2021 Cardinals MLB Game 108 thread – Thursday, August 5 vs. Braves

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 108 thread – Thursday, August 5 vs. Braves

Viewing 12 posts - 76 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Another game I don’t regret having missed. It seems no matter what I eat, they keep falling below .500.

I strongly believe all we need for success on the field is better hitting, better starting pitching, better relief pitching, better bench, and perhaps replacing the Gatorade in the dugout with cherry Cokes. Otherwise, the future looks bright.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The box score really gets my day off to a great start. Even our good players stink.

On the positive side, Lance Lynn is 10-3 with a 4.1 WAR. Wong is hitting .295 with 2.3 WAR. Adolis Garcia has 23 homers. So we can develop talent.

Bob
    Participant

Paid - Annual

100 % need to get the young players up and get them some experience. The playoff run is gone, not attainable. Get Oviedo, Woodford, Liberatore, Rondon up and get them some work in… this is the best way to salvage what is left of 2021. Let these guys get some experience and re-evaluate all players next spring.

Bob
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is exactly what Shildt said…Wow! He has to go.! Can’t keep making excuses for these guys; if you can’t throw strikes go to AAA, and let the young players get experience.

August 5, 2021 at 10:19 pm
    CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant
    Let’s see how Shildt tries to explain his way out of this one. If he says “it just wasn’t our night” or “it just didn’t work out”, he shouldn’t manage another game.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

100% need to get the young players up and get them some experience.

I was thinking the same thing, Bob, but after much reflexion, I’m not sure it’s a great idea, considering the present state of affairs. Do we really want our young talent witnessing our present group of big league players, with their myriad of flaws, in action? Those youngsters who have not been to the show during regular season play, understandably have pretty lofty expectations as to what they will about to witness. Back in the day, I was a sales manager for a group of 13. Any new driver had the fortunate opportunity of spending three days out in the field with me and then an entire week with one of our present salesperson. Would I dare have our new salesperson gain their much needed experience from a subpar employee? For example, we had a couple of drivers who no matter what you did, kept the inside of their car looking like Oscar Madison’s bedroom, from “The Odd Couple” fame. Papers and wrappers strewn everywhere. Even though these individuals had other good sales attributes, you still could not send a new person with them to learn their new trade. My point here is that I don’t want our promising young players driving with this particular group of big league players. I know it’s unrealistic not to, but I think their time up here with the big club next month should be limited. I can’t wait for next March to get here.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Well,whatever the Cardinals do it needs to be different than what they have been doing – otherwise they are just wasting time.

Bob
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good points Pugs.. But, I do think for the pitchers getting to be around Waino is a plus.. as we are unsure about his future..?

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ankiel like meltdown from the bullpen.Pathetic.After treading water all season i agree.Its time to go young.A big hell NO to a Molina extension.If Molina wants to come back on a 1 year 2 million deal to share and mentor Knizner/Herrera/Sanchez then okay.
    Say goodbye to Happ,Lster,Luis Garcia,McFarland,Poncedeleon,Andrew Miller,Justin Miler.
    Would consider LeBlance as a veteram LHp swingman.Enough of Jeff Albert and maybe Maddux has gotten stale.Schildt ?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I was thinking the same thing, Bob, but after much reflexion, I’m not sure it’s a great idea, considering the present state of affairs.

I agree Pugs. While I can understand the argument of letting the kids play, in this case I would leave them in Memphis. Part of our problem has been rushing our prospects and forcing them into situations they aren’t ready for. It is the only time our organization is aggressive. Liberatore and Thompson should have never started the season in Memphis.

Our season is basically over so we might as well let the old crusty veterans finish this dumpster fire season and let the kids DEVELOP AT THE APPROPRIATE LEVEL. I think the front office finally admitted this is what they should do with the moves they made at the deadline.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

MIL +21
    SDP +14
    STL -2

14NyquisT
    Participant

gscott:
    Our season is basically over so we might as well let the old crusty veterans finish this dumpster fire season and let the kids DEVELOP AT THE APPROPRIATE LEVEL. I think the front office finally admitted this is what they should do with the moves they made at the deadline.

You nailed it in two sentences.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The weird 2020 saw multiple guys beamed up multiple levels whether they actually played their way out of their previous level or not. And they stayed where they landed this year, and some even moved up again. Lots of young for level. Why was there organizational need for that? What happened to the guys above them? Where did they go? In 2019 was anyone, in the organization or fandom, saying we’re thin in the upper levels, or was everyone slobbering over the riches?

Viewing 12 posts - 76 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years