2022 Cardinals MLB Game 115 thread – Tuesday, August 16 vs. Rockies

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 115 thread – Tuesday, August 16 vs. Rockies

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 110 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:45 p.m.
    LHP Jose Quintana (4-5, 3.37) vs. LHP Kyle Freeland (7-8, 4.84)
    BSM // KMOX // WIJR
    Also BSSE and BSSW+

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We need to turn the tables on the Rockies this week by taking at least two out of three, if not the sweep. They aren’t the same team outside of Coors Field.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Milwaukee now hosts the Dodgers for four games at County Stadium. Then the Brewers are at Wrigley for three and then the following week the Brewers go to Dodger Stadium for three games. We have the Rockies at home, Arizona and the Cubs on the road for the next ten days.

We better increase our lead over these next ten days. Remember, the 2nd to last week of the season we have three at San Diego, three at Los Angeles, and then two at Milwaukee. That could be a killer stretch for the Redbirds.

r/Esteemed Rat

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Ratsbuddy…Yep, it’ll probably boil down to the last game of the regular season, but that’s okay. The Redbirds seem to always play their best baseball in the post season when their backs have been up against the wall for the last week or two of the regular season. Witness ’06 and ’11. Pressure you say…what’s that?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If I am the Brewers I don’t like what I am seeing. They haven’t had a good vibe the last couple of weeks. They could be battling it out with the Padres for that final wild card spot.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

The Cardinals have more talent than the Brewers. We will win the Central…it was won when we got Monty & Q and the Brewers traded Hader.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The Cards and Brewers have the appearance of clubs trending in opposite directions. But you gotta play the games. It would seem St. Louis will win the division, and by the time the final numbers are in it could be by a fairly wide margin (7-10 games).

But all of us who have followed baseball a long time know that you can never assume anything. I learned that when Bob Gibson lost the 7th game of the 1968 World Series. It was an eye-opening experience for a kid. I thought if Gibson pitched a winner-take-all game, it was a lock.

But a six week stretch will even out the occasional blips, and barring a major injury the Cardinals look like the better ball club.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I saw several comments on Sunday’s game thread devoted to Pujols moving up the ladder in various all-time categories. One I didn’t see was total bases. He currently places third all-time with 6127 TB’s behind Stan Musial and Henry Aaron. He won’t catch Hank with 6856, but he only needs 7 to tie the great Musial who collected 6134 TB’s in his storied career with the Cardinals. Man alive, those are a lot of bags to carry…In another category, Albert has now collected 689 HR’s, and slugging 11 more with only 48 games remaining this season will be extremely difficult to do in order to reach the 700 HR plateau. A more realistic goal may be tying or surpassing Rodriguez on the all-time HR list and that would not bother me one single bit… The great Pujols needs just 7 HR’s to tie and 8 to take over sole possession of 4th on the all-time HR list just a notch below the legendary Babe Ruth. Man, when you see Albert next to names like Musial, Aaron and Babe Ruth, you almost have to feel a real strong sense of how incredibly fortunate we were to have seen the great slugger play the game of baseball in a Redbird uniform.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

BikeMike…As an 11 year old kid I was sitting with my dad and my uncle in the LCF bleachers less than 50 ft. from where Flood’s 1st step gave way in the grass of the OF in the fateful visitor half of the 7th. My dad took me to the old Chase Park Plaza hotel the evening prior to the game in order to try to get a few autographs from Tiger players as they arrived from the airport. I still have them. One is none other than Mickey Lolich…

At any rate, that was a bit before I really took an interest in pretty girls, but I can’t remember ever being quite as heart broken as I was on the ride home from that game. I’m not sure I was able to entirely get past it until 2006…I’ve heard it said that the game of baseball is not at all unlike an incredibly beautiful woman in the sense it is designed to not only bring you immense joy, but also to entirely break your heart.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think we sweep colorado at home unless one of our pitchers just really has a bad game early. We are getting down to the point where we can’t afford to let games get out of hand early.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think if pujols can get8 homers, no reason to think he couldn’t get 3 more if he stays hot. Depends on number of at bats of course. It’s a stretch but pujols has done better in his time

