell Whitey Herzog what to do.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carlson couldn’t really run out a high pop up, but not in agony or anything. Made it down to first. Hamstring I think they said.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, it’s good to get the win but it doesn’t really feel like that was a winning ballgame. Injuries, a weird lineup and guys out of position, a mediocre debut from Libby, but a W is a W. Hopefully the Cards can finish the sweep tomorrow.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

“Managers do not have as much autonomy as they did in the old days. I suspect the rotation, for example, is more decided by analysts and the front office than the manager. I cannot prove that, just as no one here knows how much control Marmol has been given.”

I don’t disagree with one word of the above, Brian.
    But I’m not just talking about Woodford and the rotation. Maybe the shifting of Hicks to a starter’s role was made collectively by many individuals at various levels. (And I agree 100% with that! But do it at AAA for 6 or 8 starts before force-feeding Hicks into an MLB rotation.)

What I’m talking about is Marmol’s refusal to give Jake Woodford any meaningful MLB responsibilities whatsoever. Not a swingman, or long man, or high-leverage multi-inning arm. Not even a mid-leverage helper out of the pen. Nope. First he was a leper, sitting for two weeks despite no reported physical ailment; then he was treated like a garbageman at the end of his MLB journey, tossing an inning here or there in zero-leverage spots.

Just a reminder: last year Jake Woodford had a respectable 3.99 ERA, and 3.61 over the 2nd half. And in September/October he made 5 starts and held batters to a line of .226/.286/.275, shutting out the (hated, rival, stinky) Brewers for 5 innings — twice.

And Marmol was here! He saw all of this, as a member of Mike Shildt’s staff. So what the #@$% turned him against Woodford so completely?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ollie’s refusal to use Woodford couldn’t have been due to on field performance and there does not seem to have been a pysical problem. It would have to fall somewhere under the philosophical differences unbrella.

I agree that managers today, especially a rookie promoted from within, may not have too much autonomy. But I do not think that would extend to being ordered to not play Woody at all for a couple weeks, and then only the odd mop up. My thinking is that was a Marmol/Maddux decision.

2.08 ERA is not worthy of being sent out, so I think Mo made the move in response to Ollie/Maddux refusing to utilize the player.

Viewing 6 posts - 76 through 81 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.