2020 Wild Card Series – non-Cardinals

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Wild Card Series – non-Cardinals

Viewing 11 posts - 76 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I am so thrilled that I cracked open a cold one to celebrate! My work week is pretty much done, so I am kicking back and enjoying it. Hopefully we get to double our pleasure with a Cardinal win later tonight.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Down in flames is right, Mike. NL Central is looking like the weak sister. Maybe we’re seeing why the division’s pitching seemed good this year. At least the Cards won’t be swept and they have scored some runs. At worst, they’ll be the tallest midget of the division. At best, If JF is on, they have a decent shot to advance.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The gift that keeps on giving…

Participant

Paid - Annual

Marilins are 7-0 in the playoffs. Watch out Braves.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Is the problem that the Cardinals acquired Ozuna or the fact they let him go? I am so confused. 😉

Participant

Paid - Annual

The fact that Alcantara and Mags Sierra helped end the Cubs season makes it all worth it to me. Way to go Mo.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Is the problem that the Cardinals acquired Ozuna or the fact they let him go? I am so confused. 😉”

Reminds me of the book “The Curse Of Rocky Colavito.” The author writes about the struggles of the Cleveland Indians over some 30 years after that deal was made. In it he says while dealing The Rock for Harvey Kuenn was a bad one, probably the next worst deal the Indians made was re-acquiring Rocky. In that deal they gave up promising youngsters Tommy John and Tommie Agee, both of whom went on to fine careers elsewhere, while Rocky had a couple of decent seasons back in Cleveland, but was pretty much done after that.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Seems like the Division series should be Yankees-Athletics and Rays-Astros in the AL, and Dodgers-Marlins, Padres-Braves in the NL. Especially playing in common sites, re-seeding would have been optimal.

Instead the leagues have teams 1 & 2 playing each other and 3 & 4 playing each other, if ranked by their standing within the final four group.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The 1/8 seed plays the 4/5 seed and 2/7 plays 3/6. Based on how the 2020 structure was set up, this makes sense. Both Division winners still alive play their second-place teams, so it isn’t a huge travesty, IMO. One could argue that teams that have seen one another already being in the same division would make more interesting LDS play as natural rivals.

Though I get the re-seeding argument, it just isn’t something MLB had tried before. Maybe they thought of it and maybe they didn’t. I am just happy MLB actually made it to October, but maybe I would feel differently if I followed one the second-place teams apparently disadvantaged by this setup. Fortunately, this is a one-year only arrangement.

Participant

Paid - Annual

In the NL it will be #1 vs #4 and #2 vs #6.
    In the AL it will be #1 vs #5 and #2 vs #6.

So the number 1 and number 2 seeds can’t meet until the NLCS and ALCS.. I don’t have a problem with that. Now you could make the argument that the two best teams in the NL are the Dodgers and Padres and the two best teams in the AL are the Rays and Yankees but that would be a bit subjective.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Let’s see, former Cardinals still playing – Piscotty, Arozarena, Alcantara, Sierra, Ozuna, Pham, Rosenthal, Voit – I am sure there are others. You look at that list and see who we got that is still on the club, Schrock, Gallegos, Cabrera – any others? Then of course there is Libertore, the one you hope is the next Steve Carlton and not the next Drew Pomeranz.

Viewing 11 posts - 76 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years