2022 Cardinals MLB Game 40 thread – Saturday, May 21 at Bucs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 40 thread – Saturday, May 21 at Bucs

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If only arenado was as hot as goldy. Would really make a difference.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Top of 6. Wil Crowe the new main man for Pittsburgh

Dickerson whiffs on 3 pitches.

Edman on 3-2 strikes out swinging.

Goldy flies out to Reynolds in left center.

Cards 5
    Bucs 4

And I’m being summoned in for our late din-din. Can anybody pick up the PBP for a bit.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

Call it what it is. Nine baserunners and a wild pitch, resulting in 4 earned runs (and men on base when he left) in 4 2/3 innings is a terrible performance.

I expect Matt will be better next time…but of course, with a competent manager it never would have come to this. Because with a legitimate MLB manager, Woodford would have taken that start tonight, because he would have already been stretched out as a swingman — given what he did last year overall, and his dominant September as an MLB starter, and his excellent Spring Training.

When a manager does something really, really stupid, it tends to resonate over time, ending in lots of little or large troubles.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bob, why do you think Woodford’s role was decided by Marmol? Also, the manager certainly did not make the decision to promote Liberatore.

UConn Card

Paid - Annual

From a Washington Post article on Marmol

St. Louis had to send former all-star shortstop Paul DeJong to Class AAA when his offensive struggles became too much for the lineup to absorb, though decisions like that are not in the hands of a manager.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Or 3 runs in 4 2/3 thanks to a terribly played ball to the outfield. Call it what it was. A nervous 22 year old that wasn’t great. May 12, 1997. A former Cardinal Pitcher had his debut. 3IP, 8H, 7 er. Not Mike Mayers, but the one and only Chris Carpenter. He turned out ok.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

Are you suggesting, Brian, that Oli Marmol isn’t the one who decided to transition Jake Woodford from last year’s swingman/starter into the mop-up garbagetime guy he became this year?

I always give the manager all of the blame/credit for pitcher roles and batting orders and other day-to-day minutiae. No matter how much input they may get one way or another from outside influences, the buck still stops with them — for good or ill.

Just like when Matheny had the Dexter Fowler & Harry Bader conflict in 2018. Matheny gets the blame for taking so long before benching Fowler in mid-June. But Matheny also gets the credit for finally doing so — unlike Shildt who reversed course and inexcusably re-instated Fowler and dislodged Bader from the starting lineup.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Bob Reed Marmol is mo’s puppet. That’s why he is in that position. Do you think he would have left PDJ in thye lineup all this time?

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Shocked VerHagen didn’t cough that up. I guess he’s been better since his return.

Far as Woodford goes. He’s been jerked around big time this year. Likely due to Hicks advancement as a starter. He should be in Memphis for one reason. To be stretched as a starter when he returns.

And Lol Carpenter had been a big leaguer before he hit STL.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Liby’s bad luck debuting vs the 27 Yankees. He needs to keep off the middle of the plate.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bob is right on target. Liberatore will probably indeed do better but that means nothing here. Woodford pitched well enough to get extended looks at starting especially with the issues we have had there. But instead they have tried everything but him at that spot. From what I saw in spring liberatore needed a lot more work to get up here. I haven’t followed his work in the minors so I don’t really know how he has done but even that doesn’t matter. Woodford earned it. I guess he isn’t flashy enough or something. I don’t know who is to blame but I’m blaming everyone. Seems like a team effort from the manager all the way to the owners to not give Woodford his due.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

And Lol That was Carpenters debut at age 22 with Toronto. Look at Gibson’s first 3 games before he got sent down. Look it up. And I agree with Woodford. The guy will never get his chance with this Team.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Willie, Liberatore was a .500 pitcher in AAA.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Gorman’s swing is much much better than when he was in the lower minors. I hope he lives to the hype, but I still have my doubts. But I definitely trust him way more than O’Neill.
    Also I know someone who went to high school with Peters and said he was a major cocaine user and wild as can be.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Just got to the game in the 6th inning. Been catching up on whats happened. Close game now 1 run ahead stsrting the 9th. Need some more runs and close down pitching.
    Din-din was out to rib-eye dinner-salad and onion rings abd a draft Guiness
    Me and my sweet wifes anniversary. Go Cardinals! Close it out!

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Meanwhile back at the ole’ ballpark, not much has happened of late, which I guess due to the circumstances, isn’t all that bad of a thing. The Cardinals bat in the 9th and it’s still 5-4 Cards. Helsley should be out in the bottom half of this inning.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Happy Anniversary Wooster! And many many more.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Couldn’t PH for Pujols here with Donovan?

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Arenado must have felt he had foul tipped that Pitch.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Helsley and the rest of the bullpen did a fine job tonight. Not exactly playing a great team but you got to win these games and we are. Go for the sweep tomorrow.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We got the win in Liby’s start. That’s the bottom line.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am not defending how the Cardinals have used Woodford. That is a different focus from what I am addressing.

Managers do not have as much autonomy as they did in the old days. I suspect the rotation, for example, is more decided by analysts and the front office than the manager. I cannot prove that, just as no one here knows how much control Marmol has been given. But I have watched these dynamics fairly closely for some time and trust my intuition.

The make-up of the roster is definitely not the manager’s responsibility.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cards win 5-4.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

If Carlson is down along with Tyler I wonder if Burleson might get the call.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Didn’t see Carlson get hurt-hope its not too bad. Heksley comes thru again. Boy hes looking good. Same 2 guys as last night go 0fer again. No production at their spots does not bode well for the future. Pallante did much better tonight too. Close game actually we had 10hits they had 7.Go Cardinals! Thanks Pugs also!

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years