2021 Cardinals MLB Game 156 thread – Sunday, September 26 at Cubs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 156 thread – Sunday, September 26 at Cubs

Viewing 9 posts - 101 through 109 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

If arenado had been in normal third base position it would have been his play but he was way over toward shortstop because of the shift.

willie, check this play again. Arenado was positioned pretty closely to the 3B line for this play.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Thanks stlcard25. Looking forward to seeing it posted time and again the rest of the way!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree that Knizner screwed that play up. If you go back and watch the video you will see that he didn’t move an inch for a couple of seconds after the ball went up in the air. By the time he started moving it was too late. I don’t know if he didn’t see the ball or what. Having said that Arenado would probably tell you that he should have caught the ball.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

A good bet might be the Wrigley wind played tricks with everybody. How many times has Arenado fallen down trying to catch a pop before?

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

All I have to say about Sunday (apart from Rah Cardinals, of course) is that it’s a good thing Gallegos is not a starter or games would be seven hours long. I’ve got time between pitches to go make a cup of coffee and come back.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

CIF thats funny. I guess he has to “think” the ball over the plate. Just like how Carp has to “stare” the pitch into being a ball to get the walk!

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The way Gallegos pitches is somewhat reminiscent of Tracy Stallard who pitched for the Cardinals for a couple of years in the mid-sixties. He would give the radio announcers a fit as they worked to fill in so much time between pitches. It was almost painful to keep track of what was going on in the game when Stallard was pitching. Tracy Stallard’s claim to fame is that Roger Maris hit his 61rst home run off of him in 1961.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Euro dandy, you are completely right, don’t know what I was seeing. He was about 15 to 20 feet behind third. He was still a lot further away than knizner. While typically I think the third baseman should still get in since he’s coming in, the catcher can’t take that for granted and still has to be there if something happens like someone falling down. Personally I think yadi takes charge of that right away. I read the explanation from the umpires and I agree with them. Guys left bags cause they thought they were out or game was over. So a dead all was called. In the end the problem was the cardinal players. If they had realized it should be an infield fly, then the player throwing to third should have yelled tag just like a first baseman is supposed to do when they step on first after fielding a grounder and throwing to second. It let’s the player know they have to tag the runner there. In the end, the players got confused and didn’t realize the infield fly was called or didn’t realize the baserunning situation because of it

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I read today that the home plate ump (Bill Miller I believe) gave an explanation for the screw up. He said the 2B ump didn’t know infield fly rule had been called. That’s why he made a mess of things. That could’ve very well been Edman’s and DeJong’s reason also. The 3B ump called the infield fly very late, probably contributing to the confusion, but I guess he was late because Arenado and Knizner were late getting to the ball. Glad Gallegos settled things with the game-ending K.

Viewing 9 posts - 101 through 109 (of 109 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years