2022 Cardinals MLB Game 146 thread – Saturday, Sept. 17 vs. Reds Game 1

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 146 thread – Saturday, Sept. 17 vs. Reds Game 1

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

12:15 p.m.
    LHP José Quintana or RHP Dakota Hudson vs. LHP Mike Minor or RHP Hunter Greene
    BSM // KMOX // WIJR
    Also BSSO and BSSW+

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

This one will be Hudson against Minor. At least that’s what I have seen and heard. No doubt Pujols will be in the lineup for this one. Assume he’s at 1st in this one and Goldy will DH. Then they will flip flop for the night game.

We have a 7.5 lead on the Brewers at the moment. They are playing the slumping Yankees. We will be somewhere’s between 6 and 9 games ahead at close of business on Saturday. We are going to need every little bit we can get to hang on.

r/Esteemed Rat

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t see MIL as a 90 win club, but if they were to finish their final 18 games with a 13-5 record, they would have a 90-72 W/L season.

StL has 85 wins this morning, with 17 games remaining.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m predicting Albert will hit 2 homers today and get to 700, especially if he hits a solo shot on his first homer against Minor. The key is keeping Minor in the game for 3 AP at bats.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Facing Minor and Greene today…as long as Dakota can get us through 5 innings with 3 ER or fewer, I like the Cards to sweep the doubleheader. I’m thinking AP is DH for one of the games and hits #699, with Stormin Gorman finding his stroke the other game. Both will homer. Cards win 11-4 and 9-2.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Carlson is showing active on the roster and O’Neill on the IL

Cards667
    Participant

Free

And Carlson starting game 1.

1. Edman 2B
    2. Carlson RF
    3. Goldschmidt DH
    4. Arenado 3B
    5. Pujols 1B
    6. DeJong SS
    7. Donovan LF
    8. Molina C
    9. DeLuzio CF

Cards667
    Participant

Free

O’Neill to IL with left hamstring strain.

At least I don’t have to watch him K and play CF. I really hope the O’Niell experiment is about over and especially in CF where his lack of fluid mobility is overly exposed. I never saw gold glove LF, regardless of what metric were showing.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

With the day/night twin billing, I’m looking for the Cardinals to reassert authority and win both of these games. Additionally, after last night’s monstrous #698 two run tater-mash by the Great Pujols to tie the game in the 6th, I won’t be at all surprised if he once again demonstrates that he may very well be the greatest right-handed hitter of all-time by tatering up twice today to reach the 700 HR plateau if he’s in the lineup for both games. Heck, it wouldn’t surprise me too much if the great slugger does it in game one.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I personally don’t really much give a rats rear end about Pujols and his homeruns. This is getting to be like 1998 and McGwire. People are more interested in the homeruns than the game intself. I am more interested in wins and losses than I am homeruns.

We better win at least two of these remaining three against the Reds because we have that west coast trip coming up. Undoubtedly we will lose at least four of those six games, maybe even five. Then we have those two games at Milwaukee. Does everyone not realize there is a very good chance that after the two games in Milwaukee we might be in 2nd place?

r/Esteemed Rat

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I really hope the O’Niell experiment is about over and especially in CF where his lack of fluid mobility is overly exposed. I never saw gold glove LF, regardless of what metric were showing.

Why in the world would it be over? The guy was a down ballot MVP vote guy just one year ago and has two more seasons of cheap control. Just like Alex Reyes, you don’t just throw those guys away. No one save Jordan Walker has close to the same ceiling in our system.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

It’s my view that Albert’s relentless quest for 700 HR’s has obscured the fact that he’s only 11 RBI’s shy of tying Babe Ruth for 2nd place on the all-time RBI leaders list. To me, that’s a pretty big deal and well within reach. In a perfect world, I’d like to see him end his career with precisely 2214 RBI’s and remain tied with the Great Bambino on the all-time list for the important category of methodically shoving runs across HP.

