2021 Cardinals MLB Game 59 thread – Saturday, June 5 vs. Reds

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 59 thread – Saturday, June 5 vs. Reds

Viewing 11 posts - 101 through 111 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    1982 willie
    Participant

Funny thing was bader was doing great til he got moved up in the order,another one of those stupid schildt moves. If you have a player that has struggled, but finally gets on a roll and is doing the right things, you don’t change anything. People getting hurt and new people coming in doesn’t excuse it.

Steve60
    Participant

Free

I know people on here want HB to succeed, no one more than me! But since 2018 (when he batted 264, which is great) he 111 for 526 the last 3 years 211 avg! To me that suggests that he is not likely to hit over 250 for 500 at bats again! So in a way Forcsh is right, he is. It underachieving he is doing exactly what he should do based on his last 500 at bats! So the question you are left with is, is a great fielding CF who hits around 220 gonna be good enough! For me the long term answer is no, but I also say right now he is the best option we have and in center and him being back in the lineup helps push Carpenter to the bench and that MUST happen for this team to progress!

bccran
    Participant

The best option we have is to keep Carlson in center and get a good left handed bat for RF.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Steve60,
    Remember now, batting average doesnt mean anything anymore. Just ask everybody. What’s important is his BIRDR and his BADIT and his URZ and his DODL. As long as they are good that’s all that matters.

bccran
    Participant

Ratsbuddy – I prefer the metrics UZON, ABRT, and LATS.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Steve60 said:
    “So the question is, is a great fielding CF’r, who hits around .220, going to be good enough?”

Is another outfielder high on your wish list this coming trade deadline? Would pitching help rate higher? There are only X amount of funds available.

To get a Bader type outfielder cost 2/24mil last offseason. That was JBJ contract, and I prefer Bader of the two. Take a look at their careers, see who you prefer.

My answer is yes, Baders’ good enough while he’s in his cheap Arb years. We have greater pitching staff needs.

bccran
    Participant

We have Libby, Thompson, Oviedo, Rondon, etc. coming on. We don’t have much at all in the OF coming on.

1982 willie
    Participant

Carlson is horrible in center field. That isn’t an option unless you like giving games away. But if you do, then ok. Well horrible isn’t the right word. I’ll say he’s serviceable, like Williams is in right or left.

Steve60
    Participant

Free

Rat, lol exactly! When I started watching baseball if you were batting 211 and someone said you were good they would look at you like you were the village idiot! Times change I guess but it (BA) still means a great deal to us over the hill gang!

Steve60
    Participant

Free

JJ-cf-Stl
    I think they are about the same jbj and HB! I would prefer neither but might take Bader because of youth or might take JBJ because of playoff experience but I think they are basically at this point in their careers the same player! I would much prefer a good starting pitcher also and did not mean to indicate otherwise! I think my point was HB is what he is! Take it or leave it!

bccran
    Participant

Carlson’s a good CFer. Has played it at every level coming through the system.

Viewing 11 posts - 101 through 111 (of 111 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.