2021 Cardinals MLB new Game 91 thread – Friday, July 16 vs. Giants

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB new Game 91 thread – Friday, July 16 vs. Giants

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yea the offense was great up and down but we could never get the big hits. One of the few times we got a hit with guys in scoring position, yadi was the runner at second. I still feel it’s your top guys that have to get those big hits at the big times, those are usually the guys you are expecting it from or they wouldn’t be hitting at top of lineup.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yea blingboy, that makes sense, probably why they won’t do it.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I still take positives from tonight. At least we had chances tonight. Some games we hit so poorly, we don’t even have any real chances to score.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gotta hand it to the cubbies in one respect……they realize that they are sellers and will act accordingly. I’m not sure our management team knows who they are and where they are going. It takes a big baseball man to admit he’s a seller. Mo?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mo’s stated objective is to be competitive every year. He is not going to admit failure. Besides, we have nothing to sell that will fetch anything. Well, a couple relievers would have some value to contenders.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t know what we have to sell. Maybe somebody takes on goldys contract in hopes he has a resurgence. I say we stand pat, sell if it makes some sense. We sure dont need to follow the cubs. The cubs aren’t going to win next year or the year after that. They had their one year of undeserved glory.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I see this morning we have picked up right where we left off before the break. Could anyone have imagined anything different? Oh, I know. Why don’t we scrape up some rejects from the bottom of somebody else’s barrel? I’m sure that will solve our problems.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nobody is taking on Goldy’s contract and giving us anything significant.

Besides, our back up 1B is turning into a rock star somewhere else.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

DeJong, Bader and O’Neill combine for 7 hits and a 1/3 BB/K. The rest of the team totals 4 hits and a 3/6 BB/K.

DeJong records his first 3 hit game this season.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I guess Goldy’s irrelevant homer is one of the 4 hits jj mentions.

Looking through the box score, Adam pitched decent, but giving up the 3 run homer. We still had a chance when he came out. So we then send in four relievers whose ERAs after the game are 27.00, 13.50, 9.45 and 5.60. Basically four mop up guys. Maybe a competitive team has one guy like that on their roster. If they have two, they are right now looking for a reliever for down the stretch.

It was 4-1, so if we had gotten through the 7th 4-1, then what? Would we use Reyes and Gallegos and hope the offense can come back? Or do we still throw in the towel with the mop up guys?

We can’t use just the same 2 or 3 guys every game and we can’t count on more than 5 or 6 from starters. So does Friday’s game illustrate that we do not have the personnel to take a stab at winning potentially winnable games? If we are behind by 3 after 6 are we just done?

To add insult, STL Today has an article about former Card minor league hitting coach Donnie Ecker who joined the Giants major league staff after 2019 and is given a large share of the credit for their epic offensive turn around form 29th out of 30 in 2019 to quite respectable today. He had worked with Shildt and Marmol down in A level and I guess got left behind. He went somewhere else to do AAA in 2019 and then to the Giants major league staff for 2020. I guess we thought he was the Adolis Garcia of hitting coaches.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes, the Goldy HR is the half full version of his possible “cratering” after the all-star break.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Kim is really the only guy we could potentially sell and help ourselves in the future. I don’t think anyone else that we would be willing to part with can bring back a decent return.

Thus we are likely stuck with the group we have and hope that a healthier 2022 brings better results.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

So for a glass half full look, at least the Cards weren’t the Nats last night. Nats gave up 24 runs. Padres scored in every inning except the 7th when they managed to get just two runners on base.

After that disaster, maybe the Nats will release a pitcher or two for Mo to mull over.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

After that disaster, maybe the Nats will release a pitcher or two for Mo to mull over.

For some reason I like Titanic analogies and I can’t imagine why. I imagine the S.S. Nat ramming a berg and the Captain, trying to keep the ship afloat, tosses stuff overboard, including a couple tattered deck chairs. Meanwhile, the S.S. Cards is desperately bailing as the list gets worse and worse. Down by the bow Captain Mo happens to glance over the side and spots a couple barnacle encrusted deck chairs with 3 legs. “Those would be lovely along the promenade, assuming it is not yet awash. Our two legged deck chairs are a disgrace. Lets fetch them.”

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Goldy is actually the hottest hitter we have right now. In the last month his line is .329/.418/.557/.975 with 5 HR’s and 16 RBI’s.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years