2021 Cardinals MLB Game 9 thread – Sunday, April 11 vs. Brewers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 9 thread – Sunday, April 11 vs. Brewers

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 116 total)
  • Author
    PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ha! 5 clams won’t get it done, Cardinal In France…… but 5 Cardinal great autographs just might.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I saw some mention earlier of Oviedo not pitching much this spring. I saw it mentioned by someone in another thread that he DID get normal work , but it was on back fields or “B” games. So he should be plenty stretched out.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A possible nice little gift as Pina misplays the Arenado pop-up behind home plate. Then Arenado walks. But DeJong cannot make the Crew pay for the 7th inning error of their ways, as he flies out to center.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I saw some mention earlier of Oviedo not pitching much this spring. I saw it mentioned by someone in another thread that he DID get normal work , but it was on back fields or “B” games. So he should be plenty stretched out.

Correct, that was me. What I meant was that it was odd that we didn’t see him in the main games. Some guys seemed to play almost entirely in the B games, for whatever reason.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Besides the pitching of Oviedo, one other bright spot today, as the cubbies got drilled in Pittsburgh 7-1. Baez accounting for the lone Chicago tally with a 2nd inning tater, as they drop 2-3 in the Steel City.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

8 walks and counting for the Cards pitchers. You won’t win a lot of games with that kind of wildness.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Oh goody – Webb. I guess they’ve surrendered the game.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well gang….I went 5 innings strong….no, not exactly “strong” PBP frames, but would 5 “adequate” innings adequately sum things up today? I’ll get better as the season moves along….may God be my judge I will.
    We have two more shots(innings) at these guys today…..not over yet.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cards go down meekly in the 8th. Are 5 runs in the bottom half of this upcoming inning too much to ask?

bccran
    Participant

Opening home series after no fans for 17 months.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Manny Pina tattoos a Genesis Cabrera offering off the left field facade with a mate aboard and that just may put things out of reach for the Cards, as they now look up at a 6 run deficit.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Goldy pops out to the Brewer 2nd baseman, Peterson, and it’s 9-3 Milwaukee your unhappy final, as the Crew leave town taking 2-3 games from their Central Divisional rival.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Say what you will about the offense, but the pitching has been the real let down for the most part this year. Against the teams not named the Marlins, the staff has given up 6, 9, 12, 1, 9 and 9 runs in the other 6 games. The pitching staff really needs to pick it up or it won’t matter if the offense ever gets it into gear.

bccran
    Participant

That’s why you need a good offense. To pick up the pitching when needed.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There’s absolutely no way that any offense can consistently pick up a staff that’s allowing almost 8 runs a game.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We may never win again.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Btw the Cards were 10th in the league in runs per game coming into today. Despite that they were 2-3 in non Miami games. Is top 3rd in the league good or are we dealing with shifting goalposts here too?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Oviedo post game:

Last year threw FB/SL. Worked on CB/CU in Tampa after winter ball and in spring.

Shildt post game:

Oviedo huge for today, kept them in game, but also for days ahead (protecting the pen). Today gave them more confidence than they already had in him starting. Planning to add a sixth starter before the All-Star break to keep all starters on five days rest. B Games in spring allowed him to work on other pitchers and here we are. Taking next step.

Had Oviedo up in the first inning for Ponce, who is a tightrope pitcher. Deep counts, long innings. Not his sharpest outing today.

Not sustainable to have more relief innings than starting innings. Need starters to go deeper so relievers can be used as desired, not based on rest (who is available).

Dean ball in the first looks like he drifted back and ball kind of played him a bit. On baserunning mistake in the sixth, have to make sure ball is over pitchers head. Can’t run into out at home. Can’t make those kinds of mistakes.

On Carpenter 390′ out, literally scratching my head over the madness. So many hard hit balls not being rewarded. Doing everything right and getting no result. Saving up for beautiful harvest. Will reap what is being sowed. Game is not that cruel.

Hicks had a perfect storm to allow an up and down. Three days off, 9 pitches first inning. Plan was to go 25 pitches. He needs to be able to handle up and down.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

after 9 games, 43 RS (4.78 RS/G avg), 49 RA (5.44 RA/G avg)
    Our pythag W/L is not as good as our actual record.

Down 4-0, before we came to bat on the day, our win expectancy was 17.2%, so much for keeping us in the game. Down 7-0, before we hit in the 2nd, a 4.2% chance of winning.

The Austin Dean double brought us up to 20.3% chance of a win, and it was all down hill from there.

Back to back 9 runs allowed games. Ha! If you need to score ten, you probably won’t win.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Bad weekend all around. Cards outscored 19-11 in dropping 2 of 3 to division foe Milwaukee.

Meanwhile, Luke Weaver goes 7 innings, giving up 1 hit, striking out 8 and walking 1 – this against mighty Cincinnati no less.

Carson Kelly is hitting .467 (only 15 ABs)

Randy Arozarena is hitting .333 with a 140 OPS+

Sandy Alcantara has a .833 WHIP and 17 Ks in 12 innings of work.

Small samples and one bad weekend does not a season make, but the results are disheartening. St. Louis has been blown out of the water in their two series against divisional opponents, and 3-0 against Miami.

Very early returns say this club badly needs starting pitching, and could use a more consistent hitter from an outfield position or possibly shortstop.

Maybe the pitching help is named Kim and Mikolas. Hopefully the hitting help is also on the roster.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

We need our rotation to be Flaherty, Wainwright, Oviedo, Martinez and Gant until Kim comes back. Kim becomes a starter with, probably, Gant leaving the rotation.

Oviedo is a keeper, IMO. Only trade him if we can get more than he is really worth in return.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We like to get carried away with our prospects, I get that. But one in a row might be a little too soon to say he’s a keeper. His most notable attribute is that he keeps it in the park. Which I like. Nothing else jumps off the page.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

bling, it is not based on 1 outing. He has shown me what he is worth over the last 2 years. He looks to me like he would be head and shoulders above what we could get from either Ponce de Leon or Gant. He just turned 23 and is one of the big bonus Cubans from 2016-2017 signing class. He has been willing to work on his pitches and make adjustments. He has been about 2 years younger than average at every level, so far. The main thing he needs to do is work on his command.

bccran
    Participant

Rick singer

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well OK forsch, I am happy to take your word for it and hope you are right. My thinking is he is a AA pitcher who skipped AAA and got a cuppa due to the quirky 2020 season. Rather like Carlson is on the position player side. In both cases we will have to see what happens once opponents have had a good look.

I do wonder how international guys like him are going to work their way up now without the short season levels.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 116 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years