2021 Cardinals MLB Game 126 thread – Sunday, August 29 at Pirates

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 126 thread – Sunday, August 29 at Pirates

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Can you imagine the return we could have reeled in at the trading deadline in exchange for the services of Alexander Reyes. It would have been quite hefty, but who knew he was going to go headfirst into the tank like he has this month? Only one man on this planet knew this was coming…….would you like to take a bow, RatsBuddy? If you know Rat the way I do, you’d know that he’s in too foul of a mood to claim any accolades after this brutal defeat.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Cardinal in France wrote……”Well, we don’t have to look far for the culprit.”

THE CULPRIT IS THE IDIOT MANAGER THAT KEEPS RUNNING HIM OUT THERE WHEN IT’S A DOOMSDAY SCENARIO EACH AND EVERY TIME HE TAKES THE MOUND!!!!!

r/Esteemed Rat

David
    Participant

Free

Question: How many chances can a manager give one player? Oh right… Answer… Mike Shildt. This team does not deserve to be in the playoffs and For the future of the team… this team should not be in the playoffs because then the credit would go to Shildt and I really don’t feel like suffering through another year watching Shildt manage in late game situations. He’s pretty much useless after 1st time thru the line up

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How do we have so many guys pitching at the major league level that have no clue how to throw strikes? Does Maddux get paid to fix these kind of things?

Our talent scouts and evaluators have had their nose glued to the radar gun for the last 6 or 8 years, that’s how. They light up the gun and get low level hitters out so they advance. By the time some straggle into Memphis they don’t look so good but they are all we have. There is little Maddux can do.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

AS SOON AS HE THREW THE FIRST PITCH FOR A BALL I STARTED YELLING AT THE SCREEN

Whitey Herdog even came out from under the blanket and looked at me to see what was going on.

I’m sure it’s not the first time Rat’s pooch has been subjected to this sort of verbal barrage from his owner. Rat must have really come unglued this time to startle his pup.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

MLB hitters can hit the hard stuff if it is over the plate. Unless they don’t know its coming. Which means if a guy does not have effective secondary pitches he is of little use on an MLB roster. It seems like it took everyone half a season to figure Reyes out, but they have. The one trick pony types have no answer to that. Hope they swing at pitches off the plate like the A ballers did, and if they don’t, throw it over and duck.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

The worm has turned.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The ninth inning has gotten to where you need to have another guy besides Reyes ready. If Alex walks the lead off guy, you have a short leash with him.

Having Cabrera ready would have been wise, despite his blow up earlier in the series. That was just weird and seems to be an anomaly, although we will know more the next time he pitches.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Sigh he still is one of the top guys in the league with save %…..but according to some Knowledgeable fans on this board he should be cut right now…..

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Ugh. Just saw what happened.

Brutal.

Well, it is what it is.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nobody had seen much of Reyes since 2016, 5 years ago. So most people had not seen him at all. It took the first half of the season to get him figured out. Now if he throws it over the plate he gets lit. He needs to go back down and try to learn how to do something else to get guys out.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Had family day today so didn’t get to watch. Disappointing end. I’m not on the train of getting rid of Reyes but I am on the train of trying something different in the 9th. Right now the same things keep popping up so it doesn’t hurt to switch things up now and again. Schildt has such a hard time with change though maybe there is some decisions being made for him I’m not aware of. When you split with a team like the pirates, it’s almost like you got swept. I’m also like some posters, this team really doesn’t deserve to make playoffs and making them would probably hurt the team more actually. But I’ll keep watching til the season ends to see how it turns out

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We are a long way from the 7-8,000 gates they just saw in Pit.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I NEVER said we should get rid of Reyes. But we cannot afford to have him in the game in the 9th inning if it’s close.

Is there any reason why he can’t go down to Memphis and try and figure out his control problem? Jeepers creepers folks, he has now walked 44 batters in 58 innings!!!!!

r/Esteemed Rat

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is there any reason why he can’t go down to Memphis

Maybe he is still better than whoever would come up from Memphis if he went down.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In 2017 Alex Reyes was ranked as the 6th best prospect in baseball by MLB.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Rats posted:

I NEVER said we should get rid of Reyes.

Rats on August 18

“Either way, Reyes has to go. He cannot be depended on.”

https://thecardinalnation.com/forums/topic/2021-cardinals-mlb-game-116-thread-wednesday-august-18-vs-brewers/page/3/#post-170139

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Has to go as the closer. I didnt say he should be traded. We cannot afford to have him in the game in the 9th inning with the game on the line. Or the 7th or 8th inning for that matter. Or for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th innings either. Not until he can throw the ball over the plate.

r/Esteemed Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Does that mean we can use Reyes in extra innings only, Rat?

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If you don’t want to use a pitcher in any innings, you are basically saying get rid of him. I understand the emotion, I just think that there is good there that can be had. Like I said, use him differently, not always as closer. Get him some positive innings in a row hopefully and then maybe he can go back to it.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

I blame China for this.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Rats, didn’t Reyes throw that last pitch over the plate?

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

It ain’t China Z, it’s aliens. They are everywhere among us!

14NyquisT
    Participant

Bikemike wrote on page 1:

As for Liberatore, no to him pitching in the bigs this year. Keep him on the farm and expect him to earn a rotation spot in the Spring.

There’s no reason to do anything else. I’d be shocked to see Liberatore in Busch this season.

14NyquisT
    Participant

As for the Cards…. mail it in….. they finish 3rd in the division and it has been very tough to be a Card’s fan this season. And it seems only the die-hards will show any interest the rest of the way. Absolutely a stunning end to the game. There’s no more air left to lose in the team’s ’21 balloon.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years