2021 Cardinals MLB Game 116 thread – Wednesday, August 18 vs. Brewers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 116 thread – Wednesday, August 18 vs. Brewers

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d surrender my left pinky to see Nooty-Fruity deposit a Williams offering into the cheap seats right here.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

DeJong couldn’t hit a fly with that swing…..an insect fly.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Or a fly ball either as he whiffs flailing.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brewers thought they could catch Noot napping over there on 1st…… you’d have to wake up pretty early in the morning to make that a happening thing.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Disappointing loss for the Redbirds.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

6-4 Brewers the final.

The check swing on Arenado, the 2nd one where he didnt swing, was big because we would have have two on and one out.

Either way, Reyes has to go. He cannot be depended on. Surely to high heaven Shildt and company will finally realize that.

r/Esteemed Rat

bccran
    Participant

Should have won 3-2.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sure was, 1964Cards. Well, the only thing that you can do in a situation such as this is to go home and watch “Entourage” for an hour or two and then hit the sack…..and then get up the next morning and lace them up once again with no rememberance whatsoever of last night’s game.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Yeah you are right Pugs. Rats I know its you that just started that new thread Reyes Has To Go by INNEEDSOMERELIEF LOL!

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

The things I want to scream at Mike Shildt right now would have me banned from this website within the hour. To say I’m pissed about what happened tonight is an understatement.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Tough way to lose. Reds and Padres fading badly though….

It’s just the Brewer’s year.

Wong sure would look good at 2nd base for the Cardinals… Dumb move letting him walk.

I don’t think this team hates to lose – it does not seem to bother them….

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

“The things I want to scream at Mike Shildt right now would have me banned from this website within the hour. To say I’m pissed about what happened tonight is an understatement.”

————————-

Agreed, Black Hills. A poorly managed game, even by Shildtian standards. By needlessly pulling Genesis Cabrera after just 7 pitches and replacing him with “8th Inning Guy Gallegos,” he now can’t realistically use Gallegos (26 pitches tonight) on Thursday. And by sending Reyes back out there for the 10th inning and leaving him in forever (32 total pitches), now Alex isn’t available on Thursday either. Or maybe Shildt will just use them and risk their physical well-being, as he did the other night by deploying Gallegos one night after throwing 30 pitches.

If Cabrera had pitched the 8th (he can pitch to any part of any order, since he has reverse splits), then Gallegos could’ve pitched the 10th if it got that far. Anyway, no matter which path Shildt had chosen, anything would’ve been smarter than pulling an effective reliever after 7 pitches — but the heck of it is, he does that sort of thing all the time. He pulls highly effective pitchers on very low pitch counts all the time. All. The. Time.

This consistent, cotten-headed ninnymuggins “strategy” of his has made it much, much harder to have fresh bullpen arms for the long haul of a season, and moreover it’ll be a miracle if Cabrera, Gallegos, and Reyes are healthy to start next season. The combo of appearances/innings has been excessive for all three.

————————

But Shildt’s low point for me tonight was the bottom of the 9th. The Cards really only have have one base stealer, Tommy Edman. And whaddayaknow, he was hit by a pitch to begin the bottom of the 9th, in a tied game! If ever, oh ever, there was a spot in a ballgame that demanded a steal attempt, this was IT. If he’s safe, your victory chances increase enormously. If he’s out, so what? You’re still tied, and you have two batters who can win the game with one swing.

This is not a grey area decision. It’s an all upside choice. Yeah, you could get thrown out. (But that’s like getting intercepted if you throw deep on 4th and 25. Who cares?!) And you never know, the catcher could also airmail the ball into centerfield. Then you’re on 3rd base.

Faced with a riskier situation in the top of the 8th, Kolten Wong went ahead and stole a base against Yadi Molina. The Brewers were losing by a run, so there was a high risk/high reward situation there. And Milwaukee was aggressive, and successful.

