2021 Cardinals MLB Game 108 thread – Thursday, August 5 vs. Braves

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 108 thread – Thursday, August 5 vs. Braves

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

7:15 p.m.
    LHP Wade LeBlanc (0-2, 4.17) vs. RHP Touki Toussaint (1-2, 4.76)
    BSM // ESPN // KMOX // WIJR
    Also BSSW+ in Oklahoma and Arkansas

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

11 games out. We are just about to the point where the games dont mean alot anymore. Hopefully we can finish .500 or above this year and get healthy for 2022.

Din-din today will be a pan fried ribeye steak with butter, oil, and onions. Along with mashed potatoes/gravy and a couple of ears of Aces High sweet corn along with a glass of water. Not sure about dessert yet, might just be a couple packages of regular M&Ms.

r/Esteemed Rat

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Dang Rats thats one of my standard dinners! That and spaghetti. May have pizza tonight though. LeBlancs been ok so far so maybe we can win one tonight. Hopefully the knockahomers have used up their best pitching now? Crazy series. One game our reliefs good and the next one they’re not. If our offense ain’t working then we need to push things on the base paths. This conservative approach is killing us

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

May the gods of equilibrium return us to .500 ce soir so we can proudly announce we are not a losing team.

Rah Cardinals!

Din-din tonight was breakfast: Fried eggs. fried potatoes, toast and tea, and the rest of last night’s apple crisp. Wifey ruined the cholesterol-fest by throwing in a salad.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With the fine gentlemen’s blessings, I think I’ll rip a page out of Cardinal In France’s and Wooster’s din-din playbook tonight and do breakfast for dinner. I think I’ll go with this lineup:

1. Three poached eggs encased in drawn butter

2. Eggs placed over 2 pieces of white toast

3. Crisp bacon

4. Four small sausage links

5. Hash browns

6. French toast

7. Coffee(cream & sugar)

8. White whole milk

9. The privilege of seeing “Lucky” LeBlanc gain his maiden victory in a Cards uni. This fine hurler is the real deal.

More anchovy laced pizza for Bling tonight?

Go Birds!

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I just read on Facebook about how the Cards and Molina are perhaps negotiating a contract for 22 and 23 and how it’s understood that Herrera will be the heir apparent. And Molina is receptive to working with him during all of this.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

We are about at the point where we are playing for 2022 and beyond. Hence it makes no sense to start Matt Carpenter anymore. Why is in the lineup I do not know.

I would be playing Sosa every day through the end of the year, some at short some at second. I believe he was on base four times a few games ago, and has not played since. The same thing happened to Tommy Pham four or five years ago where we used the infamous Brandon Moss in left field.

There is a time for sentiment and a time to be real. Give Carp a couple of starts late in the year, and definitely in the last home game. But until then, play guys who have a future.

bccran
    Participant

I’ll second bicyclemike.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

We have a motion and a second.

Is there any discussion?

……..

Seeing none I will call for the vote.

All in favor of a youth movement for the rest of the year say, ‘Aye’.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think Herrera is the heir apparent anymore. Knizner has looks like he has a future in the Bigs, IMO. There’s also the possibility of the Cardinals trading for a catcher. They have prospects now that will generate interest when trade talks start up again. I think that when they extend Yadi, they will want some injury protection for that second year.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well said Mike

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Dylan Carlson (S) RF
    2. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    3. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B
    4. Tyler O’Neill (R) LF
    5. Matt Carpenter (L) 2B
    6. Harrison Bader (R) CF
    7. Paul DeJong (R) SS
    8. Andrew Knizner (R) C
    9. Wade LeBlanc (L) P

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

By August you shouldn’t have two guys hitting below .200 in the lineup. There shouldn’t be two guys hitting below .200 on the active roster.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

“Aye” on playing these final 7 weeks or so for the future. Woodford in the rotation, Sosa out there every day, Knizner starting about 35-40% of the time, etc.

It’s a bit ironic as our outfield was a problem early, but I like the three guys out there. They are talented and athletic, so keep on truckin’ with those guys.

But get some youth in the infield and go with the younger pitchers as much as possible. Although DeJong is not exactly over the hill, I would like to see an Edman-Sosa combo most of the time.

We kind of tied our hands a bit picking up these old lefties, and then falling further back right after that. But it’s okay to use them to eat innings not able to be consumed by the likes of Flaherty and Hudson. Then walk away from them in 2022.

Oh, and maybe you just shut Flaherty down for the balance of the year. Although if he is fully recovered, a few late season starts to help in getting back in rhythm for next year would not hurt.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Another FWIW on my lineup, which again is not much. But I would be this way for tonight’s tilt:

Carlson
    Sosa
    Arenado
    Goldschmidt
    O’Neill
    Bader
    Edman
    Knizner
    LeBlanc

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like that our 3 lefty FA starters are facing the same club. Let the Braves grade them.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

…and I would go with that lineup much of the time from here on out. With Molina he would slot 7th and Edman 8th.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Dejong is due $6 million next year and $9 million in 23, so I guess he will be the new Carp. It will all the harder to carry a dead weight roster spot if we also need to carry a DH. But Mo will find a way.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

DeJong is young enough such that he could regain some value. But he really has not hit well for a few seasons now so there is not a lot of optimism there.

Piling on to our woes a bit here, but Patrick Wisdom was 3 for 4 out here in Denver yesterday, driving in all three Cub runs in a 3-2 victory.

But the Rox got the series with a 6-5 win this afternoon, and Wisdom was zero for four with 2 Ks. I was down around the stadium for a little while milling around with all of these Cub fans. Easily the most popular jersey among Cub faithful is Tony Rizzo. No one else is close. I thought I might see an occasional old school guy like, Banks, Santo, Williams or Jenkins, but no go.

When we are in town sometimes you will see a Gibson or Musial jersey. For the Cubs, I am waiting to see a Frank Chance or Johnny Evers throw back. Now that would be cool. Even a Gabby Hartnett would be great.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pederson surely wants to move on from all these lefty starters.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well it’s Poppin tonight at park. Not a big crowd but it’s still a lot of fun. Dodged a bullet in the second after carpenter I guess had forgotten how to cover a bag. Maybe he can make up for it with a hit here

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Nice first-hand information, Willie! Keep those cards and letters coming.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Knizner dinger ties it up 1-1.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t know why they didn’t call for replay on arenado getting tagged out. Looked easily safe from my spot in right field. It was close but his foot looked in there.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Hey Willie !! Make ’em win tonight!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 87 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years