2022 Cardinals MLB Game 38 thread – Thursday, May 19 at Mets

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 38 thread – Thursday, May 19 at Mets

Viewing 22 posts - 51 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pugs I hear what you are saying about helsley but I’ll believe it when it happens.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I do not understand why we didn’t acquire a closer. I like Gallegos, but the failure of the front office to get an established closer is costing us games. How is Joe Kelly doing? Has he played? I think our bullpen would be better suited with Gallegos, Helsley, Cabrera as 7th inning guys. If nothing else, I would have kept Helsley in.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Frustrating losses against the Giants and Mets lately.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I liked the way we battled. Hudson kept us in it, wittgren didn’t. We just couldn’t get that big hit with guys on. I think we were like 1 for 10. Still didn’t agree with taking helsley out. I say go for it today and save gallegos for tomorrow if needed. Might win big, might get blown out. If helsley blew it, you just chalk it up to life.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Alonso again with the game winning hit. Our pitching is making a hero out of this guy. Will they ever learn?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Eight losses in last 12 games. Losing record against winning teams this season. What is going to change?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What is going to change?

We will be playing the Pirates.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

Albert Pujols is now 4-for-36 versus righty pitchers this year, with a sub-.400 OPS. (It was .500 last year, and hasn’t been league average since the Obama administration.) He is batting .474 against southpaws but unfortunately he’s had 70% of his plate appearances against righties — including the killer double play he grounded into today, in the 10th inning, with two men on base.

Our boy manager needs a lesson in math. Oh, wait, never mind. He’s gonna use metrics and matchups this year! Wasn’t that what we were told, over and over and over again?

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I hear you Bob. Though not sure what else we have is a better option. Maybe with Gorman up, it might make some difference.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You get what you pay for. The Mets paid up this offseason, Canha, Bassit, Scherzer and Starling Marte are just a few I remember; STL got Mutz, Pujols and Dickerson. I’m not surprised they are the better team.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well so far the Mets look like the better team, but a lot of these games have been close. I believe we will get further this season than the Mets but that’s just a hunch.

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

Gallegos is not a closer and I’m sure Mo’s calculus will reveal this. This isn’t the first time this season he’s blown a lead/game. Without substances he’s not the pitcher they thought he was. So hopefully Mo can remember to tell Marmol not to use him as a closer.

It was good to see the Cardinals fight their way back a few times. Mets defense is not very good and it will cost them games as the season rolls on. If it wasn’t for our bullpen we probably would have won the last 2 games.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

“You get what you pay for. The Mets paid up this offseason, Canha, Bassit, Scherzer and Starling Marte are just a few I remember; STL got Mutz, Pujols and Dickerson. I’m not surprised they are the better team.”

The Mets signed Buck Showalter. The Cards hired Boy Wonder. There’s your difference.

Albert Pujols has been EXACTLY what he was last year — he kills lefties and stinks against righties. It’s the kid manager who has mis-used him so badly that Albert appears to be just a mediocre hitter now. Dickerson hasn’t hit, but Yepez has made up for that. Yes, Matz has disappointed. No arguing that point.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Tough loss. The club did pay for late inning pitching in recent years, and it did not provide much ROI so they decided to go with cheaper talent and see if they would get about the same results, or perhaps a lot better results.

Helsley is the best you got right now, although he was bad in his last outing. But he looks like the guy you want on the mound at the highest leverage times.

Gallegos has never inspired a lot of confidence in me. Just a bit too erratic. Does not look like a guy other teams fear facing, whereas Helsley can be nasty.

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

Hicks is not a starter and never should have left the pen. Liberator should replace Hicks and that would solve a few issues. My only concern is that Hicks seems to thrive on 4 days rest.

BrockLou
    Participant

Free

The club had pretty good results with Matheny and Schildt (the latter’s last cardinal game notwithstanding), so I can see why they went with Marmol, staying with the managerial ‘in house’ formula.

Although ERA can be deceptive, especially for relievers with low total innings pitched, this is less so for closers. The reason is that they don’t have to worry about the dreaded ‘inherited runners’ being allowed to score by another reliever. Therefore, when you see a closer with an era significantly over 3.00 this far into the season, you know he isn’t going to work out.

Not very impressed with Wittgren nor with McFarland so far this season either. When your pen is not deep, your starters need to pitch deep into the game. That’s why tapping Hicks as a starter makes no sense. Not sure what’s wrong with Hudson, but he didn’t deserve to be tagged with 4 earned runs.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Nothing is going to change, the Front Office doesn’t give to craps about the team.

bccran
    Participant

We’re watching a team in semi-transition right now – Yepez, Donovan,
    Gorman, and Libby. Burleson next.
    It’s actually exciting to see for all those who follow our prospects.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I do not understand that hit and run is not employed. More often when Pujols and Yadi bat. They both make contact so why not avoid some DPs?

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You may be right there bccran. The thing is we may end up the worse for it. But time will tell

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Some interesting discussion on where things stand right now. I agree we have had some loses in some close games lately. Playing good teams seems to expose our weaknesses. Right now I am amazed at how bad our bull pen has been. Last year this was our stregnth. I’m like what the heck happened. I agree with the comments on Galeagos , Helsley and Cabrera and Hicks. The rest of the pen seem to be basically interns and are still developing players
    I can see them growing and improving through the rest of the season. We have up and comers coming in from AAA. No problem with that too. Just have to realize where we’re at. We could won the division this year if these guys get better. Really need to stay near Milwaukee and not fall into the lower ranks of our division. Bullpens gonna have to inprove. Face it too. Pulous and Yadi are both slow base runners. Run and hit is an option. Bunting and sac to move guys over too. Walking a power guy in a tight spot. Been playing these games close but coming out on the losing end. Need just a little more to win against the good teams!

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

Dan likes to point out that Pujols leads the MLB in hitting into double plays, all-time. I’m not a fan of Dickerson and I think it’s another bad trade. I’d rather see Pujols in there even though his defense has hurt the team with errant throws and a few bad picks.

Maybe Mo’s calculus told him Pujols is a little better right now. I’m sure Mo ordered Marmol to keep him in there. As long as he continues to get on base.

I don’t share the view of some others here that we have a chance in the playoffs (or even to make it) and I’d like to see Pujols in the lineup. Nothing is more exciting to me than watching Pujols at the plate. It brings me back to a better time when there was hope and winning was important to the organization.

Viewing 22 posts - 51 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.