2021 Spring training roster

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Spring training roster

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

I’m not trying to be confrontational, Brian. I was reconfirming exactly that – that more warm bodies are
    needed with catchers mitts. I said “I guess they need catchers, so they make exceptions for short season guys?” I was just confirming what you and I have both known for years. I would ask here, though, why a catcher like Antonini was invited when there are other catchers who have much more experience in the system.
    Isn’t that a snub to them?

Secondly, I was asking why Thompson was invited with only 15.1 innings of professional ball when there are a lot more experienced pitchers who were left out. That’s a legitimate question. I guess even though a pitcher has very little experience, but is a highly drafted college pitcher who looked good at summer camp (and will probably make it as high as Memphis this year), he can be an exception. Is that what you think?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Precisely who are these “snubbed” catchers you mention? I am looking at the Roster Matrix and don’t see a one of them.

Thompson is expected to be an MLB contributor no later than 2022 with a decent probability. How many of those pitchers passed over for camp can claim that? (hint: none)

Participant

Free

Will answer that later.

It might be a good idea to go into a store or two right now to pick up some cards and some flowers for my wife for Valentine’s Day. Have you completed that task, Brian?

Participant

Paid - Annual

SOMEONE needs to find out if catcher Eodriguez is injured. He is obviously the one missing.

Participant

Free

Just some questions. Not trying to make a point.

Highest levels –

Antonini has 25 games at Johnson City
    Pages has 50 games at State College
    Herrera has 65 games at Palm Beach, 2 at Springfield
    Rodriguez has 71 games at Palm Beach, 14 at Springfield

Why Antonini and Pages instead of Herrera and Rodriguez?

Also, where is Mendoza? Is he gone?

Participant

Paid - Annual

If they go with 14 pitchers, I see Oviedo, Rondon, Williams, Woodford, Warner, Krucynski vying for AAA rotation spots.
    The bullpen will be very competitive with Quezada, Woodford, Whitley, Fernandez, Elledge not having guaranteed spots without injuries.
    Milina and Knizner would be the near automatic choices for catcher.
    The 6 infielders would seem set except for Sosa, whose spot could be tenuous if a NRI, or a new addition is impressive in the spring.
    Also likely would be the team carrying 4 outfielders, with Williams and Thomas duking it out for the 4th spot.

Then the taxi squad would likely be the new catching addition Sanchez, one of the relievers mentioned above, and an outfielder like Dean, Thomas. I would imagine some taxi squadders would be rotated to give them regular innings, or at bats at Memphis.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It is going to be interesting how they handle the taxi squad. Last year the taxi squad crew didn’t really impact the AAA team because there was no minor league season but this year there will be.

Assuming that the taxi squad are only around in case of an emergency thus will receive little playing time will this influence who is on the taxi squad. I would assume the Cardinals would want their most promising prospects playing regularly instead of sitting around waiting for someone to get sick.

I guess the taxi squad can be changed every so often but it will still be interesting to see how they handle it. It could impact the AAA team quite a bit.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran said:

Why Antonini and Pages instead of Herrera and Rodriguez?

Also, where is Mendoza? Is he gone?

Herrera is on the 40-man roster so he is in camp by default. Rodriguez is not invited for reasons not yet clear.

What catcher is named Mendoza? I do not know who you are talking about.

Bottom line, there are no catcher snubs.

Participant

Free

Happy Valentine’s Day, Brian.

I guess Herrera wasn’t “snubbed”. He was just not invited for some mysterious other circumstances.

I was asking about third baseman Evan Mendoza because I didn’t see him on the 40 man roster and I didn’t see him as a ST invitee. Is he gone? I can’t find anything about him being claimed.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Mendoza was invited and Herrera is on the 40 man. Julio Rodriguez is the question mark.

Participant

Free

Thank you for your clarifications, UD. Much appreciated.

Participant

Blake Newberry (VEB) did a good story concerning the infielder spot that’s open as of now.

To me, the Card’s infield is bone-on-bone thin. So many prospects are gone and others just evaporized.

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2021/2/14/22282783/who-will-be-the-cardinals-utility-infielder

Participant

Free

“Sosa has not been an above average hitter since rookie ball.”

Sosa in 2019 at Memphis –

Games – 118
    Home run – 17
    RBI – 62
    BA – .291
    OBP – .335
    Slg. – .466
    OPS – .801

Some say that there was a lot of hitting in the PCL, but still.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I guess Herrera wasn’t “snubbed”. He was just not invited for some mysterious other circumstances.

As Brian and Denny alluded to Herrera WILL be in camp.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Given that there will be no DH, Sosa fits much better on the 2021 roster where he can flash his above average defense, pinch run, if needed. I also think his hitting profile is good all around except for his lack of on base (OBP) skills. Watching Brad Miller play defense was painful last year, so I hope they don’t add someone to the infield mix, unless it is a serious upgrade.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

When do the pitchers and catchers report? And when does the full squad report?

Tons of snow here in SW Indiana.

r/Esteemed Rat

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Rats, should be on Wednesday the 17th. We are close!

Stay safe there in Indiana. We are supposed to get snow tonight but in NW PA we are used to that (8-20″ on the ground most everywhere now already).

Participant

Paid - Annual

It might be fun to see what people are thinking the opening day outfield will be. As of now, and as we go through spring training and see what guys do, who gets hurt, etc. I’m assuming its Bader, Carlson and don’t know who the third frontrunner would be as of now.

Participant

Free

I would assume it’s O’Neill, Bader, and Carlson, blingboy. Unproven Kiddie Corps, but Carlson should be fine. Thomas is probably going to be #4. Competition for #5 between Williams, Dean, and Szczur.

Participant

Its amazing what the middle of the country is going through with the weather from TX to the Canadian border. However, FL is plenty warm right now, so that’s good. In NY today some of that 24″ is actually melting today with only 8″ to 10″ expected on Thursday. But we have plenty of salt and plows so I’m feeling lucky. I’m one of those guys that doesn’t mind shoveling… I believe that’s why my wife keeps me around. Smile face here.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It was -20 here in Northwest Arkansas this morning, which is unheard of for this area. It can get cold here but not that cold. We have about 6″ of snow on the ground now with more forecast for tonight and tomorrow. South Florida is sounding pretty good right now.

Participant

Paid - Annual

My brother is in Houston with no power. He says immigrants can come if they bring fire wood.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Any word on Visa problems yet?

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Are we going to have an official “SPRING TRAINING” thread?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years