2021 Cardinals MLB Game 99 thread – Saturday, July 24 at Reds

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 99 thread – Saturday, July 24 at Reds

Viewing 12 posts - 126 through 137 (of 137 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pugs, considering that you live in the land of cheese it is only natural that you are a fan of the Bucks and Packers. How did you end up a Cards fan instead of the Brew Crew?

mspaid
    Participant

Free

Willie:

The Reds are 2 1/2 games ahead of us now, so I’m not sure how inferior they are.

rcendek@yahoo.com
    Participant

Free

ssdd

Paul7
    Participant

Free

“We beat the losers from Chicago 3 out of 4 so I’m still giddy”

Congratulations, that makes the Cardinals 5-7 against the Cubs this year.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How did you end up a Cards fan instead of the Brew Crew?

Where I grew up(Janesville), it was 95% cub fans and 5% Cardinal fans when I first started following baseball when I was 5 years old, Scotty. The Brewers had just moved to Milwaukee from Seattle. By all rights, I should have been a cubs fan, but as luck had it, my older sister’s boyfriend (still remember his name Rod Mayfield) was a rabid Cards fan and he would talk to me about the team every time we crossed paths. He gave me a shoebox full of baseball cards from the 60’s…..all St. Louis Cardinals. He even got me reading the sports page so I could follow the team and how to find KMOX on the radio dial for evening games. I owe this fellow a tremendous amount of gratitude for what he did. Sadly, Rod passed away several years ago. Thank God he wasn’t a cubbies fan. RIP Rod!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That is a great story. Much thanks to Mr. Mayfield for pointing you in the right direction.

By the way, most people here in Arkansas are very happy for Bobby Portis and what he accomplished with the Bucks.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well mspaid, where they are in the standings now doesn’t have anything to do with their inferiority. Far as you paul7, yes we are 5-7 versus the cubs but matters not at this time since we just beat those losers 3 out of 4 which makes me giddy. What makes me even more giddy is we have won far more championships and pennants than those losers.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As great as the big 3 are, the Bucks could not have won it all without Bobby Portis, Scotty. He seems like such a wonderful person too. We Buck fans would riot if the team let him get away.

mspaid
    Participant

Free

Willie:

I think where a team is in the standings may be the very definition of superior/inferior. If the Cardinals were superior to the Reds then maybe they woudn’t have lost six straight games to the Reds. If one compares them on paper I see the Reds lineup as better, the rotation is about even if Flarety (sp) is out. The Reds bullpen is bad and the Cardinals is much better even though they blew the last two games. So, I’m not seeing where this inferior thing come from. I guess if the Cardinals finish in second place then they’ll be declared superior…okay I can live with that but not as long as they’re in third place and the Reds are in second.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mspaid, I’ll give you my reasonings. It doesn’t mean they fit your reasonings or even would fit neutral reasonings but they are mine. Baseball unlike basketball or football doesn’t really change much year to year with some exceptions, it’s usually more gradual. In those sports things can change season to season for various reasons. We have pretty much dominated the reds over the last couple of decades in head to head and in standings. Far as I can remember, the 90s was the last time the reds were of any major relevance though I could be missing a season or two. This cardinal team is basically the same team it’s Ben for the last few years has beaten the reds mostly head to head and in standing. I don’t consider this reds team an up and coming team though I could be wrong and this may be the start of a reds dominance over us. But at this point I’m not willing to concede that and it will take more than one season for me to say they are superior to us. I take the long view on baseball particularly cardinal baseball. It’s why I’ll still consider the cubs losers even after winning a world series. I also am a little more passionate against certain teams because they were big rivals when I was growing up really becoming a fan, like the cubs, Mets, reds and even the Phillies though I didn’t really hate the Phillies much cause they had Mike shmidt on their team and I really liked him. For whatever reason I didn’t really hate the pirates. Those teams didn’t have any fans where I grew up and those teams never really had a sustained time of excellence. So that’s my reasoning. You may not agree with it but it’s my way

Paul7
    Participant

Free

“Far as you paul7, yes we are 5-7 versus the cubs but matters not at this time since we just beat those losers 3 out of 4 which makes me giddy. What makes me even more giddy is we have won far more championships and pennants than those losers.”

If “losers” are 7-5 against you, including a sweep, what does that make the Cardinals? The Cubs and Cardinals are two evenly matched, mediocre .500 teams. Yes, you have a great history, but it doesn’t confer some imagined superiority on you over teams with a better record, like the Reds. Maybe you’ll win the World Series in the next few years, who knows, it’s always nice to see teams win it all who haven’t done so in a while. 🙂

Although you have won an amazing number of World Series, your NL Pennant lead over us is only 19-17, and the Cubs have won 1,251 regular season games vs. 1,191 losses to you, since you brought up the ‘long view’.

Anyway, I’m here to observe, not troll. I do hope if your team does have a rough stretch in coming seasons you’ll stay away from the games, something Cub fans do not do unfortunately.

Paul7
    Participant

Free

Delete

Viewing 12 posts - 126 through 137 (of 137 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years