1982 willie
    Participant

Well ratsbuddy, you have held a grudge against pujols a while now and incorrectly at the start of the season pointed out he would get nowhere near 700 home runs. Some of us are lifelong cardinal fans and have been there in the good and the lean years and still appreciate the players that have made the Cardinals the organization they are sometimes in spite of management. Every year teams play to get to the playoffs and beyond, the moments like pujols dont come around that often. Appreciate and applaud them while we can. Just like bader, pujols won’t be around much longer for some of you to kick around.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Rats…Personally, I care a lot about the Great Pujols attaining 700 HR’s. And personally, I never cared for McGwire even prior to the time he placed himself on TV and acknowledged he had been dealing seconds as shed a few phoney tears…

1982 willie
    Participant

I’m hopeful Albert only hits one homerun today, that way tomorrow when I’m at the stadium, it will be electric.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I must admit – I never expected anything like this from Pujols this year. My mistake. But, after seeing the way he was hitting in the Atlanta series just before the All Star Break would anyone blame me? He looked completely lost up there!!!

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

1982willie…Haha! I hope you’re in the cheap seats and snag #700 Willie! I was at last night’s ballgame with my son. He utterly destroyed that first pitch offering from Espinal. He’s something else altogether!

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Why in the world would it be over? The guy was a down ballot MVP vote guy just one year ago and has two more seasons of cheap control. Just like Alex Reyes, you don’t just throw those guys away. No one save Jordan Walker has close to the same ceiling in our system.

Trade O’Niell this off season is what I’d do. Let someone else deal with his “potential”. I’d put money on Reyes is going to be a non-tender this off season too.
    People keep mentioning what I view as a complete outlier season as “MVP caliber player”.
    2021: 537ab, 26 2B, 3 3B, 34 HR, 38 BB, 168 K, .286/.352/.560
    Non-2021: 744ab, 27 2B, 1 3B, 35 HR, 70 BB, 258 K, .228/.301/.408
    2022: .228/.308/.392

Trade him to someone who still has your thinking before it’s too late!!

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Pujols and Carlson were flipped after the first lineups were posted.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Almost time for first pitch so, a couple of little baseball trivia questions for our distinguished panel of experts to contemplate over the course of the game…

1. Who are the only two players to ever win a league MVP, a World Series MVP, and an All-Star Game MVP?
    I’ll offer up a little hint for this one…They both played for the same team.

2. Name the pitcher who holds the Big League record for most career wins without ever having a regular season AB? A subtle hint…Think a particular time line for this one.

As always, if you look it up before submitting an answer, not only will you be disqualified from winning the coveted Bill Buckner autographed oven mitt, but will also be subjected to the awful fate of the baseball gypsies conjuring up an evil spirit to drop spiders into your $15 hot dog…

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

The great slugger works an 0-2 count into a BB. That’s almost as much fun as watching him tater-up…

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

That line drive out to RF tells me Goldy’s located his swing. Not a good thing for opposing pitchers.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Trade him to someone who still has your thinking before it’s too late!!

First, I didn’t suggest that he’s an MVP caliber player. We have two of those…Goldy and Arenado. The rest are guys who we hope catch lightning in a bottle enough to push us up to the top of the heap in a given year. We’ve had several of those guys lately…O’Neill, Edman, Pham, etc.

What I did suggest is that he’s got potential to do it again. Would there be a market if they decided to trade him? Sure. If you want a return like they got for Pham (Cabrera, Williams, Ramirez), then it makes great sense. Or perhaps if you can include him as part of a bigger trade, then I agree it makes sense.

Still, there’s a good bit of risk that we assume. Going into next year, we have one starting caliber OFer…Carlson. The rest are total unknowns. If O’Neill goes off and performs well, you’re looking at a big net negative.

1982 willie
    Participant

Well ratsbuddy, you can make that claim for anyone in this lineup this year at one point or another outside of maybe goldy and Donovan. Far as getting the 700 homerun ball, probably not going to happen. I had to wait to get the tickets because of seeing whether my son’s wife was going to be able to go. By then all tickets were sold out in left to center field. Then I decided to wait to see if prices would go down which they did, so I snagged right field tickets. Pujols doesn’t hit many that way especially nowadays. But it will still be great being a part of it. Originally I didn’t think he would be close to it now, thought it might go down to last series of year and still could. I am going to the Sept 30 game as well but was thinking about the oct 1 game cause like I said I figured it would be close. But went ahead and got tomorrows mainly because oct 1 is my hometowns 100 year celebration of it’s festival known as mule day and I didn’t want to miss it.

1982 willie
    Participant

Far as the outfield goes,I don’t know that we can keep Walker down if he’s as good as everyone says he is. I think O’Neil will be with team next year but we will have lots of questions marks going into it for sure.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years