2021 Cardinals MLB Game 89 thread – Friday, July 9 at Cubs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 89 thread – Friday, July 9 at Cubs

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1:20 p.m.
    LHP Wade LeBlanc (0-0, 2.16) vs. Kyle Hendricks (10-4, 3.83)
    BSM // KMOX
    Also BSSW+ in Oklahoma and Arkansas and BSSO in TN, KY and MS

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Just one win – ONE – that is all I am hoping for in this series. We’ve already been swept before at Wrigley this year and the Cubs are really struggling. One win cant be too much to ask for, can it???

Wade LeBlanc – maybe we should just bring John Tudor out of retirement and let him pitch..:)

r/Esteemed Rat

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Tudor could probably still get us a couple of outs….

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Reminds me of a thought I’ve had ever since I was a kid. The day before (Monday) the all-star game, all teams have an old timers game. The same teams would play each other each year.
    Rivals(Cards-cubs, Yanks-BoSox, Rangers-Astros, Dodgers-Giants etc.) pitted vs each other in alternating parks. To qualify as an old timer for these games, you have to had been retired for at least 15 years. You can only play for the team who you spent the most of your career with. So Ted Simmons could not have played for Milwaukee in this old timers game, only St. Louis. Now get this…..this game would count in the standings for the regular team. Just think how fun and how popular this yearly game would be.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nice Pugs. Some guy who retired at 25 because he stunk could be the star.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nobody eligible under 50, Bling.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Interesting, Pugs. How about inter-league old timers games for rivals? You could pit the Royals against the Cards. I bet Donald Denkinger would ump.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I love Mike Shannon’s recollection of a Bob Gibson memory. He said in Gibsons last game Pete Lacock hit a grand slam off of him. Flash forward years later in an old timers game in which Gibson plunked Lacock on the first pitch.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s the Cards turn versus a very average Cubs team.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

C27, good Shannon/Gibby story. I hadn’t heard that one.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Another great story was when Shannon interviewed Pete Rose. Pete Rose and others went to Japan for exhibition games. Well, the Japanese baseball flew further than that of American baseballs at the time. So Rose brought a bunch of Japanese baseballs back for our All Star game. He somehow had them used when the National league took batting practice, but the American League unknowingly, couldn’t use them. So the NL was bombing practice balls into the upper deck, while the AL was only occasionally clearing the wall. Talk about a psyche job!!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Oviedo was sent down to Memphis as he is not needed to start until after the break. Not clear yet who is coming up for the weekend series in Chicago.

bccran
    Participant

Wonder how man guys would get injured in an old timers game. A far cry from seniors golf.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Setting the unfortunate current circumstances aside, it’s easy to get hyped up for a Cubs-Cards series.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sweet idea with giving we Cardinal fans another chance to “deal” with Mr. Denkinger, Euro Dandy. Having an old timers game as I described, would result in many of these old players getting into both an improved mental and physical state. It would allow we fans an opportunity to keep in touch with our baseball heroes from years gone past. And it would put mucho dinero into the pockets of owners, along with many others. If you’re presently near a corn field, turn down any and all distractions and bend your ear to the hushed words…..”Make the game count…..make the game count”. In reference to making the yearly old timers game count in the standings.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I guess we will see Patrick Wisdom at 3B for the Chubs. His OPS+ is 157 by the way.

In case anyone was wondering, Nogoski has been in the starting lineup in 3 games for the Pirates. 7 hits and 2 walks in 14 PAs for a BA .583 and OBP .643, 1 RBI and 3 runs scored.

His 2019 line in Memphis .295/.413 with 69 walks against 54 strike outs, 77 runs scored and 75 RBI in 117 games, so no surprise at all if he rakes as a regular. It used to be said ‘if a guy can hit they will find a position for him’. I think now the thinking is more ‘trust the computers and do whatever it says on the printout’.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

It’s the Cards turn versus a very average Cubs team.

Brad Miller took some turns against the cubs last night. In fact, he took 9 left turns……as in 3 HRs.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

From what I understand the Cubs starter today is Hendricks. It seems like every time we play them in Wrigley on a Friday afternoon he is the starter and he throws 8 shutout innings on 80 pitches. Hopefully today is different.

The Cubs are 1-11 in their last 12 games and are on the verge of cleaning house. We aren’t going to let them beat up on us again are we?

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The Cubs are now 1-12 in their last 13 games. Again, I am hoping for just one win this series. If we get swept this time around that will be bad. Very bad.

And just wondering if anyone saw the Reds/Brewers game last night. The homeplate umpire was Brian O’Nora and he was terrible. He made Angel Hernandez look good last night. He was calling pitches off the plate all night long for strikes. The Reds announcers were talking about it all during the game. Winker got called out with two outs in the 9th on a 3-2 pitch that was clearly off the plate. I am not sure how the players from both teams tolerated it.

r/Esteemed Rat

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Our Birds venture into Wrigley. What can we hope for? The Baby Bears are doing a nosedive but we are not exactly giving anybody baseball lessons. If I were not a cradle-to-grave do-or-die Cards fan I would not even bother to watch this game. We’re not going to win anything significant this season anyway. But I can’t help it. I just can’t help it. This is the Cubs we are talking about. I want to win! I want to throttle those North-siders! Rah Cardinals!

As for tonight’s din-din, I’m sure those of you who spent any time in the Army recall the much-reviled SOS, the bane of many a breakfast (I was among the rare few who actually liked the stuff). Well, it turns out my grand kids actually love it and have stuffed my dinner suggestion ballot box with requests. Unlike the Army version, my SOS is not slopped over slices of cold toast, rather it is ladled onto fresh hot homemade baking powder biscuits. Yum! What’s more, once you’ve had your fill of beef and gravy, you can take any remaining biscuits and slather them with butter and CiF’s famous homemade apple butter for dessert. MMMM!

Once again, Rah Cardinals!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Chubs lineup

1. Willson Contreras (R) C
    2. Anthony Rizzo (L) 1B
    3. Patrick Wisdom (R) 3B
    4. Jake Marisnick (R) CF
    5. Joc Pederson (L) LF
    6. Nico Hoerner (R) 2B
    7. Jason Heyward (L) RF
    8. Sergio Alcantara (S) SS
    9. Kyle Hendricks (R) P

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Dylan Carlson (S) RF
    2. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    3. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B
    4. Tyler O’Neill (R) LF
    5. Yadier Molina (R) C
    6. Tommy Edman (S) 2B
    7. Harrison Bader (R) CF
    8. Edmundo Sosa (R) SS
    9. Wade LeBlanc (L) P

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes we have a big ballgame today, but I can’t help thinking of something…… something bigger than baseball…..just imagine Cardinal In France with his own top rated cooking show…..the possibilities are endless….shot straight from the south of France with Cardinal In France’s loyal little ankle biter always at his feet wherever he may roam in the kitchen…..CIF always decked out in Cardinal red with Cards cap, batting gloves on when opening the oven, complete with gobs of that eye black stuff under both eyes…

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I was about to leave for the golf course and I checked the score.

3-0 Cubs after the 1st inning.

Have no idea how they got those runs.

Face it folks, another sweep at the hands of the hapless Cubs is on the way.

r/Esteemed Rat

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years