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

22 year old Nolan Gorman is 13th in MLB in xSLG, 13th in Barrel%, and 1st in SweetSpot%. Why aren’t we talking more about this

Maybe because he’s a .240 hitting platoon player who strikes out too much.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

With Quintana, Montgomery and Wainwright slated it’s looks promising. I’m greedy like the next guy at this juncture of the season so I certainly hope to win all of them, but I’ll be satisfied with winning 2 of 3. It’s difficult to sweep a 3 game series against any team in this league, even when playing at home. Interesting fact about the ’82 world championship Cardinal team is that they never lost more than 3 games in a row during that entire season. Winning streaks are always nice, but I’ve always thought that it was more important to avoid the dreaded extended losing streak. I suppose that’s why ‘stoppers’ are so important to a rotation. We’ll see what happens.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Bling…Gorman doesn’t fall victim to the K any more often than TO and NG’s collected 13 HR’s in roughly 25 less AB’s. You can’t discount his power and the production potential. If he can accumulate roughly 500 PA’s, I don’t see how there’s any way he won’t tater up 30 to 35 times in a season. In my view, he’s a keeper and I’d like to see him in the Redbird OF or in the DH slot on a daily basis in ’23.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

We will probably only face +/- 15 more LH starters the rest of the year. Pujols isnt getting 8 more HRs let alone 11. I certainly dont Want him facing RH pitchers just tô chase records.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Carioca…He won’t get to 700, but he’s got an outside chance for the 7 or 8 HR’s needed to tie or pass Rodriguez for 4th place behind Ruth. Heck, he tatered-up twice yesterday. In a couple of weeks, I may be ready to count him out, but not yet.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Pretty full slate for a Mon. tonight in the Big Leagues with only the Redbirds and Colo. idle. I’ll be keeping an eye on Brewers/Dodgers, Phillies/Reds and O’s/Jays.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I’ve heard it said that the game of baseball is not at all unlike an incredibly beautiful woman in the sense it is designed to not only bring you immense joy, but also to entirely break your heart.

I have never heard that, but how true, 1TD! Yeah, that game 7 in ’68 really was a heartbreak. What amazed me, and I was 14 then, was game 5 when we were up 3-1 late with what looked like a clinch coming soon, and Mayo Smith let Lolich bat in the 7th inning I believe, with 1 or 2 outs. I do not recall exactly, but the Tigers were down to their last 7 or 8 outs, and Lolich was left in to hit, and he got a hit! That started the downfall right there. Tigers come back late to win game five 5-3, blow us out in game 6, then beat the invincible Gibson in game 7.

Willie Horton said that he never faced a pitcher with better stuff than Gibby had in game one of that series. Watching that game today, his slider was moving a good foot or more that day. Just incredible. Not sure how he did not pitch a no-hitter.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

BikeMike…Haha! Yeah, at a still naive 11 years old at the time, I was like you insofar as if Gibby’s pitching, we win! I guess it’s good to learn at an early age that, ‘youneverknow!’

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bling…Gorman doesn’t fall victim to the K any more often than TO

I concede that point, they both have 30% K rate

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

If I put Gorman and Matt Chapman’s 2022 slash lines on here you couldn’t tell the difference. Chapman K’s 3.5% less. Both 123 ops+. Not bad company.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Bling… Gorman’s also only 22 and this is his first look around in the Big Leagues. I think he’ll make more contact as he matures. Nothing against TO, but he’s been around the league for several seasons and also seems a little prone to bumps and bruises.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I know this isn’t BA, but it is still pretty impressive…

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Whenever I point out certain of Gorman’s stats it is assumed I am being anti Gorman. I can’t help that he is hitting .240, that he is a platoon player and that he has a high K rate. He had a year in A level and a year split between AA and AAA, with a year off and a position change in the middle of it. He is doing pretty well considering, but the less impressive stats I mentioned are still just as much reality as whatever somebody wants to cherry pick . Next year he may improve and maybe be a full time starter, or he may fade as O’Neill and Carlson have this year.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 110 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years