———————-

The Cards weren’t only passive. They were also plain stupid, not to try. The contest was tied. In the bottom of the 9th. Edman’s run would literally end the game. Therefore a stolen base (steal of second, anyway) could never ever have more value than that. It’s just the odds. But Shildt/Edman/the Cards were too scared or stupid or both to attempt it. (And this isn’t even including the fact that Hader was likely at least a little bit distracted at the time, kicking himself for having nicked Edman with a pitch to begin the inning.)

Bottom line, the Brewers tried to make something happen. The Birds on the other hand were a pillar of timidity. The Cardinals sat and waited and hoped — even though they had basically nothing to lose in the 9th. Pathetic team, braindead inattentive fraidycat manager.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

This team just isn’t that good period….add in that the coach is a clueless turd and the umps were beyond terrible and you just get another typical cardinal loss against a team with a pulse…

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I absolutely despise getting swept….. especially at home

At least there were only 25,000 in the stands to disappoint. Its too bad we can’t just play the other bad teams.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I haven’t watched a game since May, and am not sure when I’ll watch one again. I checked the score a couple of times last night to see how it was going, and generally had a bad feeling about how the game was headed before I went to bed.

That said, if the last post in a game thread is by onyxgem, it’s a sure bet that the Cards lost. The pattern wasn’t broken as I caught up this morning. He’s right about one thing, though…this team just isn’t that good right now.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

and it is comical that people want Reyes to go just shows how clueless some people are and how quickly they are to over react.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Reyes definitely looked better earlier in the year. July and August ERA and WHIP is horrible. Of course, our Shildt hasn’t reacted to that bit of reality.

bccran
    Participant

If you don’t want to use Gallegos and Reyes in the last several innings of of a game, whom do you want to use?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He injured himself swinging the bat

Hence the DH next year.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If you don’t want to use Gallegos and Reyes in the last several innings of of a game, whom do you want to use?

At this point I would say our best reliever is TJ McFarland.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Let’s face it, we are who we are. We can’t beat the good teams. We can beat up on the Pirates, Royals, and Marlins but when facing a good team we can’t cut it. Hopefully we can at least beat up on the Cubs in September. We need to kick them while they are down because they may not be down for long this time.

It is what it is. We will finish 82-80 and the front office can throw a parade for having another winning season.

bccran
    Participant

I wonder why guys like Gibson, Koufax, Spahn, Marichal, Ford, Seaver, Jenkins, Ryan, Clemens, Maddux or even Bob Forsch never injured themselves swinging a bat.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The main problem I have with Shildt is he is a push-button manager. He does not use his resources based on how they have been performing, but rather he plugs them in a slot.

Right now your two hottest bullpen pitchers are Garcia and Cabrera. You used Garcia last night, but you had Cabrera for at least two inning tonight. Instead you get 7 pitches out of him, in a one run game no less.

Then Bob makes a great point on getting Edman running in the ninth. Again though, Shildt waits for something to happen rather than push the situation.

The Wong decision was a mistake, which we all knew at the time it was made. You do not let a premium defensive position player in their prime just walk away. But the Cardinals are an organization of limited resources, who try to win within a strict budget. Still Ben with that, you got to be smarter. Keep Wong and explore a deal for one of your three top middle infielders (Wong, Edman, DeJong). At least work to get some value back.

But that is a discussion for another time. Meanwhile, we are a team that is poorly managed on the field – bad batting orders, weak on risk taking, not good at going with the hot hand.

bccran
    Participant

gscottar – Is that the same McFarland who this season has had a 5.25 ERA for the AAA Rochester Wings and a 4.65 ERA for AAA Memphis Redbirds?

bccran
    Participant

Let’s not talk all doom and gloom. The Cards had the Brewers beat last night.
    Let’s go at them hard today, then play the Pirates 7 times and the Tigers twice in the next 9 games. Continue a drive towards the playoffs. I don’t care if it’s against weak teams or not.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years