2021 Spring training roster

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Spring training roster

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

38 players on the 40-man plus these…

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What is it, 6 days til pitchers and catchers report?? I can’t wait to see some baseball!!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Interesting that Delvin Perez gets an invite. This could be his last year in the organization if he doesn’t hit better.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My sleeper pick Lars in a NRI ! Light em up Nooty.

UncleDenny
    Participant

Noticeably missing catcher Julio Rodriguez

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

But I bet Antonini feels like he just won the lottery, low A one day, hangin with Yadi the next.

bccran
    Participant

Fine looking group of outfielders.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As much as I would like to see a stereotypical LF/1b type thumper in the group, a grizzled veteran with pine tar in his veins, the OF thing will make for a fun to follow spring and early season story line.

I take a light hearted approach to posting here amongst some serious and knowledgeable folks, but I did put some research and thought into my choice of Nootbar as my sleeper pick. Research in the form of looking up TCN draft day article (Scott Schook and BW) from 2018 when he was an 8th rounder. An analytics driven pick (my favorite) where a combination of very good plate discipline and power potential got the computer’s attention. I do object to the “left handed Luke Voit” reference as plate discipline is not a Voit characteristic.

But there you go, a potential LF/1b thumper sleeper. And here he is an out of left field NRI. Just what doctor bling ordered. They could have done better than 91 with the uni number.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Excellent reasoning, bling. I agree that Nootbar could be a sleeper. I also think that Justin Toerner is going to turn heads at some point. He plays hard and though he doesn’t but for a huge average, he looks to have a good eye at the plate (.387 OBP in his minors career). Perhaps a Matt Carpenter starter kit.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My sleeper pick for the outfield is Capel. I think he still has another gear if he can put it all together. I could easily see him as a fourth OF at some point similar to Justin Williams.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Actually, Nootbaar’s #91 may be either prescient or sly. Long time TCN and TCNB participants know who once wore #19 briefly one spring when he was an unknown outfielder standing in from the left side. 19-91, get it? Brian, take good notes to save research time for the future article.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Matt ranked this 23/24 year old group like this:

Capel #41 (5th rd.’16 CLE)
    Toerner #42 (28th rd.’18)
    Nootbar #47 (8th rd.’18)

The Community saw it this way:
    Toerner #32
    Nootbaar #50
    Capel #55

If I had to rank them:
    Nootbaar
    Toerner
    Capel

I believe that they would have to improve greatly in the next two seasons to be considered MLB material.
    There may be a sleeper here and the comments above seem to feel that way. Maybe two?

bccran
    Participant

I’m confused. Per TCN –

Toerner – #40 Prospect
    Capel – #48 prospect
    Nootbaar – not ranked
    Hurst – not ranked

Where are Torres and Fletcher? Too young?

Boy are we weak and shallow as far as OF prospects. Positions which represent 3 out of 8 (37.5%) of our positions on the field.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe we have little depth in the minors but our OF as it stands is 22, 25, 26 with backups of 25 and 25. They have 6, 4, 3, 5 and 6 years of control left, respectively. So it’s not like they are an old group that needs to be replaced soon.

bccran
    Participant

No, but I can’t conceive of a 5’10” 175 lbs. guy who turns 25 next month (and hasn’t played above the AA level) taking a space this Spring after slashing the following in 2019 (aggregate between the 2 levels) –

.217/.287/.299/.586

Are we that hard up in the OF?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Apparently, yes. Outfield has not been a priority in drafts of late. Luckily they should be able to make it by with the group they have, or perhaps be able to sign a free agent or make a trade after this coming year.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran asked:

Where are Torres and Fletcher? Too young?

At home. Too inexperienced rather than due to age.

Players who finished the prior season at Johnson City are not the kind invited to big league camp, now or in prior years. That is what instructional camp and minor league STEP Camp are for (when they have them).

bccran
    Participant

Guess the need catchers, so they make exceptions for short season only guys like Pages and Soto.

And factor in college experience for highly ranked college guys like Thompson, who has only 2 innings pitched in the GCL and 13.1 innings pitched at high A. Total of only 15.1 professional innings pitched.

UncleDenny
    Participant

Don’t forget. This is spring training for Memphis too as they are slated to start on time.

bccran
    Participant

Are we certain that Memphis (and there opponents) are going to be able to start on time?

bccran
    Participant

As far as experience, what about Aaron Antonini? Looks like he only has 25 games of professional experience. All at Johnson City.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Why would you invite Torres and Fletcher if they have 0 chance to make the big league roster? At least with the catchers, you understand the need because pitchers need someone to throw to. Let the young guys show up after St Louis and Memphis start and see where they are at.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran asked:

As far as experience, what about Aaron Antonini? Looks like he only has 25 games of professional experience. All at Johnson City.

bccran, given you are someone who has followed baseball for decades, I am amazed you don’t know how spring training invites work. Young catchers ALWAYS get invited because they need warm bodies with mitts. Some will get cut quickly. On the other hand, short-season pitchers, infielders and outfielders are NEVER invited.

You are trying to make something out of nothing but business as usual behavior. I would have been stunned had either of the players you cited been invited.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran asked:

Are we certain that Memphis (and there opponents) are going to be able to start on time?

How would you suggest running spring camp instead? Keeping the Triple-A players away until the last minute? Then how would they get ready? Should the Cardinals decide ahead of camp which 26 players will make the Opening Day roster and just keep everyone else at home? It’s not like they don’t know how to run an alternate camp if it gets to that.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.