2021 Cardinals MLB Game 18 thread – Wed, April 21 at Nationals

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 18 thread – Wed, April 21 at Nationals

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

3:05 p.m.
    RHP Carlos Martínez (0-3, 7.80) vs. RHP Max Scherzer (0-1, 2.37)
    BSM // KMOX

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

So O’Neill is eligible to come off the IL on Wednesday, so maybe Friday it will happen, as we all know. Who goes out? Nogo? Dean? Does Carp develop an owie?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nogowski has not been hitting at all, so I’d think he will be going. Dean has seemed to be the preferred pinch hitter.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In the article on the home page, my guess was Hurst. But whatever the transaction will be, it will not be effective until Friday.

1982 willie
    Participant

I would say hurst. Nogowski has struggled as a pinch hitter but I feel for him cause he hasn’t really gotten any starts to build some at bats like some others. Sure since he’s limited in where he can play I understand but he could have started at first that one game goldy sat.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Very close to 100% it will be Hurst.

On paper today’s game looks like a slam dunk for the Nats. This is when strange things happen because you actually have to play the game.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If the Carlos who shut down the Phillies over his last 3+ innings shows up, we’ve got a shot. If the Carlos who got shelled early in that game does, 8-10 here we come. For some reason the Cards have done better this year against guys with better stuff, so maybe they can break through a little off Max.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

By the way I figured out a work around to watch the games, at least in my circumstance. Even though my local cable affiliate is only showing a partial Cardinal schedule this year I downloaded the FOX Go app onto my Apple TV and found Bally Sports Midwest. I used my username and password that I use with my cable affiliate and boom the game came right on.

I know that won’t work for everyone but it might help a few.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Can somebody explain to me why the DBacks and Reds game was suspended in the 8th inning yesterday due to rain? Why wasnt it a rainout?

Is it because the Reds led 4-3 after the most recently completed inning (7th) and the DBacks had scored twice in the top of the 8th to take a 5-4 lead? Plus they had the bases loaded and one out.

r/Esteemed Rat

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Having to face Goldschmidt and Arenado in the first inning hasnt exactly terrified the opposing pitchers much this year. Shildt needs a new lineup.

r/Esteemed Rat

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Gonna be a tough matchup today but you never know how baseball goes. Hopefully they make last night’s loss a distant memory.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We really need to get Goldy going. If he’s one of the best batters on the team, hit him 2nd. But if he continues to struggle, I’d rather see Carlson there and move Goldy down to 4th or 5th for a bit.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is not one of my patented 5 star games, where if you take my advice, you have a 97% probability of taking home the bacon. This is simply a game that I would wager on, thus giving you a healthy 82% shot at victory. Don’t bet the ranch, but certainly wager your herd on a St. Louis Cardinal victory today in our nation’s capitol.

What’s on tap for Din-Din? Three poached eggs sprinkled heartily with butter, over two pieces of white toast, sausage patties and a steaming cup of hot Jo.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Din-din today is my weekly trip to the Gasthof, the Amish restaurant. Fried chicken, fish, meatloaf, mashed potatoes/gravy, green beans, dressing, noodles, baked carrots, and sweet potatoes (maybe). Plus some cherry cobbler or Apple stuff for dessert and then some soft-serve ice cream – chocolate or vanilla.

And can somebody answer my question above about the Arizona/Cincinnati game?

r/Esteemed Rat

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Tommy Edman (S) RF

2. P. Goldschmidt (R) 1B

3. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B

4. Paul DeJong (R) SS

5. Dylan Carlson (S) CF

6. Matt Carpenter (L) 2B

7. J. Williams (L) LF

8. Andrew Knizner (R) C

9. C. Martinez (R) P

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I also want Carlson in the 2 hole, him in the 5 hole to me puts MORE pressure on him to hit for power as opposed to use his great skills to get on, he seems power happy and i get it…he has good power, but i think we want more people on in front of our 2 big guns

Today on paper looks like a shutout at best, flirting with a no hitter or 3 or under hit fest. 6 7 8 9 is almost half the lineup and ABs for the game…and they are not imposing in the slightest right now, so that is basically half the game as relatively easy for perhaps the best pitcher of this generation to face

I want so bad to be wrong, and see Justin turn on Max and Knizner show us his bat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You worry too much, Jags. If Pugs says bet the herd, you bet the herd. “The best pitcher of this generation” may pitch well today….but not well enough to defeat the The St. Louis Cardinals on this fine Wednesday afternoon.

RatsBuddy? That din-din you have lined up today at the famed Gasthof(not related to the Gashouse Gang) is fit for a king. Watch what you say to those waitresses though, as that’s my second prediction on the day…..that a waitress will attempt to slap the face of our dear friend, RatsBuddy, today.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

Can somebody explain to me why the DBacks and Reds game was suspended in the 8th inning yesterday due to rain? Why wasnt it a rainout?

Here is the straight skinny from MLB.
    Basically since 2008, playoff games that were killed by rain in the 4th inning, or later, like even a drizzle in the 7th of a 6-2 ballgame, were ‘suspended’ with all gameplay preserved, rather than rained out or finished early.

In 2020 this playoff feature was added to the regular season (in some circumstances)

Rainouts and suspensions

The most frequent cause of a suspended game is when a regulation game is terminated due to weather, and the game is either tied or in the midst of an inning in which the visiting team has taken the lead

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Gosh Rats, how do you get all that stuff on your plate? Ya gotta be hungry to go to the Gasthof I guess. Din-Din was rather light here tonight – fresh asparagus splashed with vinaigrette followed by a spinach and Boursin cheese quiche and a green salad. I’m having a chocolate sundae right now as I read y’all’s posts.

I’m not quite as optimistic as Pugs. Carlos gives me a case of the shivers and Carp in the lineup does not inspire confidence these days. However I am looking forward to watching Knizner play a full game.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree that Carlson should bat second.

I would go with :

1. Edman RF
    2. Carlson CF
    3. Arenado 3B
    4. Goldy 1B
    5. Molina C
    6. DeJong SS
    7. Williams LF
    8. Carp 2B
    9. P

Now when O’Neill and Bader return Edman should go back to 2B, Carlson to RF, and Carp to the bench.

Steve60
    Participant

Free

I don’t think I would ever put a line up out there with Carpenter in the starting line up at this point! I feel sad for him when he comes up!

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Sad indeed.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carp strikes out, but his exit velocity and barrel rate on the foul balls were awesome!!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think I would ever put a line up out there with Carpenter in the starting line up at this point!

I am not really in favor it either but until Bader or O’Neill return the only other options are Dean and Sosa. I like those guys but they aren’t everyday players either.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years