2021 Cardinals MLB Game 149 thread – Monday, Sept 20 at Brewers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 149 thread – Monday, Sept 20 at Brewers

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Peralta was pretty nasty that inning. Lester needs to start matching.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Peraltas got his curve working now. Must have alot if movement on the ball. Fastballs at 90, sliders around 85 curves at 75 according to Gameday. Lesters doing good too- hitting the edges. Neither of their dingers were center of plate. Yadi can hit czrves but hes thrown him sliders so far. Guess he knows that too.

Tscurlo
    Participant

Free

Please forgive my ignorance about pitching…. but does the pitcher have to come set
    before he pitch’s?

Or is that only if there is a runner on base… do you have to do that?

I notice that Peralta’s leg is always fidgety all the way up to throwing his pitch and
    he never comes set before throwing.

Educate me folks!!!

(Disclaimer: I grew up playing Basketball and didn’t really get into baseball until my later years, so I don’t know the fundamentals and rules of baseball that much. I am learning. 🙂 )

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Check out rule 5.07 a 2 MLB rules- just giogkwd it. Short answer is yes- he has to come set. Runners or not. A quick pitch to decieve the batter is also a violation and called a ball. Some motions can result in balk. Check the rules for pitchers Tuscurio

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nice work there by Yadi to get O’Neill in for the 3-2 lead.

Tscurlo
    Participant

Free

Thanks Wooster…. will check it out.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Yadi rbi- Runners hangin’ out on bases- I’m liking it!

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Cards get another run, up 3-2 heading to the 7th.

Tscurlo, pitchers can use two different types of deliveries, set and windup. Many pitchers windup when bases are empty and come set with runners on to prevent stolen bases.

With a set delivery, they stretch first to get signs (ball in one hand), then bring ball and both hands together to a set position. With runners on, they must come to a complete stop (has to be a discernible stop to the ump). If they don’t, it is a balk and runners advance a base. When they windup, they don’t come to a “set” position.

Peralta comes to a complete stop when runners are on base. His delivery is very quirky when the bases are empty. It is not a windup, and as Tscurlo noted, he sometimes doesn’t come to a compete stop. However, it’s not a balk because nobody is on base.

Wooster, as you noted pitchers can’t quick pitch to fool the batter regardless of delivery method. Obviously the umps do not view Peralta’s quirky delivery in the “set” position (with no runners on base) as a way to fool the batter.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Far as the pitcher coming set with no runners on, it’s hardly ever called in major leagues. They tend to give guys more leeway there so they aren’t going to make a guy completely still especially if it’s his normal routine.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carpenter is hot. Big time hit there by carp leading off. Lester did a great job tonight. Hopefully we can get him some more runs here. Edman gets carp to third here with less than two outs. Goldy needs to get him in.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good job goldy. Terrible throw by outfielder though.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Cards need 9 drama-free outs from their pen. Score 4-2.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Shildt’s patience with Marp is finally paying off. Maybe he’ll go 7-12 with a couple doubles and HRs in the last couple weeks here.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Carp lead off double-Edman moves him over Goldy brings him in. Yeah Baby!

Wooster
    Participant

Free

I knew Carp was gonna’ be our secret weapon!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

High leverage situation for Whitley. He has earned it with his good performances of late. Hopefully it continues tonight.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Great inning by whitley

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Whitley with a boring 9-pitch 7th, just what the Cards needed.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Whitley, when he’s on, is Mr No Drama in the pen. 9 pitches and three outs. Great stuff.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Suter is one of those pitchers who pitches quick. Have to be ready to hit when you step in box.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Free

Can we please see Whitley back out for the 8th???

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Molina drives in Arenado with a single. Score 5-2.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Can we please see Whitley back out for the 8th???

You can do that?

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That was a heck.ofva change up by whitley

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 87 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years