2021 Cardinals MLB Game 18 thread – Wed, April 21 at Nationals

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 18 thread – Wed, April 21 at Nationals

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t like that Sosa hasn’t been given but 1 start. And he is slick defensively unlike Carp. And if Sosa has one 3 strikeout game like Carp has had he wouldn’t play for a month. Schildt is reminding me more of Matheny in that regards.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Shildt has been acting Matheny-like with his lineups and batting orders.

What was up with Goldschmidt?? Two pitches right down the middle, and one a little in but a strike and he does not swing at any of them! Must not be picking up the ball in the light-and-shadow deal.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My guess is that when Bader and O’Neill return Edman will stay on the infield where he belongs.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

CMart surely hasn’t had the best defense behind him.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I think we are seeing this kid Williams come of age. Lou Brock said his whole attitude turned around when he made a catch of a drive against the ivy in Wrigley only a few weeks before the trade, and it was then he knew he belonged.

We may have a gem in Justin Williams.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Looks like the bullpen might get a rest this series. Now, if we can just score some runs.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe it’s just been when I have been watching, but Goldschmidt and Arenado haven’t been up with a lot of baserunners on.

1982 willie
    Participant

Well a pitching duel today which is fine. Wasn’t good to see carp hitting where he is, what are they thinking. Of course he shouldn’t be in the lineup anyway but oh well. Far as carlson batting second, I haven’t seen anything that tells me he should move up. He hasn’t been horrible but he hasn’t lit the world on fire either.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Great job, Carlos!! Now let’s get to their bullpen.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Carlos a good day. Holiday on the mound time to get the bats going.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You have to believe we have them just where we wanted them. I like our chances, even though we’re down a tally heading to the Nats bottom of the 7th.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Very good outing by Helsley. Does he come back to pitch to a batter or 2 in the 8th? Hope we have a l=ad.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

No shivers today for Carlos, Well done.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Come on Carp!! Maybe jump on the first pitch?

1982 willie
    Participant

Carps even lost that bases loaded magic.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Man I tell ya, something is wrong with Goldy. He just is not picking up the ball. His numbers are way down, and he looks lost at the plate. He is not real aggressive on balls in the zone, then sort of half swings at pitches on the outer half.

Carpenter squared one up, but right at the right fielder. Tough break.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

How was Carpenter’s AB there? My initial thought is that Schildt should have had Carpenter batting 7th or 8th (or not at all). Maybe we could have put a tally on the board. It’s time for Sosa to get more starts.

EDIT: BikeMike, you posted while I was typing.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This offense is hard to watch.

I guess it bucks traditional thinking, but …

Why didn’t Shildt have Kizner bunt the tying run to second? He would have two chances at driving in the tying run versus risking the runner getting doubled off with the catcher hitting.

Also, hIw much longer can Schildt continue to run Carp out there when he hitting under .100? Carp is just not producing and hasn’t going on a third season.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, after no one run games til last night, the Cards got a couple. They happened to come out on the wrong side against a wretched team minus their best player. If the Cubs win tonight we are in last place.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Another series loss. This one is real tough losing 3-2 and 1-0. A very inconsistent team we have right now.

I keep saying this, but Shidlt needs to adjust the batting order. He keeps having Carpenter hit 6th, when he is at .081 right now with a ton of strikeouts. He will drive a ball once a game, but that is not enough to warrant him up in the order.

And the other thing I keep saying is Goldy is messed up. I would drop him down to 4 in the order, and see what happens. You might give him a couple of days off and put Nogowski out there just to change things. Then bring him back in the 4 slot.

DeJong looks better since he had a day off. But maybe you put Sosa at second and drop Carp out of there.

O’Neill will be back this weekend, so maybe he can get something going. I keep waiting for him to adjust and see his career take off, but it has not happened. Maybe it won’t. He’s got this year to do something, or he will be elsewhere later in the season or next year.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This offense is hard to watch.

What offense, 1964Cards? We were in perfect position. Down only one run with 3 frames to go vs the Nats pen. Carlos was wonderful. Good teams win these games if you were the visitors today. I know it’s early, but last place is never an attractive place to be.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Pugs? None of the waitresses at the Gasthof (Amish restaurant) slapped me in the face today. But I did end up with the one waitress that doesnt like me. She’s never liked me. Disliked me for decades. But I guess we have to tolerate each other while I am there. So, you were somewhat close………..

And does anyone suspect that the offense, especially Goldschmidt and Avocado, will pick it up once the weather warms up? Sure hope so.

No late games to watch tonight so looks like an episode of Perry Mason will be on the tube late tonight. And not to worry, Whitey Herdog will be on the couch watching with me while I have a big cigar.

r/Esteemed Rat

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

bikemike:

I think we are seeing this kid Williams come of age.

I do hope so, but Williams, like others, are mostly fattening up against the dregs. We need to be able to get some offense going against something besides the tail end of rotations.

This thing of absolutely never playing Sosa is getting stupid. Not that I think he is the savior, but Carp really does stink this year, however much he barrels and launch angles or whatever all that blather is about.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Yes, to Pugs’ point, that old saying of “You win a third, you lose a third. It’s what you do in that other third that makes or breaks your season”.

The Cardinals are not winning the games they have a shot in. It’s early and things could look a lot different by Memorial Day, or the All Star break. I still remember 1973. We were something like 6-20 to start the season, and had sneaked into first place at the break.

CarolinaCardinal
    Participant

I would say fire Jeff Albert into the moon, but he ain’t exactly dealing with a glutton of big leaguers.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years