2021 Cardinals MLB Game 1 thread – Thu 4/1 at Reds

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 1 thread – Thu 4/1 at Reds

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Hey, it’s a new season! A lot of obstacles for watching afternoon Weekday games. Just read about Reitz — wish I hadn’t signed on. But it’s good to see the Birds have scored some runs and will hopefully get the last three outs to start the season off right.

Carter Le GrandCarter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

5-3 Pittsburgh your happy final from Wrigley this afternoon. All 3 cub tallies coming via the sac fly route. The hapless ones could only muster 2 measely hits off 7 Buc hurlers. Howard the victor with Hendricks getting saddled with the loss. Hayes for the Pirates with the game’s lone round tripper…..a towering 1st inning 2 run blow

Keep those updates and math tutorials comin’ Pugs!

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I see Reyes has kept the slim figure. Hope that leads to a slim ERA.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Anything for you, Carter!

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Reyes has the Reds down to their last out. His stuff has so much movement, but he struggles to hit the zone. Now 3-2 to Moustakas…and a walk.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Reyes now has Aquino down 1-2…and the fastball for a K! That’s a winner! Cards 11, Reds 6.

Cards 1-0 on the year.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Yeah, Reyes can close. 11-6 Birds your merry final from the Queen City.

Participant

Paid - Annual

A nice win. Lots of positives.

Carter Le GrandCarter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

anything for you Carter!

LOL…over Rover!

Participant

Free

Very nice win. Congrats, Cards.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Just read about the passing of Kenny Reitz.

Very sad. Loved to watch him play 3rdbase back in the 70s. Arenado could learn a thing or two.

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Paid - Annual

Reitz and Arenado were pretty comparable defensively, Rat. Both pretty slow of foot too. I think Arenado has more money though. Tough losing Reitz, especially at just 69. Anyone know if he had any heart issues?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Just got home and perused the box score. Wasn’t it me that’s been saying our outfield will be hitting taters left and right. It does look like Flaherty had a rough outing but pen was good. Just from box score. I’ll read up chat after din din.

Participant

Paid - Annual

O’Neill is hitting fifth in the lineup. That isn’t too bad

True but DeJong has no business batting cleanup as he sucks at hitting baseballs

Tyler might be hitting fourth before long.

Participant

Paid - Annual

One game doesn’t a season make but Jack’s struggles are a bit concerning considering he wasn’t very sharp last year either. All this talk of contracts and extensions may become a moot point.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

That first inning was a great start to the season. Some great things with good production from the offense, although the missed DP chance off the bat of Molina gave us a huge break.

Still some concerns though. Arenado and Carlson with a couple of Ks, Flaherty’s command was not good, the bullpen was a bit shaky but did the job. Again we got a break on the line out DP.

Don’t care for the batting order. DeJong just does not look like a number 4 hitter to me, as others have said. With that group I would go:

Edman
    Carlson
    Arenado
    Goldschmidt
    O’Neill
    Williams
    Molina
    DeJong

No way Shildt will hit DeJong or Molina in the 8 spot, but I would like to get the lefty bat up in order more and see what Williams can do. If DeJong hits, then you move him back up.

Man, did Carpenter look bad in the PH role or what? The guy had no clue, and looks to be done. One AB is not a final judgement of course, but after a horrible Spring and seeing him in that AB, it just looks like the horse has left the barn for him.

Watched the beginning of the Angels-White Sox last night, and Pujols and LaRussa had a big hug before the game. Wow, takes you back to 2011.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Meanwhile for the local nine out here, it was a great opener as the Rockies beat the defending World Champs. Plus our weather is great – mid 60s, and sun. Much better than in Cincy.

Participant

Free

I am pretty sure Goldy’s “double” left the park. In the final view the ball appears to change direction after hitting the billboard.

By the way, I’m experimenting with mlb.com new feature that allows you to make up to 10 highlight reals and share them, for free. This is excellent. I’ll post when I’ve learned it.

Participant

Free
    bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

That’s cool SoCal. Since the ball bounced forward, I think double is the right call. Had it bounced over, it would have been a home run.

BTW, I like that the Cardinals wear the navy blue hats against teams that have red hats. Takes me back to my first few years of being a Cardinal fan as a kid in the early ’60s when they wore those.

Wish they would come up with a plan to wear them at home now and then. I would rather them wear the navy blue hats from time to time than those “victory blue” uni’s. Not a fan of those, although it is a throw back to the ’70s and early ’80s.

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 120 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years