2021 Cardinals MLB Game 126 thread – Sunday, August 29 at Pirates

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 126 thread – Sunday, August 29 at Pirates

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

12:05 p.m.
    LHP Kwang Hyun Kim (6-6, 3.27) vs. RHP Wil Crowe (3-7, 5.46)
    BSM // KMOX
    Also BSSW+ in Oklahoma and Arkansas and BSSO in TN, KY and MS

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The manager has to ask the general manager/VP of Operations if someone can pitch???

I wonder if Herzog would have asked Mo about that……..

r/Esteemed Rat

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

You do not seem to understand job responsibilities, Rats. The field manager does not set the roster. The front office does. So when the field manager was asked if a prospect would be added to the 40-man roster and called up to start, he properly deferred to those above him who would make that decision.

As far as Herzog is concerned, he had both jobs, so there wouldn’t have been any need for such a conversation. How the game was run 40 years ago is different from today.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

So when the field manager was asked if a prospect would be added to the 40-man roster and called up to start, he properly deferred to those above him who would make that decision.

Obviously, that’s how it works, but that’s not how it was asked of Shildt (at least as stated in the tweet). I would rather Shildt tell him it’s a dumb question unless he has missed a roster announcement.

And I don’t follow him closely, but what are some of the GM things that Girsch does besides cash a GM paycheck?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Roles do not seem obvious to everyone.

I am regularly on the Zoom calls and the questions are not always the greatest, but a problem is that the PBO is rarely available, while the manager has to stand in and take queries twice each day. So Shildt sometimes gets questions that he shouldn’t answer. I admit I have done it before since he is usually the only management voice available.

In this case, the writer was fishing for a scoop and was redirected politely. Bottom line, the question posed by our original poster is not valid. The manager cannot use a player not on the roster. It is no more complicated than that.

Save the criticism for when it is warranted. There are plenty of examples, but this isn’t one of them.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

The roles are obvious to me. My comment has nothing to do with Rat’s question. And if I were Shildt, I wouldn’t want to have to pretend to explain that to a trolling reporter. I’d professionally answer all legitimate questions and remind them that all the stupid ones get ignored. Otherwise, you just get them over and over. If he wants to play it like that, then he deserves them.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It is interesting that neither Shildt nor Mo were talking in terms of what would give us the best chance of winning. Its about do we have an arm with some innings in it for Sunday. Bling the sports journalist would have asked “In your view would Kim or Liberatore give us the best chance of winning Sunday?” If you want to catch a fish use dynamite not worms.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good idea, bling, but Shildt would just say that only one of the two is on the roster. He isn’t going to step on Mo’s toes.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Right now liberatore shouldn’t be pitching in the majors. Far as kk. I’m fine with him pitching. I don’t expect him to go long but our main guys got some rest tonight so no worries. Just need to score runs.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Do we see Sosa or DeJong in the lineup?

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hopefully Sosa but you never know with schildt. Right now I think Sosa is better playing and having Dejong coming off the bench as a dangerous pinch hitter in the late innings.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Sosa is 7 for his last 15, 11 for last 28…..I’m guessing Dejong gets the start. Dejong is a waste of roster space right now.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1. Tommy Edman (S) 2B
    2. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    3. Tyler O’Neill (R) LF
    4. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B
    5. Yadier Molina (R) C
    6. Dylan Carlson (S) RF
    7. Edmundo Sosa (R) SS
    8. Harrison Bader (R) CF
    9. Kwang Hyun Kim (L) P

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well schildt kept sosa in there, maybe he is learning. Still got goldy bathing second which is a waste. He’s one of our better rbi guys and we got him batting second. Schildt is just terrible, this team is never going to win big with him as manager in my opinion.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Sosa now is leading the Team in OBP, 5th in slg, 2nd in BA, OPS+ 113. Limited time, but 210 at bats is more than just a few. He should be playing on a regular basis the rest of the way. I would try him in the leadoff spot or two hole to see how he handles the pressure. He looks really comfortable right now. He is on a hot streak for sure. Is that ALL it is? When he cools off let’s see how far down he drops. May just have a starting Mif here.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

It gets old, but I would have been going this way for at least a couple of weeks now:

Edman
    Sosa
    Arenado
    Goldschmidt
    O’Neill
    Carlson
    Molina
    Bader

That is a lineup that could put an extra run a game on the board. I don’t really think of DeJong as a “dangerous” bat off the bench. He would run in to one now and then, but struggles to put the ball in play. He is serviceable though, a good glove with occasional power. But not someone to be feared that much coming off the bench. If Sosa finishes the season strong, perhaps DeJong can fetch some pitching in the off season. But we need a better bench as well, so tough call there. Keeping Wong would have solved a lot of that – an upgrade at both second base and the bench. Then you could use DeJong as bait to possibly secure pitching.

But then there are several top-notch shortstops that will hit free agency, so his value is going to be very little.

As for Liberatore, no to him pitching in the bigs this year. Keep him on the farm and expect him to earn a rotation spot in the Spring.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I could live with your lineup bicyclemike though I would flip molina and Carlson cause I don’t like real slow guys in front of speed guys. Actually though since oneil has struggled with runners on I might slide him down in front of bader. Far as Dejong, I think he’s dangerous as far as our options go. He’s more dangerous in my mind than carpenter. Even with dejongs struggles, his totals aren’t that bad in comparison to a lot on the team. Far as next year, I think the Cardinals should look for ways to package Dejong in a trade so as to lead to us getting one of those free agent shortstops but it depends on how serious the front office is on competing next year.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Another reason I don’t like molina down that low is it makes it hard on a pitcher to bunt. Even in a perfect bunt, molina can get thrown out so it limits the normal options when the pitcher bats.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I really enjoyed watching last night’s 18-hitter on replay this morning. I hope they set a little bit aside for today’s day game. Anybody know what their pre-game lunch was?

Rah Cardinals!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Edman
    Sosa
    Arenado
    Goldschmidt
    O’Neill
    Nootbaar
    Carlson
    Molina

cranny would like this lineup. I have Noot ahead of Carlson due to superior batting line vs RHP. But they could be flipped.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Is KK limited today?

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Great catch.

bccran
    Participant

I would like it, BB. Our Cfer is .154/.238/.187/.434 for the last month. Over 100 plate appearances.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years